spc
Search similar:

uniqs

sbccjohn
@sbcc.net

sbccjohn

Anon

[COMCAST] Digital Audio from Motorola DCT2524

I have a Motorola DCT2524 and Comcast Digital Cable.
I am trying to use the coax digital audio through my
RCA home theatre system. I get sound on the non-digital
channels but not on the digital premium channels. Comcast
is trying to tell me digital audio only works through the
TV, I don't buy it. I have standard Coax out and the
digital audio coax out (no RCA video or audio out) using
the PCM digital audio cable. Any suggestions?

Cheers,
John

Denjin
join:2001-01-18
Schaumburg, IL

Denjin

I get sound from all channels using the digital coax output... Go into audio output and turn off compression and then change it to stereo instead of matrix.

However, hardly anything is DD5.1. So far today, only one movie on HBO was. The rest of the stuff that shows upa t just DD is in 2 channel or prologic it seems.
said by sbccjohn:
I have a Motorola DCT2524 and Comcast Digital Cable.
I am trying to use the coax digital audio through my
RCA home theatre system. I get sound on the non-digital
channels but not on the digital premium channels. Comcast
is trying to tell me digital audio only works through the
TV, I don't buy it. I have standard Coax out and the
digital audio coax out (no RCA video or audio out) using
the PCM digital audio cable. Any suggestions?

Cheers,
John

58483323 (banned)
Gurt me
join:2003-06-23
Normal, IL

58483323 (banned)

If you have Showtime.. The Italian Job which was just released is in DD5.1. Just to let you know.

imrf
Premium Member
join:2002-06-06
Utica, MI

imrf

Premium Member

Do you have Starz? If so next time Finding Nemo is on, see is Comcast passes the Dolby Digital EX 6.1 audio(that is if your receiver is capable of handling DDEX 6.1) or if they hack it down to DD 5.1.

Denjin
Schaumburg, IL

Denjin to sbccjohn

to sbccjohn
I have HBO and then Starz... I'll keep that last message in mind. Can't check on the Italian Job though, unfortunatey.

lumpy9138
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Elgin, IL

lumpy9138 to imrf

Premium Member

to imrf
I have the Motorola HD box, with fiber out. I got DDEX(6.1) on Finding Nemo.

imrf
Premium Member
Utica, MI

imrf

Premium Member

OK, just curious.

milehiguy
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Fort Collins, CO

2 edits

milehiguy to lumpy9138

Premium Member

to lumpy9138
lumpy - you have a DCT2524/... box with optical audio port? If so, it's the first "2500" series box that I've heard of, issued by Comcast, that has the optical port. Or are you with Cox?

For what it's worth, I have the DCT2524/1611 box (from Comcast) and use the orange digital (coax) audio port. I get sound on all channels, but DD5.1 on just 2 of them - HBO and HBOP.

I subscribe to STARZ, but have yet to hear anything come across in DD5.1 on these channels. I believe that some Showtime movies are broadcast in DD5.1, but I don't subscribe to SHO.

Probably if I purchased a VOD movie that is listed as "Widescreen/5.1" or however it's worded, it would probably come across in DD5.1 as well.

Denjin
Schaumburg, IL

Denjin

He did mention HD anyway... Maybe it is a HD-specific thing?

So is the relative lack of DD5.1 a problem with Comcast, or the actual channel provider's themselves?
said by milehiguy:
lumpy - you have a DCT2524/... box with optical audio port? If so, it's the first "2500" series box that I've heard of, issued by Comcast, that has the optical port. Or are you with Cox?

For what it's worth, I have the DCT2524/1611 box (from Comcast) and use the orange digital (coax) audio port. I get sound on all channels, but DD5.1 on just 2 of them - HBO and HBOP.

I subscribe to STARZ, but have yet to hear anything come across in DD5.1 on these channels. I believe that some Showtime movies are broadcast in DD5.1, but I don't subscribe to SHO.

Probably if I purchased a VOD movie that is listed as "Widescreen/5.1" or however it's worded, it would probably come across in DD5.1 as well.

milehiguy
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Fort Collins, CO

milehiguy

Premium Member

So is the relative lack of DD5.1 a problem with Comcast, or the actual channel provider's themselves?
No, the limited amount of DD5.1 content (& channels) that gets streamed to the customer is by design, probably to save bandwidth. A good example is STARZ - I've yet to hear anything on any of the STARZ channels come across in DD5.1, yet many (most?) of the movies I watch on STARZ have a DD5.1 soundtrack, if you were to rent them from Blockbuster or whatever.

imrf
Premium Member
Utica, MI

imrf to Denjin

Premium Member

to Denjin
said by Denjin:
Comcast is the problem. I have Starz and almost all shows are DD5.1, sure there are some older shows that don't have 5.1 but they didn't have it in the first place. Same goes with HBO and Showtime for me.
spalt
join:2004-06-15
Laurel, MD

3 edits

spalt to sbccjohn

to sbccjohn
Sorta related to this, I just got my DCT2524 yesterday and immediately hooked up the digital audio to my receiver.

However, it seems to me that on content that is not in 5.1 (as said above, like everything), Comcast is sending the regular 2 channel stereo signal to the left and right speakers, and leaving the rest silent. This is pretty annoying to me as my receiver refuses to do prologic processing on a digital signal, so I get sound out of my left and right and nothing else.

Anyone else notice this or is it just a regional thing (wouldn't surprise me)? Or is it just my receiver being crappy (which it is)? I'm in Anne Arundel county, MD.

Denjin
Schaumburg, IL

Denjin

I think they do that in Chicago, too. On my receiver though, I can tell it to do Prologic (but I tell it to do 5 channel audio on it), and I can get the other channels.

However, only the R and L speaker lights are on by default on the 'D' channels. Quite poor 'digital audio' lineup on Comcast for sure.
said by spalt:
Sorta related to this, I just got my DCT2524 yesterday and immediately hooked up the digital audio to my receiver.

However, it seems to me that on content that is not in 5.1 (as said above, like everything), Comcast is sending the regular 2 channel stereo signal to the left and right speakers, and leaving the rest silent. This is pretty annoying to me as my receiver refuses to do prologic processing on a digital signal, so I get sound out of my left and right and nothing else.

Anyone else notice this or is it just a regional thing (wouldn't surprise me)? Or is it just my receiver being crappy (which it is)? I'm in Anne Arundel county, MD.