guhuna

Premium Member

[COMCAST] Comcast cable TV problems

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Well for some reason or another I am having major problems with comcast cable TV in my room, what happens is that the channels get all garbled and such where I cant hear audio or video, and this is the one room in the house with the problem, it works fine in my sisters room but not mine, it been working great for the past 3 years in my room no problems, until about a week ago when all of this stuff started to happen, my father is out of town so I cant call because they ask for the last 3 digits of his SS card and no way to get ahold of him, I made sure all of the cables were hooked up right and checked the outside box for any loose cables but found none, anyone got any clues?

EDIT: I just changed the cable boxes from my sisters room to mine and still same problem.

panth1
The Coyote
join:2000-12-11
Port Saint Lucie, FL

panth1

Look under the In Band status page of the diagnostics and see what numbers you get.

guhuna
Premium Member
join:2001-03-31
Benicia, CA

1 edit

guhuna

Premium Member

Click for full size
ahh now its says signal poor.
EDIT: the cable run is only about 25 feet, but the cable is about 10 years old, but again it was working fine until a couple days ago.

panth1
The Coyote
Port Saint Lucie, FL

panth1 to guhuna

to guhuna
Yea your noise ratio is low which means you have a lot of noise in your system. Maybe even a low signal at the jack in your room. That's why you get the signal breakup.

Tune other digital channels and then check the In Band data to see if it's all the same.

Try to find out how the cables are run in your residence and how many splitters you have between your box and the incoming line.

If your not to familiar with it, you may just have to wait till you can get Comcast out to look at the problem.

guhuna
Premium Member
Benicia, CA

guhuna

Premium Member

there is one big splitter at the box outside of our house, it has like 5-6 outputs I think, our house is not a loop system, there are 6 rooms all with there own cable line, which is going to make it hard to find the problem, I tuned to all of the other higher up channels with a little bit better SNR but again the lower seem to have more noise.

panth1
The Coyote
Port Saint Lucie, FL

panth1 to guhuna

to guhuna
Post a picture of the diagnostics from the other boxes in your house.

You may also want to go check out the splitter(s) and make sure the connectors look ok. Maybe even swap your line to another port and see what happens.

guhuna
Premium Member
Benicia, CA

guhuna

Premium Member

Click for full size
here is a pic of her TV, I get the same SNR on all channels, I will try swapping the lines tonight.

panth1
The Coyote
Port Saint Lucie, FL

panth1 to guhuna

to guhuna
Also check the connectors because they can cause problems like this.

guhuna
Premium Member
Benicia, CA

guhuna

Premium Member

Click for full size
Well I did as you suggested and guess what! it worked, I changed all of the wires around down at the box and the signal jumped, so I turned the box off for about 15 min to let it reset and I get these numbers now!
WOW I never thought switching wires around would do such a small thing thanks a lot for your help!!

panth1
The Coyote
Port Saint Lucie, FL

panth1 to guhuna

to guhuna
Did you just just swap some of the cables on the splitter? Was it one splitter or multiple?

Sometimes static can build up on the cable line and unplugging it will discharge it as well as the a connector needs to be tightened.

Also check the other tv's and make sure the problem wasn't moved to another outlet.

guhuna
Premium Member
Benicia, CA

guhuna

Premium Member

ya I just checked my garage tv and all seems well, it was a 4 way splitter with a 2 way and the 2 way was before the 4 way so I took the 4 way put it first the took the 2 way and put it second, there are 3 rooms without tv's so it doesn't matter if those rooms are affected.

jarib7
End User
join:2003-04-06
Lake Cowichan, BC

jarib7

said by guhuna:
ya I just checked my garage tv and all seems well, it was a 4 way splitter with a 2 way and the 2 way was before the 4 way so I took the 4 way put it first the took the 2 way and put it second, there are 3 rooms without tv's so it doesn't matter if those rooms are affected.

A 2way and a 4way add up to 5. You're not using 3 so that leaves 2. You might only need the 2way splitter which would boost your signal by a bit.