Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Netbars

join:2001-02-09
Bronx, NY
reply to freakout9903

Re: Dell Inspiron 8100 Laptop LCD problem

Does anyone know where to find a 500m inverter? I asked straight up at the Dell Spare Parts number. This is what aspired:

Me: I need an inverter board for the 500m. How much would an out-of-warranty repair cost?
Dell Tech Support: 790 dollars.

Me: I need a D1001, it's the 14.1 inch XGA LCD assembly with inverter board and cables, how much would it cost?
Dell Spare Parts: It'd come with a 90 day warranty, and costs 389 dollars.
Me: So you don't sell the inverter board separately.
Dell SP: Not a chance.
Me: So if the LCD is fine, I couldn't buy the inverter board itself.
Dell SP: That is correct.
Me: That sucks.
Dell SP: Yeah I guess..

I am having the same trouble, dim monitor, the text is there, it may be the backlight but it's probably the inverter board. The only way to find out would be to check the potential difference across the board.. I don't have a multimeter on hand so my educated guess stands at the inverter crapping out. It's a less than 100 dollar spare part; can anyone find me a direct seller? Google is not my friend.

Tursiops_G
Technoid
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-06
Norwalk, CT
kudos:1

Dell 500m inverter board

Are there any part number markings on the Inverter board itself?

It's possible that DELL may use the same inverter board for different laptop models... Having the EXACT part number of the board itself may lead to a source...

HTH,

-Tursiops_G.
--
If You're Unsure, "RTFM"... If You're SURE, "RTFM" Anyway.

Netbars

join:2001-02-09
Bronx, NY
It's an Ambit board, Rev 2, J071063.01

Nope, Dell pretty much mixes all Ambit products around in a big pile, puts a blindfold on and chooses another one for a different laptop line. 500M/600M/D500/D600 are all pretty much the same product though, so they probably all share this same part. Either Ambit makes a pretty shitty board or all different LCD's fall prey to the Dell touch of death; drop dead right after warranty expires!

I guess the only place I can get the part is from Dell; I called up 247laptoplcd and a lady said she may order the display assembly from a purchaser... who probably will get it from Dell... the only discount would be I probably don't need the LCD assembly. yay? :/

Wonder how much I can part out the laptop for..

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL
kudos:1
reply to Netbars

Re: Dell Inspiron 8100 Laptop LCD problem

said by Netbars:

Me: So you don't sell the inverter board separately.
Dell SP: Not a chance.
Me: So if the LCD is fine, I couldn't buy the inverter board itself.
Dell SP: That is correct.
Me: That sucks.
Dell SP: Yeah I guess..

Jeez great cust service, love the responses looked like you were talking to some AOL kid. They could have responded " Sorry we don't" " Unfortunately that is how it is sold".