Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL
kudos:1
reply to Netbars

Re: Dell Inspiron 8100 Laptop LCD problem

said by Netbars:

Me: So you don't sell the inverter board separately.
Dell SP: Not a chance.
Me: So if the LCD is fine, I couldn't buy the inverter board itself.
Dell SP: That is correct.
Me: That sucks.
Dell SP: Yeah I guess..

Jeez great cust service, love the responses looked like you were talking to some AOL kid. They could have responded " Sorry we don't" " Unfortunately that is how it is sold".

luke223

@comcast.net
reply to freakout9903

randomly my screen flickers, it comes with purple squares and sometimes the screen is unreadable. any solutions?

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

3 edits

look at this before it ends

"LCD Inverter " just what u need
»search-desc.ebay.com/dell-invert···pfidZ181 1QQreqtypeZ1QQalistZa14Q2Ca26444Q2Ca12Q2Ca3801Q2Ca25710QQpf_queryZdellQ20inverterQ20boardQ20 8100QQsotrZ2QQcoactionZcompareQQcopagenumZ1QQcoentrypageZsearch

Tursiops_G
Technoid
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-06
Norwalk, CT
reply to luke223

said by luke223:
randomly my screen flickers, it comes with purple squares and sometimes the screen is unreadable. any solutions?
Screen corruption like that could be caused by a failing Video card/chipset, buggy or corrupt Video Drivers, Corrupt Direct-X or OS system files, Overheating CPU, Bad RAM, etc...

To eliminate the RAM, give memtest86+ a try... »www.memtest.org

If the RAM checks out OK, then try re-installing/upgrading (or even DOWNgrading) your Video drivers, re-install Direct-X, etc...

Use a Motherboard Status Monitor utility to check that your CPU isn't overheating (bad/dirty fan, etc.)

Reinstalling your OS should be considered as a "last Resort", if all other methods fail...

-Tursiops_G.
--
If You're Unsure, "RTFM"... If You're SURE, "RTFM" Anyway.

freakout9903
Premium
join:2001-04-19
Gastonia, NC
Reviews:
·NetTalk

1 edit
reply to freakout9903

Well I got lucky, and just picked up an inverter for $35. I'll let you guys know if this solves my porblem. Thanks for everything so far.

»cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi···163&rd=1

--
Join Team Discovery In The Fight Against Cancer

DC Broadband
Stercus Tauri
Premium
join:2003-04-17
Stone Ridge, NY
reply to freakout9903

In case anybody doesn't want to, or doesn't have the knowledge to do their own repairs, Portable Computer will fix LCD problems for a flat fee of $195 (provided your video card is working). I've personally never used them but it's a heck of a lot cheaper than sending the unit to Dell for an out of warranty repair!!

»www.portablecomputer.com/repair/···pair.asp
--
Bush/Cheney '04
Raven's Realm

landry98

join:2001-08-31
Red Stick
reply to freakout9903

If your considering portablecomputer.com, might want to look at this Better Business Bureau link before sending mailing them any hardware and/or credit card/payment information.

»www.sacramento.bbb.org/commonrep···47000139

darkrayUD

join:2004-09-06
Dayton, OH
reply to freakout9903

Yea, I own an 8100 as well, and i've been having some crazy LCD / Motherboard issue as well with it. The strange thing is that i can usually get it to go away when I pick it up by the bottom, and give it a little twist. I fear that one day i'm not going to get this to work, and then i'll be pretty pissed off. And from the sounds of it, it's pretty much not cost effective to get it fixed. Any advice out there how to get this fixed ? ... I'm pretty attached to this laptop

Tursiops_G
Technoid
Premium,MVM
Norwalk, CT

If you can temporarily correct the problem by giving the laptop "a little twist", then I think that you either have a loose connection or a bad Solder joint somewhere...

What I would do first, is to try removing and reseating your RAM modules... If that doesn't work, then I'm afraid that your laptop will have to be opened up for further troubleshooting (it could be something as simple as a loose internal connector, or as bad as a cracked ribbon cable, circuit trace, or solder connection)... In that case, I'd leave it up to a Professional, as opening up a laptop without damaging the case can be very tricky... (There usually are several hidden plastic catches that have to be pried open in a specific way to avoid breaking them.)

-Tursiops_G.
--

darkrayUD

join:2004-09-06
Dayton, OH

That's kinda what i figured. I was looking more online for this problem tonight, and i found several posts on the dell website about problems with the video display looking like an out of tune TV ... which is what mine has been doing.

I had most of it apart at one time looking for the problem, but i couldn't see anything that I should have "messed with"

Apparantly though there is a conneciton somewhere above the keyboard's Function Keys, under the plastic cover.

It's hasn't been a huge problem, but before I found that twisting the base slighly fixed the problem, I used to pick it up slighly, and let it fall onto the desk, giving it a slight jolt. Not such a good solution, as well as making me look a little funny to my coworkers in the morning.

Maybe I'll open it up again and give it another look. Otherwise it's back to the twisting!

Tursiops_G
Technoid
Premium,MVM
Norwalk, CT

If I were you, I'd reconsider giving it the "Drop Test"...
There's a fair chance that dropping it may eventually crash your HD...

Stick with the "Little Twist" method, until you can get it properly serviced.

-Tursiops_G.
--

freakout9903
Premium
Gastonia, NC
Reviews:
·NetTalk
reply to freakout9903

UPDATE: I have now replaced the video card, AND the inverter and the picture still remains dim. Any idea's on to what else it could be?
--

Tursiops_G
Technoid
Premium,MVM
Norwalk, CT

1 edit

If replacing the Inverter (and Video module? - I didn't know that the Video card was a FRU)... didn't help, then the only other thing that I can think of, is that the CCF (Cold-Cathode Fluorescent) lights have failed, or you got a Defective replacement Inverter...

-Tursiops_G.
--

BA
Premium,MVM
join:2001-05-24
Vancouver, BC
reply to freakout9903

said by BA:
It sounds like the CCFL is gone. You can definitely replace it - check under the copper colored film. Often, you'll need to unsolder to get it out.

Contact »www.jkllamps.com/ and they should be able to find you a replacement.

If it's dim, it's almost certain it's the CCFL. You'll sometimes get flickering, change in color hues, and longer warm up (to full brightness) times.

freakout9903
Premium
Gastonia, NC
reply to freakout9903

How much would those run, and unsoldering, sounds liek aot of work....maybe it's jsut better off a find a whole lcd?
--

BA
Premium,MVM
join:2001-05-24
Vancouver, BC

Not much, $10-20.

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Netbars

said by Netbars:
Oh yeah; the number for Dell Spare Parts is a bitch to find. Here it is for those who need it:

1-800-624-9896

dial #1 I think for the extension option
the extension number is 69937.

Thanks for that.

I added it to the Notebook faq, with a link to this thread.

Let me or BAyoung know if any clarifications are necessary.
--
The preceeding post may contain dry humor. Read and respond at own risk.

jasonl417

join:2004-10-06
Mobile, AL

I wonder could someone please help me.

I have a notebook from Powernotebooks.com. It is the same as the Dell 5000. It is about 4 yrs old.

It has been a great laptop!!!

But I would say in the last 6 months the monitor began to just go garbly for a few seconds. It would go away and it was fine. Then like about a week ago (after I left the machine on all night to defragment) woke up and began to use my laptop. When I adjusted the screen ( as far as more open or more shut) for viewing, it began to actually turn on and off (the screen). Then even as I moved the screen it would not come back on.

I continuued to adjust, twist, open and close slightly, and even bump slightly. This didn't work. As I was opening and closing the lid slightly, I noticed I could see the icons on the desktop ( it was very dim). But then as I was fiddling with the lid, I could see the dimmed out desktop then begin to garble. Kind of like a fuzzy tv picture.

I then plugged it into an old external monitor that I had. The laptop works beautifully, just not the lcd.

After much surfing the net, I found jklamps.com and there distributor digikey. I found out what kind of bulb($12.00) the inspiron 5000 takes in the Hitachi LCD. I ordered it. I also found the inverter for the Dell Inspiron 5000 on ebay ($15.00).

Got them both in, and nothing??????????

How should I troublshoot this?????

I guess I need to find some way to test the inverter and the bulb???????] Any ideas??

Then what else could it be?????? (since it does put a great pic on an external monitor, does that eliminate the video card as a possible problem? )

The connections? Could that be a problem??

I deeply appreciate any comment to my situation.

Jason

Tursiops_G
Technoid
Premium,MVM
Norwalk, CT

3 edits

That sounds like either the LCD Display's interconnect cable wiring is broken, or the cable's connector has come loose from it's socket on the Motherboard...

The only way to be sure, is to open up the Laptop's case itself... But unless you know EXACTLY HOW to do it, you may break off one or more of the case's internal plastic tabs that secure the case halves together...

I'd suggest finding a Repair Shop that can service your Laptop, and taking it there for a Repair Estimate...

If that is not an option, then you're pretty much on your own...

If you DO decide to open it up yourself, Be EXTREMELY careful... Laptops can be a real BEAR to open... Don't just force the case halves open, and be sure to look for any Hidden screws (Underneath the bottom feet, in the Battery compartment, under any other removable covers on the bottom, under the Labels, etc.)... Also look to see if the Keyboard has Locking tabs near the bottom that will allow you to lift up the Keyboard to access any screws underneath. There usually are also places on the sides of the laptop where you will have to Push the plastic frame inward, in order to disengage any hidden Locking Tabs.

Either that, or just use an External Monitor from now on.

Good Luck,

-Tursiops_G.
--

Jan Janowski
Premium
join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to freakout9903

If you can do so, see if there is approximately 100V DC on the two wires going to the backlight...

If there is, it's the backlight...
If there isn't, or is low, measure again with backlight disconnected... If higher than 100V DC it is probably the backlight loading down the power supply for backlight...
--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle

Tursiops_G
Technoid
Premium,MVM
Norwalk, CT

4 edits

Oops... Removed this posting in regards to Jan's last post above... I misread WHO Jan was replying to, and I started to give the wrong info... Jan is correct. My bad.

-Tursiops_G.
--

Drossvirex

join:2004-10-14
Great Falls, MT
reply to freakout9903

Re: Dell Inspiron 3700 Laptop LCD problem

I have a Dell Inspirion 3700 for a customer. It seems while I was replacing the fan that sends air out I may have damaged the screen. I was very gentle with the parts though! Now the screen is all dim and I suppose it's the CCFL. The CRT connection works. This laptop is pretty old so I don't know if I can even find the correct parts for the LCD. I haven't had much luck yet.

Drossvirex

Great Falls, MT
reply to freakout9903

Ok, if you read the post above you know my situation.

I got another laptop of the same kind. My partner happened to have one that was fried. Well I took the screen from that one and swapped and it was the same. So it's not a bad screen. I don't understand what else it could be? The laptop works in VGA output. It has to be something on the mainboard.

The second laptop that was fried, I found the peice that was bad. I don't know what it is... I think it's the Powerboard from what I've googled. Is this the Inverter? Or is the Inverter inside the LCD. If it is, it cannot be the Inverter.

Where is the video card? I'm not a huge laptop junkie, but if I replace the power board from the Dim LCD laptop into the fried one, the fried one works. So that eliminates this part from being bad.

What else can it be? It cannot be the screen, the powerboard or the video card. Or can it still be the video card even though it works in VGA mode? Can it be the motherboard itself?

Drossvirex

Great Falls, MT
reply to freakout9903

UPDATE

Well I switched what I assume to be the CPU (videocard?) and it still did the same thing. I would assume now that it is the motherboard. I think the video is integrated. But it still doens't make sense that it works in VGA mode.

I'm going to order one on Ebay and I'll let you all know if it works.

daveywave7

join:2000-05-24
Chicago, IL

freakout/drossvirex

have you got the LCD screen to work yet?

i am in the same EXACT boat as you. i have the exact same 15.3" hitachi sxga+ TFT lcd screen with that same model number: TX38D99VC1CAA.

but i believe i know what we did wrong. while you had ordered a very very similar lcd inverter, made for a samsung lcd , i had ordered one made for an lbm lcd.

but now i just realized this inverter model is a j12i005.00 ambit chip. and looking to track one down currently. there is nothing on ebay, and google results a few unstocked items around. i will follow this thread up as soon as i get something going.

ps. my screen blinks red on bios boot then the backlight is off until next powerup.

dragon
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-30
Spring, TX
reply to freakout9903

(topic move) Dell Inspiron 8100 Laptop LCD problem

Moderator Action
The post that was here, and all followups to it, were moved to a new topic .. » LCD problem- Dell Inspiron 8100

Jason
Stowage Class Traveler
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-24
38.2967 Lat
kudos:3
reply to freakout9903

Holy thread resurection, Batman!

I too am in this same boat now.

Grrr..

Insperion 8100, with the exact same hitachi display as pictured above (TX38D99VC1CAA) and same story as Daveywave,
Screen blinks red for a split second on power up, but then remains off untill reboot. I used to build OIT embedded computers with either 10.4" or 15" displays, and in my experience Even tho I had replaced maybe 60 Inverters, there was only 1 CCFL failure that I recall. Those screens were NEC tho, not Hitachi.

So, has anyone had any luck finding a replacement card? I called screentekinc.com as they have the whole display module (for ~$500, IIRC) but dont sell just the inverters.. Screentek referred me to www.mpdparts.com who said they didnt carry dell 8100 stuff..

So, Here I am again, Stuck.
Grrr..

-Jason
--
...If you choose to pull the trigger
...Should your drama prove sincere
Do it somewhere far away from here.

Jason
Stowage Class Traveler
Premium,Mod
38.2967 Lat
reply to freakout9903

Quick update;

After a lot of web searching, I found a company (Bliss Computers) that seems to stock the OEM replacement inverter. Its $65 +$10 shipping. I ordered one, and will let you know how it works out.

-Jason
--

koam
Pink Pecker
Premium
join:2000-08-16
East Puddle
Reviews:
·Shoreham Telephone
reply to freakout9903

I had the sme thing happen with an Inspiron 5000 just after the warranty was up. I would advise you to BACK UP YOUR DISK now. Immediately after my LCD went bad, it worked on a CRT, but soon thereafter, it did not work on CRT either. And the whole machine started to go bad...just a day later.

At that point I could do nothing with the machine except take out the HD and get someone to extract my files for me.

Fortunately, I had purchased the machine on American Express and that covered 1 extra year of service...so after a repair shop declared it dead, Amex paid for my Inspiron 600m to replace it. Not so bad...but it was a problem while my machine was down.

Back up that disk.
--
Danieli Consulting LLC, Strategy and Brandinghttp://kdanieli.com

Jason
Stowage Class Traveler
Premium,Mod
38.2967 Lat
reply to freakout9903

Bliss board came in.. Visually, its a perfect copy of the removed card.. Will post installation results tonight.

also found a company selling the CCFL tube for this display for $9.99

Will have more info later.

-Jason
--