bfoster2000
Premium Member
join:2003-01-02
Noblesville, IN

bfoster2000 to SoFloVOIP

Premium Member

to SoFloVOIP

Re: Vonage Down?

Down in aera code 708! Two days now. I have another line with aeracode 630 and it works!

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
join:2003-01-26
Westland, MI

usa2k

MVM

said by bfoster2000:
Down in aera code 708! Two days now. I have another line with aeracode 630 and it works!

Is the second line on a separate TA?

bfoster2000
Premium Member
Noblesville, IN

1 recommendation

bfoster2000

Premium Member

Yes. It's on a Cisco. THe problem is on the motorola. Here is some interesting news though. I called Vonage and it appears the my problem (And maybe others) is from a firmware upgrade that I made to my Linksys WRT54G router. I appears that the upgrade affected a proxy or something of that nature so they are upgrading the firmware of the motorola ATA and (Hold On) WOW, my phone just rang for the first time in two days! It was Vonage tech support. All is well again. So if anyone did a upgrade to there firmware on the WRT54G recently and Have a problem with there VOIP You may want to call 1-vonage-help!
Toollio
join:2003-11-17
Brazil/Cda

Toollio

said by bfoster2000:
Here is some interesting news though. I called Vonage and it appears the my problem (And maybe others) is from a firmware upgrade that I made to my Linksys WRT54G router.
Anyone who upgrades to the Linksys 2.4.3 firmware and above (2.4.4 just came out) will need the Vonage Motorola 1.17 firmware or they are unlikely to get a dialtone--just flashing lights--on the Vonage box. This has been discussed a few times in various threads, if you're interested in more details. I went through this process myself a couple of weeks ago. Works just fine after the Motorola upgrade.

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
join:2003-01-26
Westland, MI

usa2k to bfoster2000

MVM

to bfoster2000
said by bfoster2000:
Yes. It's on a Cisco. THe problem is on the motorola. ... All is well again. So if anyone did a upgrade to there firmware on the WRT54G recently and Have a problem with there VOIP You may want to call 1-vonage-help!

Great! Mine is a Cisco so that why all this line not working stuff seemed strange to me.

Glad you're back!

NY Tel
Premium Member
join:2004-04-09
Smithtown, NY

NY Tel to Doubledee32

Premium Member

to Doubledee32
said by Doubledee32:
A handful of AT&T's CallVantage Net phone subscribers are among those affected. "We are seeing, sporadically, some instances of blocking by some cable company networks," AT&T spokesman Gary Morgenstern said.-According to the article Callvantage will have a patch to fix those small handful of customers affected. Seems its related to Cable companies of which mine(roadrunner) isn't affected-Like I said before-Glad I switched to Callvantage!

Me too!

bfoster2000
Premium Member
Noblesville, IN

bfoster2000 to usa2k

Premium Member

to usa2k
Thanks usa2k. Glad to be back too. Hope this info helps others that may have the same problem.
Nobbie16
join:2000-09-28
Jersey City, NJ

Nobbie16 to SoFloVOIP

to SoFloVOIP

Vonage - Spinning towards ground, FAST

Down in area code 646 using Comcast in NJ
It is ridiculous now. Website is down and can't login to turn off call forwarding. This seems to be an almost everyday problem. One of the nice features which had me get the service TWO years ago was the convenience of call forwarding. Now I get home and my calls are ringing somewhere else with no option to do anything about it. Not even tech support can change it because they are locked out too. That is what I was told when I called. This has been going on long before the big outages last week. I am fed up!!!

The only thing that has me now is the virtual numbers. Packet8 was supposed to have them soon...I will check them out tonight to see if that is available. Vonage, you're hanging by a thread with me now. One more problem and you're gone!!!

LBDSL
Lightning Bolt
join:2002-01-07
Auburn Hills, MI

LBDSL

OK, This has to be a routing issue with some ISP's. I personally have not been effected by any of the recent issues.

Can some of the people who can't access the web site or have a dial tone, post some trace routes?
Nobbie16
join:2000-09-28
Jersey City, NJ

Nobbie16

Destination host 216.115.24.192 unavailable for secure.vonage.com Reply from 64.200.60.246: Destination host unavailable. Unable to resolve with Comcast DNS servers but resolves with AT&T DNS (4.2.2.2) but can't find server
Kiwi88
Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Bryant, AR

2 edits

Kiwi88 to SoFloVOIP

Premium Member

to SoFloVOIP

Not down, but the quality dropped off a whole lot; barely able to use the service right now...Down to around 1 hour a month, that works....

You would think, perhaps they would email their customers if they had a problem, you think? No, just wait for the 1 million calls they will get and their customers switch to another service...

Customer support, maybe they plan on moving that to India as well....

Something is messed up and if they want to stay in business (jobs) they better get it straight.

BTW -They were *Warned* about ActiveX, their site depends on a critical flaw.....

Cheers
BizFinancing
Premium Member
join:2003-01-10
Port Orchard, WA

BizFinancing to SoFloVOIP

Premium Member

to SoFloVOIP
Don't blame all of the problems on Vonage as many of the issues can be caused by your ISP's (e.g. Comcast etc.) network as well.

I had some quality issues that were resolved when I was able to change broadband providers recently.

Since then the quality of my service has improved dramatically.

Wall9
Tell Me, Did You See It Too?
Premium Member
join:2002-06-25
Dupo, IL

2 edits

Wall9 to SoFloVOIP

Premium Member

to SoFloVOIP
Good grief. You know, if you're unhappy with the service, then go. Despite the ignorant statements, Vonage isn't going anywhere; they'll survive without you.

I'd hope that the ones saying that they're going elsewhere today won't embarrass themselves in the future and be here shouting their area code when they have an interruption to their service, for whatever reason.

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

1 edit

RR Conductor

Premium Member

Let's just say if they were a "real" phone company, they would have either been run out of business after all these outages, and/or investigated by the FCC, these VOIP companies need to be regulated, and until they are, these outages and the blame game will continue.

--

»www.johnkerry.com
»205.245.189.161:1100/ ,Live,24Hr cam of 100+ trains a day action on the BNSF RR&Amtrak Mendota subdiv&Galesburg RR Museum ops in Galesburg,IL
See the BOOMING railroads of today,and tommorrow- »www.gorail.org/

HardwareGeek
join:2003-11-15
Brooklyn, NY

HardwareGeek

oh man I agree and I am a vonage user. Regulation will improve the service and who cares about the lil tax we might have to pay. If your so strapped for cash get on dial up and use a regular phone service.
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina to RR Conductor

to RR Conductor
Yeah -- regulate the hell out of VOIP. That will fix them! All we need is another technocrat deciding what's best to do with someone else's money.

They don't need regulation. The only thing the FCC needs to do is define a few terms to ensure that consumers have common ground on which to compare the competition. If that means defining VOIP as a "best effort" voice communication service vs. defining it as a "phone" service, then that's what needs to be done.

We're all saving money because VOIP is cheap. I certainly get angry when Vonage doesn't work but if it's really bad for you, try a different VOIP provider or, as in Simpson's episode 13 from season 6, go through the supplicant entrance and grovel for your old job, er, um, I mean your POTS line.

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

RR Conductor

Premium Member

"All we need is another technocrat deciding what's best to do with someone else's money."

What do you think Vonage is doing with your money, asking you first how to spend it? Who do they answer to? No one, they have no accountability, and can do whatever the heck they please.

Tzale
Proud Libertarian Conservative
Premium Member
join:2004-01-06
NYC Metro

Tzale to SoFloVOIP

Premium Member

to SoFloVOIP
My POTS line has never went down in over a decade. It always amazes me when I hear VOIP-lovers saying that it's so great. I just laugh at them, because I know POTS is REGULATED is a CENTURY OLD so it's TIME TESTED and it's BACKED UP by Batteries, Generators, etc. VOIP = No backup, not regulated, not time tested and if your ISP goes down, YOUR SCREWED. With POTS, if the line goes down the telco fixes it. VOIP depends on your ISP and the VOIP company..... I'll take POTS any day over VOIP. Even though I LOVE new technology, I can't stand having service knocked out every couple days, then not be able to reach the web site to get support. Not to mention, if you DO have an emergency you won't be able to get help. Sure, it's unlikely you'll need to call an emergency center but IF it does happen, and your VOIP doesn't work you can DIE..... You won't have the chance to switch to POTS at that point....

-Tzale

potsvsvoip
@comcast.net

potsvsvoip

Anon

The parent is such an obvious troll. But I'm bored.

So you never had an outage with POTS in 10 years? I've experienced a few and so have a few others I've known. Wires crossed, degraded quality, radio reception (yes, the radio reception came from the phone line, not a faulty phone), and swapped numbers. You're lucky that you've never had to go through several reps just to get them to acknowledge the problem either. The problems you describe also happen to POTS.

Consider yourself fortunate.

Wall9
Tell Me, Did You See It Too?
Premium Member
join:2002-06-25
Dupo, IL

Wall9

Premium Member

If I'm a troll you're a coward. ..unregistered..they don't even deserve a reply..

montee4
Premium Member
join:2004-02-15
Chicago, IL

1 recommendation

montee4 to Nobbie16

Premium Member

to Nobbie16

Re: Vonage - Spinning towards ground, FAST

Vonage Terms of Service....
1.10 Service Distinctions
You acknowledge and understand that the Service is not a telephone service. Important distinctions (some, but not necessarily all, of which are described in this Agreement) exist between telephone service and the enhanced Service offering provided by Vonage.

2.3.4 Other Service Outages
You acknowledge and understand that if there is a service outage for ANY reason, such outage will prevent ALL Service, including 911 dialing. Such outages may occur for a variety of reasons, including, but not limited to those reasons described elsewhere in this Agreement.
If you agreed to this, then I don't see what the problem is. Most of us are willing to deal with these issues to save some money, if you are not, then go back to your old POTS line. They will survive with out you.

Placeman
Throw Me A Bone
join:2001-12-04
Fenton, MO

1 edit

Placeman to RR Conductor

to RR Conductor

said by RR Conductor:
What do you think Vonage is doing with your money, asking you first how to spend it? Who do they answer to? No one, they have no accountability, and can do whatever the heck they please.

Quite frankly, I don't care what they are doing with their money. Vonage is the number one VoIP provider for a reason. They took a lot of risks being the first big player in this market and as such will endure many growing pains. I think many lose sight of the fact that this technology is still in its infancy. I agree with montee4 See Profile in the fact that we all agreed to the terms of the service before setting up our accounts. We, too, knew of the risks, but took these risks in order to save money and to get in on the cusp of this exciting new technology.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926 to SoFloVOIP

to SoFloVOIP
This is the service you people get when you dump your REAL phone companies and settle for a cheaper inferior service to save a few bucks a month.. or MAYBE, like a couple relatives of mine, ya just think its COOL. LOL In a couple years, Vonage will be forgotten. Simply because the big name cable companies and even the local telephone companies are now offering voIP. Vonage just played their role to be the first to offer voIP.. Now the big boys will take over, and perfect the service.

In my opinion , Vonage has no business offering this service anyway. How is it fair that they can offer a service over a network of wires they dont even maintain ?? If youre gonna go with voIP, at LEAST go with the cable companies. Thats just fair to them.

OR.. you can just dump voIP altogether, and go back to your local phone company so they can afford role out FTTP faster to my neighborhood ! haha

jaa
Premium Member
join:2000-06-13

jaa to SoFloVOIP

Premium Member

to SoFloVOIP
I went with Vonage because they offer the best value. They also offer LNP (which worked without a hitch) that others do not.

Vonage has set the bar high both in price and features. Too bad the "big name" cable and phone companies don't know how to compete - if they did they could eat Vonage's lunch.
cmarquette
join:2003-01-07
Tulsa, OK

cmarquette

It's always nice to see how everyone is quick to throw out that this isn't a POTS line, or that "you agreed to their terms of service", blah, blah, blah.

The fact of the matter is, this is at least 4 outages for my business in the last 2 weeks. We're a hosting company, so I can guarantee it was not anything on our end. Blaming the linksys upgrade or blaming your ISP is a cop out.

Bottom line: Vonage needs to stop being reactive and start being proactive. Get more lines, hire more help, fix the firmware, but do it before they have these outages.

scaredpoet
join:2001-03-26
Monmouth Junction, NJ

scaredpoet to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

In my opinion , Vonage has no business offering this service anyway.
How is it fair that they can offer a service over a network of wires they dont even maintain ??
Well, let's see. Dialup services like netzero, AOL, earthlink, peoplepc online and the like offer service, and they don't maintain the POTS network that the data end sup going through. DSlreports offers premium services, and it doesn't maintain your broadband connection. Yet you're not complaining there. Why is okay for these services to run, but it's not fair that Vonage does the same?
quote:

If youre gonna go with voIP, at LEAST go with the cable companies. Thats just fair to them.
Business isn't fair. If it was, the Bell system would still be a monopoly. After all, they built the network, so it's only "fair" that they keep gouging customers through inflated prices and stunt development, right? Who knows, had that not happened, the cable companies you say we should go through wouldn't even be able to make money of VoIP, and we might not even have competition in broadband... if broadband even existed by now. Remember how paranoid AT&T used to be about how much "damage" people would do to their precious network if you so much as put a piece of tape on your phone?

If you're happy with your broadband connection, you can thank the "unfairness" of business for that. However, if you honestly beleive in what you say, then you really shouldn't be using broadband.
quote:

OR.. you can just dump voIP altogether, and go back to your local phone company so they can afford role out FTTP faster to my neighborhood ! haha

No thanks. A troll with a high speed netconnection is a dangerous thing.
MotoVT
Vonage User Since Jan 2004
join:2002-12-03
Butler, PA

MotoVT to SoFloVOIP

to SoFloVOIP
So what should Vonage do? Invest billions in acquiring their own network? If so, say goodbye to affordable phone service. Its like blaming Ford when my Excursion can't roll down I-75 because the highway is under construction. As far as not being fair with Vonage offering this service, then your local Cable company should not be offering programming on HBO since they don't own HBO

Thanks to Montee for posting the TOS. A lot of confusion can be avoid be simply praticing reading comprehension. Last time I checked public schools still taught this......or do they?
grimzly
Premium Member
join:2004-06-15
Durham, NC

grimzly to ITALIAN926

Premium Member

to ITALIAN926
It's more than a few bucks a month saved and hardly inferior.

Keep telling yourself that you're doing a good deed by allowing local telephone companies overcharge for all of the services that VOIP provide for a much lower price.

My favorite thing about the local phone co is the great $4/month optional charge they get people to pay for in-home wiring maintenance. With VOIP, I can have a 2nd phone number in an area code 2000+ miles away for $5/month.

eperos
Premium Member
join:2004-05-02
Brooklyn, NY

eperos to montee4

Premium Member

to montee4

Re: Vonage - Spinning towards ground, FAST

If it looks like a phone, feels like a phone, smells like one too, what is it? a bird? lol I think it is voice service but they are saying that to avoid taxation. Which is a good thing.
arzkkr
join:2004-08-13
Austin, TX

arzkkr

Are you saying Vonage is gay? lol jk