Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1 to darkeans

Premium Member

to darkeans

Re: -TORNADO WARNING FOR OTTAWA

said by darkeans:

Tornadoes are not normal for eastern Canada as compared to other parts of the world.

Maybe not normal but they do occur, as in the very large tornado that devastated Barrie in 1985. My father believes he drove through Barrie about 4 minutes before it hit.

About 25 years ago one hit just north of our cottage on the French River headed south directly for us across the river. We watched it from our porch as it narrowly missed us to the right. It then ripped the top half of a giant pine tree and threw it onto our kitchen, destroying the roof. The dock, and both boats were ripped from shore.
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather

Premium Member

said by Ian1:
Maybe not normal but they do occur, as in the very large tornado that devastated Barrie in 1985. My father believes he drove through Barrie about 4 minutes before it hit.
My good friend has a cousin who was nearly killed in the Barrie tornado. The funnel came with several hundred feet of his house. Apparently to this day whenever a weather warning is issued he freaks out big time.

Was this the same one that went through Woodstock, Ontario or am I thinking of another episode?

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by mr weather:
My good friend has a cousin who was nearly killed in the Barrie tornado. The funnel came with several hundred feet of his house. Apparently to this day whenever a weather warning is issued he freaks out big time.

Was this the same one that went through Woodstock, Ontario or am I thinking of another episode?
Woodstock was different, but around the same time (mid 80's). I was down there a week after. It was a mess. I was in a tornado in 1969, but since I was only months old I do not remember It was around Ingersoll (next to Woodstock). Tornadoes are so common dad knew just by the clouds there was one coming (so says my mom).