spc
Search similar:

uniqs
MatthewV
join:2004-07-18

4 edits

MatthewV

Trying to understand enabling/using Syslog Server

Before I ask a question on a forum, I try my best to research the topic.
My SMC Router has a menu where I can choose to enable the automatic downloading of the Router log.

I'm new to networking and routers; I've tried to research this on several forums and in newsgroups using google and about all that I have learned/come up with is that in order to make this work, I'm supposed to install 3rd-party software.
There's a freeware software program called "Kiwi" that is frequently recommended here and elsewhere.
What surprised me is that it appears that this is about the only such software program that I've seen mentioned; i.e. there doesn't seem to be anything else to choose from.

There are several aspects about this that I need help with.
1) From this site ( »www.kiwisyslog.com/softw ··· ad%20Now ), there is a HUGE variety of stuff to download -- which program (and which version of it) am I supposed to choose/download ?
Am I supposed to choose something from here instead ?

2) As you can see in the picture up above, I can have the log downloaded to a specified server IP address.
I have several computers in my network at home. Is the IP address that is being asked for the interal IP address of one of my networked computers ?
If I change my mind about which computer I want the log downloaded to, will I have to install this "Kiwi" program on each additional computer ?
And in the discussion on this forum, I can
quote:
"What you can also do is enable E-MAIL ALERT CONFIGURATION, when the log is full it will send an e-mail containing the full log, hence you can start collecting e-mails containing pieces of log."
I'm confused about what I am supposed to do -- specifically, does this mean that, besides the log that will be sent to the IP address that I specify (in the menu shown in the picture), that another copy of the log will also be sent in an email to me ?

3) I read here that the log information is limited
quote:
"Yeah, it seems that the Syslog is lodging the information.
Unfortunately you get only limited information logged by the Router.
Not all activities performed by the Router is lodged in the security log."

"I can understand what you are expecting.
Yes, the SMC Router has simple logging system. It doesn't have Incoming Log (log of Source IP Address and Destination Port Numbers for all incoming Internet Traffic) and Outgoing Log (log of all the URL's and IP Address of Internet Sites that the users on your network have accessed) as you have on your Linksys Router."
The discussion was referring to the SMC2804WBR router. Is it likely that the information in the log for my SMC2304WBR-AG will also be limited ?

Thank you very much for your time and help. I never expected that I was going to have to install and learn how to use another piece of software just to view my router's log. (Although according to this discussion, it looks like this is the same situation for other routers). Why did the router manufacturers find it necesarry to have the user use a 3rd party piece of software just to view the log ?

inmuck
Idiot In The East
Premium Member
join:2003-01-29
Raleigh, NC

inmuck

Premium Member

said by MatthewV:
1) From this site ( »www.kiwisyslog.com/softw ··· ad%20Now ), there is a HUGE variety of stuff to download -- which program (and which version of it) am I supposed to choose/download ?
Am I supposed to choose something from here instead ?
You are supposed to download Kiwi Syslog daemon The link page is provided below,
»www.kiwisyslog.com/produ ··· m#syslog
said by MatthewV:
2) Is the IP address that is being asked for the interal IP address of one of my networked computers ?
If I change my mind about which computer I want the log downloaded to, will I have to install this "Kiwi" program on each additional computer ?
Then you need to install the Kiwi Syslog Server on those computer, you don't need to worry as it is a freeware. However you need to reconfigure the Syslog setting on the Router to the computer every time you change the computers.
said by MatthewV:
3)The discussion was referring to the SMC2804WBR router. Is it likely that the information in the log for my SMC2304WBR-AG will also be limited ?
Yes, As discussed on that post, the SMC routers doesn't provided more elaborate information like the Site watched, incoming logs. etc.