darkeans
Premium Member
join:2004-07-07
Calgary, AB

darkeans to JayMan26

Premium Member

to JayMan26

Re: -TORNADO WARNING FOR OTTAWA

any how many times has the weather forecasts been 100% correct. It is NOT an exact science.! that is my point.

you2
Mmm, gravy train.
Premium Member
join:2004-06-06
Toronto, ON

you2

Premium Member

said by darkeans:
any how many times has the weather forecasts been 100% correct. It is NOT an exact science.! that is my point.

That's true. But tornados exist in Eastern Canada and are more prevelent here than anywhere else in Canada. But why did you emphatically, to the point of being nearly apoplectic (look it up), deny the existence of torndoes west of Manitoba? It must be another case of supposed Western alienation. You just can't stand to be left out.

Deschutes
Dum De Da De Da De Dum
Premium Member
join:2002-06-20
Las Vegas

Deschutes to darkeans

Premium Member

to darkeans
said by darkeans:

No back-peddling here, darkeans. You specifically said:
said by darkeans:
Pls folks get a grip. Tornados don't occur on the eastcoast of Canada.
So please, spare us the headache and just admit that you said something totally and completely preposterous.

JayMan26
Whoot
Premium Member
join:2002-06-05
Earth

1 recommendation

JayMan26 to darkeans

Premium Member

to darkeans
said by darkeans:

TORNADO WARNINGS are only issued if Radar Image or a Spotters reports one. They are not just issued because they may be a chance of one. They are issued because there is one. And there was right now 4 tornados spotted yesterday and 2 of them by the police.

Snickerdo3
Premium Member
join:2001-02-28
Niagara Falls, ON

Snickerdo3

Premium Member

said by JayMan26:
TORNADO WARNINGS are only issued if Radar Image or a Spotters reports one. They are not just issued because they may be a chance of one. They are issued because there is one. And there was right now 4 tornados spotted yesterday and 2 of them by the police.
Exactly. A Tornado Watch is issued when there is the chance of tornados occurring. A Tornado Warning means that a tornado has been physically seen, or a storm with rotation and/or a vortex signature is showing up on radar. Even if there is no tornado on the ground, a storm with rotation means that funnel clouds are present (even if you can't see them) and everyone should seek shelter right away, as a tornado could 'come out of nowhere.'
darkeans
Premium Member
join:2004-07-07
Calgary, AB

darkeans to Deschutes

Premium Member

to Deschutes
Deschutes;
quote:

No back-peddling here, darkeans. You specifically said:

Carrie, pls allow me to back peedle.!

I suppose they have the ocassional snowflake in Los Angeles or Miami. That doesn't mean snow is a natural phenomen there.

Tornadoes are not normal for eastern Canada as compared to other parts of the world. If given the choice between posting a negative or positive slant on a story, the media always opts for the worst case scenario. Bad news sells more newspapers.!

Which heading would sell more newspapers.?

"Tornado to hit Toronto".

"Heavy rains and high rain may miss Toronto"

Again this is grand standing by our media.

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1

Premium Member

said by darkeans:

Tornadoes are not normal for eastern Canada as compared to other parts of the world.

Maybe not normal but they do occur, as in the very large tornado that devastated Barrie in 1985. My father believes he drove through Barrie about 4 minutes before it hit.

About 25 years ago one hit just north of our cottage on the French River headed south directly for us across the river. We watched it from our porch as it narrowly missed us to the right. It then ripped the top half of a giant pine tree and threw it onto our kitchen, destroying the roof. The dock, and both boats were ripped from shore.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to darkeans

to darkeans
said by darkeans:
Tornadoes are not normal for eastern Canada as compared to other parts of the world. If given the choice between posting a negative or positive slant on a story, the media always opts for the worst case scenario. Bad news sells more newspapers.!

This is completely, utterly silly and entirely ignorant of the facts.

Southern Ontario is the "Tornado Alley" of Canada. Please read the link I posted above. Tornadoes are completely normal weather phenomenon for Southern Ontario. They are serious business, causing tremendous damage and loss of life.

Now please stop before you say something which will draw even more ridicule from this thread.
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather to Ian1

Premium Member

to Ian1
said by Ian1:
Maybe not normal but they do occur, as in the very large tornado that devastated Barrie in 1985. My father believes he drove through Barrie about 4 minutes before it hit.
My good friend has a cousin who was nearly killed in the Barrie tornado. The funnel came with several hundred feet of his house. Apparently to this day whenever a weather warning is issued he freaks out big time.

Was this the same one that went through Woodstock, Ontario or am I thinking of another episode?

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by mr weather:
My good friend has a cousin who was nearly killed in the Barrie tornado. The funnel came with several hundred feet of his house. Apparently to this day whenever a weather warning is issued he freaks out big time.

Was this the same one that went through Woodstock, Ontario or am I thinking of another episode?
Woodstock was different, but around the same time (mid 80's). I was down there a week after. It was a mess. I was in a tornado in 1969, but since I was only months old I do not remember It was around Ingersoll (next to Woodstock). Tornadoes are so common dad knew just by the clouds there was one coming (so says my mom).

Karebear
Back
Premium Member
join:2001-11-07
Oakville, ON

Karebear to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:
said by darkeans:

This is completely, utterly silly and entirely ignorant of the facts.

Southern Ontario is the "Tornado Alley" of Canada. Please read the link I posted above. Tornadoes are completely normal weather phenomenon for Southern Ontario. They are serious business, causing tremendous damage and loss of life.

Now please stop before you say something which will draw even more ridicule from this thread.

I think Guelph is like the Tornado capital of Canada they get so many... but ignorance is bliss i suppose.

Snickerdo3
Premium Member
join:2001-02-28
Niagara Falls, ON

Snickerdo3

Premium Member

said by Karebear:
I think Guelph is like the Tornado capital of Canada they get so many... but ignorance is bliss i suppose.
Actually, Guelph is a bit too far north. The actual area is a line along the 401 from Chatham-Kent to Woodstock. Regardless, any area south of Algonquin Park is a target for tornados in Canada. Darkens is just being an idiot.
Snickerdo3

Snickerdo3 to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:
Hell, Southern Ontario is part of the USA's Tornado Alley! If you look at a map, you'll see that it ends at Lake Erie. It continues on the other side in Ontario! As I said so many times in this thread, Southern Ontario gets more tornadoes every year then the rest of Canada combined!