Airwolf
Premium
join:2001-10-30
Windsor, ON
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to JayMan26

Re: -TORNADO WARNING FOR OTTAWA

Yea, it's pretty scaring when all of a sudden you hear about a tornado touch down in your city and start to wonder what damage it's doing and to what and whom or even if you'll be hit as well. I was skeptical that something like that wouldn't happen here but it almost has and wasn't really a pleasant feeling. Although watching the cloud before was. Wish I could have taken pictures of them, quite disturbing.
--
The love you never gave, but I give you to. You really don't deserve it, but now there's nothing you can do. - Silent Hill 4 (Room of Angel)

Irenic

join:2000-05-02
Ottawa, ON
reply to JayMan26

So that's what was happening to the west!

I was biking home today oblivious of any such news when a wall of water started pouring on my head. I had to close my eyes and hope I was going the right way

In all seriousness though I hope there's as little damage/injury as possible.

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON
kudos:2
reply to JayMan26

Parliament is not in session.....so no one will be hurt if the Parliamentary buildings are levelled.....I'd cheer...

Snickerdo
Premium
join:2001-02-28
Niagara Falls, ON
reply to JayMan26

I remember back in school, teachers would say that we never get tornados here. I have seen three in the Niagara Region myself. Full of crap they were.

Southwestern Ontario is a northern extension of the USA's 'Tornado Alley.' Southern Ontario gets more tornados then the rest of Canada combined.
--
Bigot - Someone that has won an argument with a Liberal.
Yes, I CanChat. Can You? www.fiberal.ca

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
reply to JayMan26

I waited for the first band to go through and then left to go to a friend's place. I was driving on the 416 (it's between the 401 and Ottawa) and traffic had slowed to about 50 km/h as the rain was pretty hard (wipers on high, cars with 4-way flashers on) when suddenly I was hit with a gust of wind and a WALL of water that was like a wave from the ocean. The car in front of me disappeared (it was bright red and had all it's lights on) and I could barely see the end of my own hood. Fortunately, I knew I was close to an overpass, so I slowed down to around 20, found I could see well enough to crawl along the shoulder, and got to the bridge about a minute later. I sat there for 15 minutes while others crawled by and a few stopped and sat with me.

I've driven in heavy snow, brutal freezing rain, heavy fog, rain, wind, everything. This was probably the most intimidating weather I've ever seen.

We just passed the 10 year anniversary of the tornado that touched down in Aylmer and we get this storm. An odd coincidence.
--
"I was lined up for glory, but the tickets sold out in advance" - Peart/Lee/Lifeson
Join Team Helix

JayMan26
Whoot
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Earth
reply to JayMan26

Just a reminder

DO NOT go under any kind of highway overpass in the event of a tornado.

The shape of the bridge compresses the wind and you have a greater chance of being killed then you would lying in a ditch.
--
SKYCAM LIVE - »www.weatherserver.net

quickbeam
Premium
join:2003-06-01
reply to JayMan26

I live in Center Town Ottawa, this storm didn't even come close in intensity to the one we had on Canada day. I suppose other parts of the city could have been hit harder but this storm was nothing.

Expand your moderator at work

darkeans
Premium
join:2004-07-07
Calgary, AB
reply to JayMan26

any how many times has the weather forecasts been 100% correct. It is NOT an exact science.! that is my point.

you
Mmm, gravy train.
Premium
join:2004-06-06
Toronto, ON

said by darkeans:
any how many times has the weather forecasts been 100% correct. It is NOT an exact science.! that is my point.

That's true. But tornados exist in Eastern Canada and are more prevelent here than anywhere else in Canada. But why did you emphatically, to the point of being nearly apoplectic (look it up), deny the existence of torndoes west of Manitoba? It must be another case of supposed Western alienation. You just can't stand to be left out.

Deschutes
Dum De Da De Da De Dum
Premium
join:2002-06-20
Las Vegas
reply to darkeans

said by darkeans:

No back-peddling here, darkeans. You specifically said:
said by darkeans:
Pls folks get a grip. Tornados don't occur on the eastcoast of Canada.
So please, spare us the headache and just admit that you said something totally and completely preposterous.
--
Give a man a free hand and he'll run it all over you. ~Mae West

Desi
Premium
join:2002-05-05
Kanata, ON
reply to JayMan26

That, and Ottawa isn't on the Eastcoast.:D
--
Sala Kala Kuta Mod!

JayMan26
Whoot
Premium
Earth

1 recommendation

reply to darkeans

said by darkeans:

TORNADO WARNINGS are only issued if Radar Image or a Spotters reports one. They are not just issued because they may be a chance of one. They are issued because there is one. And there was right now 4 tornados spotted yesterday and 2 of them by the police.
--

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
reply to quickbeam

said by quickbeam:
I live in Center Town Ottawa, this storm didn't even come close in intensity to the one we had on Canada day. I suppose other parts of the city could have been hit harder but this storm was nothing.
I live in centretown too, and where I was during this storm (south of Barrhaven) was more severe. The rain while I was driving was like July 1st; the rain I stopped for was 2 to 3 times the intensity.

said by JayMan26:
Just a reminder

DO NOT go under any kind of highway overpass in the event of a tornado.

The shape of the bridge compresses the wind and you have a greater chance of being killed then you would lying in a ditch.
Quite true; I stopped under the bridge so that I might have a chance of seeing beyond the end of my hood. I was out of the car and looking around (having already scoped out a ditch nearby) as there wasn't a hope of seeing a funnel from inside the car because the rain was so intense you couldn't see and too loud to hear anything than it hitting the car.

Snickerdo
Premium
Niagara Falls, ON
reply to JayMan26

said by JayMan26:
TORNADO WARNINGS are only issued if Radar Image or a Spotters reports one. They are not just issued because they may be a chance of one. They are issued because there is one. And there was right now 4 tornados spotted yesterday and 2 of them by the police.
Exactly. A Tornado Watch is issued when there is the chance of tornados occurring. A Tornado Warning means that a tornado has been physically seen, or a storm with rotation and/or a vortex signature is showing up on radar. Even if there is no tornado on the ground, a storm with rotation means that funnel clouds are present (even if you can't see them) and everyone should seek shelter right away, as a tornado could 'come out of nowhere.'
--
Expand your moderator at work

JayMan26
Whoot
Premium
Earth
reply to JayMan26

EC Confirms Tornado

Well this throws the whole no tornado theory right out the window does it.

WCN11 CWTO 111843
SPECIAL WEATHER SUMMARY FOR ALL OF SOUTHERN ONTARIO AND
THE NATIONAL CAPITAL REGION
ISSUED BY ENVIRONMENT CANADA TORONTO
AT 2:42 PM EDT WEDNESDAY 11 AUGUST 2004.

SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS FROM HALIBURTON TO THE OTTAWA VALLEY TUESDAY
AUGUST 10.

-------------------------------------------------------------

ENVIRONMENT CANADA WISHES TO ACKNOWLEDGE THE INVALUABLE INFORMATION
PROVIDED TO THE ONTARIO STORM PREDICTION CENTRE BY THE ONTARIO
PROVINCIAL POLICE AND THE CANWARN STORM SPOTTER NETWORK.

SEVERAL LINES OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS TRACKED EASTWARD FROM
FROM THE HALIBURTON REGION TO THE OTTAWA VALLEY TUESDAY.

AN INVESTIGATION TEAM IS CURRENTLY SURVEYING THE DAMAGE FROM
YESTERDAY'S STORMS AND HAVE SO FAR CONFIRMED THAT A FUJITA SCALE ONE
TORNADO OCCURED NEAR BURNSTOWN, 10 KM SE OF RENFREW, NEAR 3:50 PM
TUESDAY EVENING. THE TORNADO CREATED A PATH OF DAMAGE APPROXIMATELY
1.8 KM LONG AND 200 M TO 300 M WIDE. DAMAGE FROM THIS TORNADO
INCLUDED THE ROOF AND TWO WALLS BEING REMOVED FROM A BARN, A SHED
WAS COMPLETELY DESTROYED, TREES WERE UPROOTED AND SNAPPED. A FUJITA
SCALE ONE TORNADO CAN HAVE ASSOCIATED WINDS UP TO 179 KM/H. FURTHER
INVESTIGATION IS CONTINUING TODAY FOR ADDITIONAL REGIONS.
THE FOLLOWING PRELIMINARY REPORTS WERE RECEIVED AS OF 2:00 PM.

DATE
TIME(LCL) LOCATION EVENT DESCRIPTION

1:48 PM PEMBROKE 2-3 CM HAIL.

2:05 PM BANCROFT PINE TREES DOWN. TOPS OFF
MAPLE TREES.

2:35 PM BANCROFT TREES AND WIRES DOWN ACROSS ROADS
NEAR HWY 62 AND 28 (OPP REPORT).

3:20 PM BONNECHERE TREE DAMAGE 10 KM NORTH OF
PROVINCAL PARK (OPP REPORT).
PARK

3:50 PM PEMBROKE 56 MM OF RAIN SINCE 3:50 PM.
MAIN STREET FLOODED.
FLOODED BASEMENTS.

3:50 PM BURNSTOWN COMFIRMED FUJITA SCALE ONE TORNADO.
(10 KM SE OF INITIAL REPORT RECEIVED BY OPP.
RENFREW) BARN ROOF AND 2 SIDES GONE, DEBRIS
CARRIED 500 M AWAY, SHED DESTROYED,
SNAPPED AND UPROOTED TREES, HYDRO
LINES DOWN. NO INJURIES.

4:40 PM PAKENHAM SEVERAL FUNNEL CLOUDS REPORTED BY
TRAINED SPOTTER.

6:30 PM 10 KM SW OF FUNNEL REPORTED BY TRAINED SPOTTER.
RICHMOND TOUCHED ON OR CLOSE TO GROUND BEFORE
LIFTING BACK UP.

6:55 PM NORTH GOWER ROTATING WALL CLOUD REPORTED BY
TRAINED SPOTTER.

UNKNOWN FITZROY LARGE TREE FELL ON HOUSE. REPORT
HARBOUR RECEIVED THROUGH MEDIA BROADCAST.

UNKNOWN LANARK 13 YEAR OLD STRUCK BY LIGHTNING.
HIGHLANDS REPORT RECEIVED THROUGH MEDIA
BROADCAST.

UNKNOWN STITTSVILLE 47 YEAR OLD STRUCK BY LIGHTNING.
REPORT RECEIVED THROUGH MEDIA
BROADCAST.

UNKNOWN DUNROBIN HAY CAUGHT ON FIRE DUE TO LIGHTNING.
REPORT RECEIVED THROUGH MEDIA
BROADCAST.

CODE: SN= SNOW LT= LIGHTNING
BZ= BLIZZARD DW= DAMAGING WINDS
SQ= SNOWSQUALL HA= HAIL
FR= FREEZING RAIN TO= TORNADO
FD= FREEZING DRIZZLE WS= WATERSPOUT
IP= ICE PELLETS HR= HEAVY RAINFALL
FZ= FLASH FREEZE HH= HIGH HUMIDITY
WC= WIND CHILL XH= EXTREME HEAT
HW= HIGH WINDS DD= DUST DEVIL

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS SUMMARY CONTAINS THE OBSERVATIONS AT
THE TIME OF BROADCAST AND DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN OFFICIAL
AND FINAL REPORT OF THE WEATHER EVENTS OR THE HIGH
IMPACT EVENTS ATTRIBUTED TO THE WEATHER EVENTS.

END/RET/GR/RL/KH
--

darkeans
Premium
join:2004-07-07
Calgary, AB
reply to Deschutes

Deschutes;

quote:

No back-peddling here, darkeans. You specifically said:

Carrie, pls allow me to back peedle.!

I suppose they have the ocassional snowflake in Los Angeles or Miami. That doesn't mean snow is a natural phenomen there.

Tornadoes are not normal for eastern Canada as compared to other parts of the world. If given the choice between posting a negative or positive slant on a story, the media always opts for the worst case scenario. Bad news sells more newspapers.!

Which heading would sell more newspapers.?

"Tornado to hit Toronto".

"Heavy rains and high rain may miss Toronto"

Again this is grand standing by our media.

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON

said by darkeans:

Tornadoes are not normal for eastern Canada as compared to other parts of the world.

Maybe not normal but they do occur, as in the very large tornado that devastated Barrie in 1985. My father believes he drove through Barrie about 4 minutes before it hit.

About 25 years ago one hit just north of our cottage on the French River headed south directly for us across the river. We watched it from our porch as it narrowly missed us to the right. It then ripped the top half of a giant pine tree and threw it onto our kitchen, destroying the roof. The dock, and both boats were ripped from shore.
--
"I used to Rock&Roll all night and party every day.....Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find half an hour a week in which to get funky." H.S.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
reply to darkeans

said by darkeans:
Tornadoes are not normal for eastern Canada as compared to other parts of the world. If given the choice between posting a negative or positive slant on a story, the media always opts for the worst case scenario. Bad news sells more newspapers.!

This is completely, utterly silly and entirely ignorant of the facts.

Southern Ontario is the "Tornado Alley" of Canada. Please read the link I posted above. Tornadoes are completely normal weather phenomenon for Southern Ontario. They are serious business, causing tremendous damage and loss of life.

Now please stop before you say something which will draw even more ridicule from this thread.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to JayMan26

People, I think he just cannot admit he is wrong, might as well save the typing unless you like the finger exercise!
--
I cannot deny anything I did not say

mr weather
Premium
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON
reply to Ian

said by Ian:
Maybe not normal but they do occur, as in the very large tornado that devastated Barrie in 1985. My father believes he drove through Barrie about 4 minutes before it hit.
My good friend has a cousin who was nearly killed in the Barrie tornado. The funnel came with several hundred feet of his house. Apparently to this day whenever a weather warning is issued he freaks out big time.

Was this the same one that went through Woodstock, Ontario or am I thinking of another episode?
--
Happy customer of SSVLON39DS0!

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

said by mr weather:
My good friend has a cousin who was nearly killed in the Barrie tornado. The funnel came with several hundred feet of his house. Apparently to this day whenever a weather warning is issued he freaks out big time.

Was this the same one that went through Woodstock, Ontario or am I thinking of another episode?
Woodstock was different, but around the same time (mid 80's). I was down there a week after. It was a mess. I was in a tornado in 1969, but since I was only months old I do not remember It was around Ingersoll (next to Woodstock). Tornadoes are so common dad knew just by the clouds there was one coming (so says my mom).
--
I cannot deny anything I did not say

Karebear
Back
Premium
join:2001-11-07
Oakville, ON
reply to DKS

said by DKS:
said by darkeans:

This is completely, utterly silly and entirely ignorant of the facts.

Southern Ontario is the "Tornado Alley" of Canada. Please read the link I posted above. Tornadoes are completely normal weather phenomenon for Southern Ontario. They are serious business, causing tremendous damage and loss of life.

Now please stop before you say something which will draw even more ridicule from this thread.

I think Guelph is like the Tornado capital of Canada they get so many... but ignorance is bliss i suppose.
--

I AM CANADIAN.GO LEAFS GO

Snickerdo
Premium
Niagara Falls, ON

said by Karebear:
I think Guelph is like the Tornado capital of Canada they get so many... but ignorance is bliss i suppose.
Actually, Guelph is a bit too far north. The actual area is a line along the 401 from Chatham-Kent to Woodstock. Regardless, any area south of Algonquin Park is a target for tornados in Canada. Darkens is just being an idiot.
--

Snickerdo
Premium
Niagara Falls, ON
reply to DKS

said by DKS:
Hell, Southern Ontario is part of the USA's Tornado Alley! If you look at a map, you'll see that it ends at Lake Erie. It continues on the other side in Ontario! As I said so many times in this thread, Southern Ontario gets more tornadoes every year then the rest of Canada combined!
--

JayMan26
Whoot
Premium
Earth

1 edit
reply to JayMan26

Flood Pics

Click for full size

Ohhh Water
I scanned these out of todays paper.