spc
Search similar:

uniqs
freewilly6
join:2002-02-17
Pikeville, NC

freewilly6

Networking with 8 Port switch

I have set up a network in my villa and I am having a bit of a problem. My connection is as follows. I have two PC connected to the switch via Cat 5 cable, also on the switch I have a DSL modem plugged in. Furthermore I have a wireless AP plugged into the switch. All works great until I have both PC plugged into the switch. when I do this my network seems to crash. (I am unable to surf from any computer or even ping the ISP, it give me time out errors.) I am running XP pro on everything, and am at a loss.
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon

Premium Member

Who is your ISP?

Is the DSL modem acting as a bridge or as a router? Are you using static IP, PPPoE or DHCP?

Most likely, your ISP only allows one connection to the internet at a time, and when you have both PCs connected at the same time, you get all sorts of problems. If you put a router between the DSL modem and the switch, you shouldn't have any problems.
freewilly6
Pikeville, NC

freewilly6

Well I also have 2 laptops connected via wireless connection with no problem. It is just when i plug in the second PC via cat 5 to the switch it all quits. My setup is like this; phone line to DSL modem, modem to Switch via Cat 5 cable. Wireless AP is also Cat 5 connected to switch. Finally one pc is connected via cat 5 cable. This configuration works like a champ, PC, both lap tops surfing like mad, but when i add that second PC (via cat 5 cable) to the switch the whole system seems to crash.

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX

rolande

MVM,

Can you still ping between local machines on your network when you plug the second PC in? Is it just your Internet access that hangs when you do this? What do you mean by "the whole system seems to crash"?
holmantp
join:2003-12-20
Rosamond, CA

holmantp to Daemon

to Daemon
said by Daemon:
Who is your ISP?

Is the DSL modem acting as a bridge or as a router? Are you using static IP, PPPoE or DHCP?

Most likely, your ISP only allows one connection to the internet at a time, and when you have both PCs connected at the same time, you get all sorts of problems. If you put a router between the DSL modem and the switch, you shouldn't have any problems.

Please provide the answers to the questions above.

From what you said so far, it sounds like the Wireless AP device is acting as a router.

Do your wireless laptops have public IP addresses, or are they assigned by the AP device.

For your wired computers, are they using the same IP address? Are they using public IP addresses?

Seems to be a IP address conflict. Either both are using the same address, or your provider only allows one IP address connection at a time, therefore you will need a router between the DSL Modem and your switch.

Does your AP device have wired connections? If so, what happens when you connect the wired computers to it?

This is how you describe your current setup.

DSL MODEM
|
SWITCH
|||-------Wired Computer #1
||--------Wired Computer #2
|---------Wireless AP device
____________|
||---Wireless Laptop #1
|----Wireless Laptop #2

Spinnaker
Ok, But What Is The Speed Of Dark?
MVM
join:2002-12-08
Holden, ME

Spinnaker

MVM

said by holmantp:
...Seems to be a IP address conflict...
Answer holmantp's questions...

Definitely sounds like an IP address conflict with that second wired PC.

Spinnaker
freewilly6
Pikeville, NC

freewilly6

I am USAF currently in Saudi Arabia. ISP is local, not sure if WAP is acting as a bridge or router because i am not very educated on this. All puters are DHCP enabled, all have different IP addr.. When the second PC is plugged in I can ping back and forth all other computers. The only thing I can't do is ping the problem computer, just times out. Also when it is plugged in I can't surf from any computer, or bring up Network places from any computer. Finally i tried unplugging the other hardwired puter and still cant ping the problem computer, but I can bring up network neighborhood, and surf the net.
holmantp
Rosamond, CA

holmantp

OK, almost enough info to start. It still sounds like a IP conflict.
When is the DHCP provided from? Your ISP?
If you don't have a DHCP server, your two wired computer might be using the same IP address. When the computer last were connected to a DHCP server, it might have been set to allow use of the assigned IP address for a very long time or indef.
So it is possible for both to have been assigned the same address.
Then once the DHCP server was no longer reachable, both computers would cont. to use the same address.

Please answer the questions others and myself wrote above.
If you don't have the answer, then please say so.

If your ISP provides the DHCP, you maybe limited to two addresses.

Let's check and see if the two PCs are using the same IP address. Go to Start, then Run , type in cmd then click on OK. That will bring up a command bow(DOS box).
Then type ipconfig and press enter.
Write down the info provided.

Then do the same on the other computer.

Do they have the same IP Address?

The Subnet Mask and Default Gateway should be the same.

Let's see what you find. If you provide numbers here, don't give out all 4 sets of numbers. Such as if it's 1.2.3.4 and 1.2.3.5 then show us z.y.3.4 and x.y.3.5

If your Subnet mask is something other then 255.255.255.0, please tell us what it is. This will help in determining how many addresses you are allowed to use at the same time.

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande to freewilly6

MVM,

to freewilly6
First of all, you deserve our gratitude for serving over there with all of our other armed forces. It is much appreciated, even though many of us, who are not close to someone serving, tend to go about our daily lives and not think about it. You definitely are remembered.

Now for your problem. It sounds like a combo Layer 2/3 issue if what you say about the IP addressing is correct. Let's detail out the scenario so we are all clear as to what is occuring and when...

When you plug in the second wired computer to the switch, that computer can not access anything, correct? But, the other computers, wireless and wired can still reach each other locally. However, they cease being able to access the Internet? Does the second wired computer obtain a unique IP address from DHCP on the same subnet? Use 'ipconfig' to view the leased IP address. Is the DSL modem/router acting as the DHCP server? Are you assigning private IP's to your workstations? Are you using PPPoE to login to the ISP? IS the modem configured to do this?

When you unplug the first wired computer from the switch which was working, the other computers (wireless) can surf the Internet and ping each other but they still can not ping the second wired computer and that computer can still not access anything local or on the Internet? While the first computer is disconnected, try doing 'ipconfig/release' 'ipconfig/renew' on the second wired workstation to refresh its DHCP lease and see if it starts working.

Beyond that, you'll need to start looking at the way the DSL modem is configured and what it can support as far as routing and/or NAT translation is concerned. There may be some hardware limitation that is causing you problems.
freewilly6
Pikeville, NC

freewilly6

You guys are awesome. Okay let me answer some of these very appreciated quick responses. I'll start right above and work my way up. PEBKAC, first 3 question correct, on the second wired computer when i plug her in, and run ipconfig /release, then renew, i get a unique IP addr. under the same subnet mask which is 255.255.255.0, the only thing she will do is ping the other computers locally, but I can't ping it from any of the other computers. I have noticed on all these machines when i release (all zero'd out) and renew the old ip addr returns(is that normal). I don't know if the modem is acting as a DHCP server or not. Finally I am not assigning ip to any of the puters, just letting it happen automatically thru the tcp/ip properties. Don't know about PPPoE, what i do is just have a proxy addr and port typed in the internet lan options. When the good wired computer is unplugged I can then surf the net from the second wired computer and all wireless computers but I still can't ping her. Last weird thing that might help. I took one of my laptops and plugged her into the switch instead of the second PC and everything worked normal completely normal.

Holmantp, I don't know when or from where my DHCP is provided. Is there a way to determine that, also i looked at all the ip addr. and all are different. Funny thing is the Subnet Mask and Default Gateway are very different,
Once again thanks for all the help. And Thanks for the kind words.

Freewilly
holmantp
Rosamond, CA

holmantp

said by freewilly6:
at all the ip addr. and all are different. Funny thing is the Subnet Mask and Default Gateway are very different
Can you say BINGO. I think you found the problem. Please list the Subnet Masks you are getting.
Such as:
PC1=255.255.255.248
PC2=255.255.255.255
LT1=255.255.255.248
LT2=255.255.255.0

If the first 2 groups of number are the same for the IP addresses, please post the Gateway address like this:
PC1=x.y.234.78
PC2=x.y.237.43
LT1=x.y.234.79
LT2=x/y.234.126

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande to freewilly6

MVM,

to freewilly6
Are the IP addresses being assigned to your workstations in the 10.x.x.x, 172.16-31.x.x or 192.168.x.x range? If so then these are private addresses coming from an internal DHCP server somewhere on your local network (usually your router or modem) If you see an address in the range 169.254.x.x then you have a DHCP problem on that computer.

Can you post the addresses being assigned to your workstations along with their subnet masks and their default gateway? If they are public IP's you can disguise the first 2 numbers of the IP separated by dots. i.e. x.x.#.#

When you release and renew a DHCP address you usually will get the same IP address back again, unless the server is very busy and hands out the address to another client before you get a chance to execute the renew command.

As far as determining your DHCP server see below... The IP address of the DHCP server is listed when you do 'ipconfig/all'

C:\>ipconfig/all

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : yourcomputername
Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . : yourdomain.com
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : yourdomain.com

Ethernet adapter Private Network:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : yourdomain.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 CardBus II
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-A0-C9-AA-BB-CC
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.10
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.5
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, August 13, 2004 2:58:19 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, January 18, 2038 9:14:07 PM
freewilly6
Pikeville, NC

freewilly6

Oops I am afraid my bad grammar may have led you fellows astray about the Subnet Mask and Default Gateway. All the computers have the same Subnet Mask numbers, and the Default Gateway numbers all match also. What i was trying to say was the set of Subnet Mask numbers don't match the Gateway numbers, this may be normal. Sorry HOLMANTP

PEBKAC my numbers look like this
PC1 SM# 255.255.255.0
DG# 192.168.26.254
IP 192.168.26.19
DHCP 192.168.26.254

PC2 SM# 255.255.255.0
DG# 192.168.26.254
IP 192.168.26.2
DHCP 192.168.26.254

LT1 SM# 255.255.255.0
DG# 192.168.26.254
IP 192.168.26.7

LT2 SM# 255.255.255.0
DG# 192.168.26.254
IP 192.168.26.8
DHCP 192.168.26.254
DHCP 192.168.26.254
freewilly6

freewilly6

Guys also I just noticed my leases expire every 24 hours
holmantp
Rosamond, CA

holmantp

Hi, the settings look fine.
I am wondering, when the problem PC is connected, are you getting flashing red on the switch?

As for not being able to ping the problem computer, it could be a firewall setting on that computer.

At this point I'll have to pass on any more suggestions. I don't have any.

Hope some others can be more helpful.
MoparHemi
join:2002-03-14
Yorba Linda, CA

MoparHemi to freewilly6

to freewilly6
freewilly,
Try disabling computer browser in the services under administrative tools on the problem pc.

Ed
freewilly6
Pikeville, NC

freewilly6

Hmm that did do it. I am at a loss, I can have as many wireless systems connected to my network as I want. Also I am able to connect a laptop via cat 5 cable and it works fine with the pc also on the switch. Go figure
holmantp
Rosamond, CA

holmantp

Glad to see you were able to find a fix.
MoparHemi
join:2002-03-14
Yorba Linda, CA

MoparHemi to freewilly6

to freewilly6
Hmm that did do it. I am at a loss

What did it?

Ed
freewilly6
Pikeville, NC

freewilly6

Opps I meant to say that didn't do it either. I have since disconnected my good PC and am running only the problem PC wired to the switch. surfing fine but i am unable to bring that pc up on the newwork places. pings okay back and forth though.