Premium Member
join:2001-11-19
Canada Eh?

FishPants to kasper5014

Premium Member

to kasper5014

Re: Cisco Router and Switch?

said by kasper5014:
I would like to become more familiar with cisco's equipment and interface. I want to purchase either new or preferably used cisco router. I want something I could use for my home on my current DSL line, as well as be able to use for LAN party's with WAN access, as well as a switch that could support 48 users at a LAN EVENT. Im not too familiar with cisco products, and i hoped this would be a good place to get started.

I've been hosting small lans with ~15 users with my Netgear FVS328 router and FS526T 24-port Smart Switch with 2 Gigabit Ports up till now.

Do you have a fair bit of cash kicking around? You can always hit fleabay; but I don't trust much that comes off there. You may be better off using a cisco IOS simulator so you can configure a router etc in a "lab" environment without buying the equipment.
kasper5014
join:2004-07-05
Kent, OH

kasper5014

well i dont want to spend a lot. Looking at the cisco 831 broadband ethernet router.
aryoba
MVM
join:2002-08-22

aryoba

MVM

831 is a good one

Cisco 831 router is a good choice. You can just check out ebay for a cheap one. If you plan to have technical support directly from Cisco (the Smartnet contract), then you should buy new factory sealed one.
kasper5014
Kent, OH

kasper5014

great...

looking around and i can pick up a 831 from z-buy.com for about 400.00.
aryoba
MVM

aryoba

MVM

Get Smartnet contract as well

Don't forget to also purchase Smartnet contract. Once you have it, you will never forget how much your life depends on it ...
kasper5014
Kent, OH

kasper5014

How much does the smartnet contract cost???

Do i purchase that with the router or after the fact?
aryoba
MVM

aryoba

MVM

Get them in a bundle

Smartnet contract price highly depends on the feature. Check out the z-buy.com for more info. You might want to call the z-buy.com cust. srv. to help you choose the proper Smartnet contract.

You should buy the contract together with the router. This way you don't have to wait till disaster comes to buy the contract ...

»www.z-buy.com/searchitem ··· smartnet
kasper5014
Kent, OH

kasper5014

granted that the bandwidth is available, would the 831 be able to support 40 some users wan traffic?
aryoba
MVM

aryoba

MVM

How's your WAN traffic characteristics?

It all depends on your WAN traffic characteristics. Are those users only browsing and downloading? Are they also uploading alot?

Anyway by seeing your condition, the 831 should be more than enough for you.