join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC
·TELUS
Actiontec T3200M
Arcadyan WE410443-TS
Sipura SPA-2102

MacGyver

Need pics of demarcs please

I'd like to add some pictures of the different types of demarcs in use to the »Inside Wiring FAQ FAQ. If you would be so kind as to take a pic of your demarc and post it here, whether it be inside or outside, and in the open and closed position, we can add it to the FAQ to help others identify their demarc.

Thanks!

Happyrat6
Google Is Your Best Friend
Premium Member
join:2002-07-01
Disneyland

Happyrat6

Premium Member

Click for full size
Here's mine

ShawnDAlimonte
@216.59.x.x

ShawnDAlimonte to MacGyver

Anon

to MacGyver
Here is what is used in older installations when Bell owned the inside wire. I have seen these in houses built in the 60s and 70s.

You make the connections on the two outside terminals. The middle terminal is the ground wire for the surge protection. In this case the top wire is the incoming wire from Bell and the bottom one is heading to a junction box to go to the extenstions. Usually all of the externsions just attach directly to the terminals.

modemadvice
@avalonworks.net

modemadvice

Anon

I think it's important to note that even if you have terminals such as the one above, this does not mean this is your demarcation point. I have the ones like above but also have a NID installed outside.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

Click for full size
Click for full size
As Requested...

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to MacGyver

Premium Member

to MacGyver

Distribution Device
Also a pic of a distribution device, usually located beside the electrical panel, used to connect the extension jacks thruout the house.
exseven8
Premium Member
join:2003-05-23
L8E0G6

exseven8 to MacGyver

Premium Member

to MacGyver
Click for full size
6Line Outside Demarc. will port cover pictures later

Airwolf
Premium Member
join:2001-10-30
Windsor, ON

1 edit

Airwolf to MacGyver

Premium Member

to MacGyver
Click for full size
Click for full size
Even though I don't have ADSL anymore I had taken these a while back from an older topic I made. Hope I can contribute with these. Shows how messy a demarc can be if not properly maintained.
arcaneind
join:2003-05-06
Orangeville, ON

arcaneind to MacGyver

to MacGyver
Click for full size
Here is my demarc. It is the same one causing me problems from my post:

»My neighbours telephone line is in my house!

The white line is actually connected to the line of the person 6 houses down! If I unplug it and connect into the beige demarc, I cut off all of my proper lines in the house!

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS

Whatever that is, it's no demarc. I don't even see a proper ground. No surge protection, either. Looks like something somebody who didn't know about wiring might do.

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly

Just A Grumpy Old Man: What are you talking about? That looks like a normal looking Demarcation point to me.
The ground is usually found at the NID box, outside of the house, not the inside at the Demarc terminal bloc.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

1 edit

DKS

said by Pauly:
Just A Grumpy Old Man: What are you talking about? That looks like a normal looking Demarcation point to me.
The ground is usually found at the NID box, outside of the house, not the inside at the Demarc terminal bloc.

It looks like two phone jacks bought at Rat Shack and badly wired.

As for the ground being at the NID, not true. In older systems such as mine done in the 1960's, the ground runs from the incoming wire to the cold water pipe about 3 feet from the demarc on the inside wall (there is no NID or exterior demarc).

JayMan26
Whoot
Premium Member
join:2002-06-05
Earth

JayMan26 to MacGyver

Premium Member

to MacGyver
Those are dollar store jacks. BTW Bell can't charge you to fix that problem with your line being connected to someone elses. The problem lies outside your demarc so it is there job to fix it.

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly to MacGyver

to MacGyver
that may be true, but we are not living in the 1960's anymore. the last time i checked, it was 2004, and by looking at the wires, they appear to be cat5, so it would make sense that this was installed recently, so the demarc not to have a ground wire there. Good point though about the 1960's, I'll give u credit for that.
piotrick
join:2003-01-27
Scarborough, ON

piotrick to MacGyver

to MacGyver
Click for full size
Click for full size
Here is my 2 line demarc, recently installed.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS to Pauly

to Pauly
said by Pauly:
and by looking at the wires, they appear to be cat5, so it would make sense that this was installed recently, so the demarc not to have a ground wire there.
Then it's not a demark. the NID is the demarc. It is a jack leading from the demarc. but the owner says it actually is a demarc.

My thinking? It's a really badly wired jack that is NOT a demarc. If it's a demarc and there is no NID, then it's not up to Bell standards at all.
something
join:2003-12-01
North York, ON

something to MacGyver

to MacGyver
Shawns Demarc is what they used before the 70's
and is an Inside Demarc only!

DKS and Airwolfs Demarc is what started to replace Shawns however they are Outside Demarc's but used inside also.

Hivolts demarc is what they have used since the 70's up until now, this can also be seen in Happyrat's picture and is for Inside only. That product is a smaller version of the 66Block that is used for bigger feeds and for business.
The 66Block was replaced by BIX some 20 years ago but is not used in residential applications unless there is a business in the house with a phone system.

exseven's Demarc is the latest product and is for outside but the very odd one is installed inside too in special circumstance.
This demarc if you look at it has Bell's lines coming in and terminating onto screws on the left but you cant see it as the cover in the picture is closed....they feed the small RJ jacks on the far right and a small Mod cord is plugged into them and from there feeds the screws in the middle where the customer can attach their own wiring.
The mod cords and jacks are for a quik disconnect if needed!

As for arcaneind's picture they are probably cat3 not cat5 and is like a secondary inside demarc somebody installed so they dont have to go outside all the time....all those cat3's do is go out to the true demarc outside and I bet it looks just like exseven's demarc outside based on the age of the house.
arcaneind's problem with the neighbour is because at one time there might have been 2 lines coming into the house or a Bell tech wired it up for future on the pole or can outside then one day another tech comes along to give a neighbour dial tone uses the same 2nd pair going to arcaneind's house but does not relize it's looped their.
A simple fix for most techs but not some rookies.

Wished to hell now that I had taken pictures of all the demarcs I seen in the last 20 years some bieng as old as day one!!, you guys would have had a field day lol.

Cheers

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by something:
Wished to hell now that I had taken pictures of all the demarcs I seen in the last 20 years some bieng as old as day one!!, you guys would have had a field day lol.

Cheers

In my old house the wire was cotton wrapped and there were carbon rod lightning protectors. When the house was rewired, the old wiring was left in place and cut off.
bimwad
join:2003-07-22
Toronto

bimwad to MacGyver

to MacGyver
Click for full size
inside nid
Click for full size
outside nid pair
Click for full size
outside nid pair 2
Click for full size
outside nid pair 3
three lines coming into the house... two NID boxes, one of the lines goes straight to an inside demarc that's just a jack.
Bell has done all the work, except the shielded pair from the outside to my DSL splitter.

JayMan26
Whoot
Premium Member
join:2002-06-05
Earth

JayMan26

Premium Member

This is a NID, not that old school stuff.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

We don't need reposts of pics that have already been posted, folks! Post if you have something that doesn't look like anything in here.
GlennS
join:2002-04-19
Montreal, QC

GlennS to MacGyver

to MacGyver
Click for full size
Bell put in a new cable four years ago and ran new wires to each house. I guess my demarc dates back to then. I don't have a ground wire.

bylo
Premium Member
join:2004-05-04
Waterloo, ON

bylo to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
This is also what you'd get in a townhouse development, e.g. as described in »Demarc wiring question

Leathal
Premium Member
join:2002-02-09
Richmond Hill, ON

Leathal to GlennS

Premium Member

to GlennS
said by GlennS:
Bell put in a new cable four years ago and ran new wires to each house. I guess my demarc dates back to then. I don't have a ground wire.

You don't have any fuses unless they are inside your house. This is a bad thing because if you don't fuses or a ground wire and lightening where to strike your phone line everything would be toast in your house!

I would make a curtsy call to Bell Canada asking them "why is there no fuses or ground cable on my phone line??". (grin)

Leathal