Vamp
5c077
Premium
join:2003-01-28
MD
kudos:1
reply to Woof Woof9

Re: My FIOS install

Good I hope it rips down all the fiber and it blows away.

Jws21

join:2003-05-19
Erie, PA

I hope the poles rip out , blow away and get planted in my backyard

Woof Woof9
I Miss Brother Iz

join:2004-09-01
Keller, TX

THPTHPHTPHTPHTPHTPTH....

As far as I know, all the fiber in Keller is under ground.

Vamp
5c077
Premium
join:2003-01-28
MD

well .... Maybe some critters will eat it

Clint_gallon

@1scom.net
reply to Integrator

Elegin ... im in keller whats the cost???

kriskuhl

join:2004-09-19
Keller, TX

5/2 Mbps is 39.99

15/5 Mbps is 49.99
(It says 15/2 on their page, but I'm sure it's 15/5)

30/5 is 199.99

You also get $5 discount with a phone package. Installation is free.

www22.verizon.com/ForYourHome/Fi···rice.asp'

Jws21

join:2003-05-19
Erie, PA

said by kriskuhl:
5/2 Mbps is 39.99

15/5 Mbps is 49.99
(It says 15/2 on their page, but I'm sure it's 15/5)

30/5 is 199.99

You also get $5 discount with a phone package. Installation is free.

www22.verizon.com/ForYourHome/Fi···rice.asp'

I'm pretty sure its 15/2 from the speed tests I've seen from some users but if it is 15/5 then you keller Texans really make me sick

KONG4

join:2002-04-05
Tampa, FL

Ive seen several people post questions asking if the packages have enough bandwidth for HDTV.
When Verizon starts offering TV services over the fiber it will not affect your internet in anyway. One fiber line is cable of carrying several beams of light.
The light they use is a Infra Red light source. What they do is pick a frequency spectrum to broadcast over. Now the numbers I'm about to use are not exact as I cant seem to find my resource for it at the moment but it will do for illustration purposes.
Light has frequency spectrums just like analog and dsl does on copper lines. So it something like this.

1400-1550 Mhz freq = Internet 1650-1750 = Tv 2200-3000 = voice data

Now this is not the actually frequency these operate at but is just to give you an idea of how this works.
Your internet will be in no way tied to your HDTV. So you will not have to loose download speed to be able to watch ESPN in Hi-Def. The light frequencies can be carried over the same optic line though. They will end up setting up a piece of equipment at your house which separates the frequencies and send one to your tv and the other to your pc and your phone.

Woof Woof9
I Miss Brother Iz

Keller, TX

said by KONG:
When Verizon starts offering TV services over the fiber it will not affect your internet in anyway. One fiber line is cable of carrying several beams of light.

I posed that question early on. I've since found a URL (and lost it) that gave the exact numbers. The numbers are in nm (nanometers) not Mhz, but you get the drift.

I searched all over AFC's website for details and couldn't come up with the numbers again.

In any case, they do show what harware to expect for apartments and multi-dwelling homes.

»www.afc.com/documents/literature···w(1).pdf

sdgfrty

@optonline.net

"1490 and 1310 nm - are used to transmit data and telephony services, while an overlay wavelength in the 1550 nm window is used to carry video services and digital TV channels"

The Answer Guy

@tnt1.jackson.mi.da.u
reply to Woof Woof9

Well, you can search all over AFC's website for the data on the tv wavelength, but you probably won't find it. Their terminal in the office won't be sending the video signal. The video source will actually come from a third party box. Although, the AFC terminal at your house is set to use a specific wavelength, that I don't remember off hand. We still don't know what company will be used at this time in the office. Of all the vendor announcements Vz has made on this project, none of them sell video equipment to my knowledge.

rpsmith

join:2004-04-19
Huntington Beach, CA
reply to Woof Woof9

said by Woof Woof9:
In any case, they do show what harware to expect for apartments and multi-dwelling homes.

Awesome! Thanks for the link! Man, I am still seeing trucks here in Huntington Beach. I saw a tall white fridge-looking box next to one of them. I'm gonna stop by and say hello.

lick_me

@rtchrd01.md.comcast.
reply to Julio

stop saying trials, these are not trials, this is the service for sale. its not going away. its going to take years for us to finish this. bottom line is if your not in a big money area right now, your not gonna get it.

lick_me

@rtchrd01.md.comcast.
reply to Tzale

look i dont understand why anyone thinks were using dark fiber and lighting it up, were not. this fiber is 100 percent new fiber from the co to the prem. were basically starting from scratch. just so you know. also how can people really be this amazed by fiber. the majority of people who are writing in this forum must have no idea what is capable with this stuff. 15-50 megs aint nothin. thats only because of the technology on both ends. i wouldnt be surprised if were sending and recieving terabits in 10-15 years, if not sooner.

Glavin

@247.xx.247.Dial1.Tam

lick_me I like the fact that you speak as if you are from verizon but you have a comcast ip.

Glavin

MEDIAN2k3
Your Ad Here
Premium
join:2002-12-04
Bronx, NY
reply to Integrator

hehe maybe lick_me doesnt qualify for dsl lol

although it is interesting to see this deployed.

i just wish they would move the trials from queens to the bronx, i mean queens isnt a big money boro, manhatten would be, oh well *shrugs*

VZ_Guy

@sea1-4.xx.84.xx.sea1
reply to Integrator

lick_me sounds like s/he could very well be a Verizon tech and, with the Fios roll out going on, may well be in a region not yet served by ADSL for distance or cost reasons. A good chunk of the budget is being diverted to FTTP/FTTH, and I don't disagree with the decision to do so. Am I going to benefit from it myself any time soon? I doubt it... but I can wait.

But, s/he is completely correct: This isn't spare or "dark" fiber we're lighting up, it's new construction, and costing quite a pile of money to do.

Some dated facts:

2 "channels" of HDTV with 7.1 Dolby Digital surround takes 43 Mb/s of bandwidth using Zenith's VSB-16 system, drop that to 19 Mb/s for a single "channel".

Typical light sources for fiber, whose expense is constantly going down, reliability and bandwidth up, were capable of 10 Gb/s, with 10 different spectral widths and center wavelengths, in November 2003. 10 X 10 = 100 Gb/s from one end to the other, and light goes both ways without interference.

5.12 Tb/s (yup, that's Terra) has been done in the lab, with 20 Km of fiber between the transmitter and receiver (12.43 miles for you metric-challenged folks), again, circa November 2003.

FTTP/FTTH/PON (passive optical network) design parameters, in Nov 2003, included taking a single strand from the office end to 32 homes via optical splitters. Shortly after Nov, that number changed to 64, then 128.

"Overbuild" is far more expensive than "greenfield". Adding fiber to our existing network is more expensive than placing it in that new subdivision down the street. Plowing in buried or hanging aerial fiber takes more time, manpower and equipment than pulling it into subduct alongside existing copper, which is more than pulling it into that brand new subduct in the new development.

Video will occur as a "demand" style offering, where the channel you choose is pumped from the office to you on a separate wavelength from data and phone. Why shove every channel available to the customer when you only need to pipe them the ones they're watching? We've already set up agreements with DirecTV and Blockbuster, more to come.

BTW, I am a Certified Fiber Optics Installer, independent certification, not through Verizon.

Woof Woof9
I Miss Brother Iz

Keller, TX

OK, I got a few problems with the "one channel at a time" statement.

1 - If this is how it will be done, why the F-connector on the ONT? RG-6 doesn't sound like the optimum connection for a one channel at a time, all digital system. I'd believe it more if there were a second RJ-45 dedicated to video.

2 - Wouldn't it be a whole lot cheaper to split off a specific nm band and pipe it to the F-Connector, and then use off the shelf digital cable decoder boxes? I'm assuming that you can take a hundred multiplexed Digital TV cahnnels (ala what cable does now) and push it out on one nm band and then split it off to an F connector at the ONT much easier than pushing channels out onesy-twosy to each and every home. FAR less complexity on the head-end and it doesn't preclude PPV... just makes it a little less flexible.

I like the idea of an all digital transmission, but the one at a time premise sounds vastly more improbable than the "every channel to everyone" setup that cable has used for ages.

astamand
Premium
join:2003-10-11
Temple, NH
reply to Integrator

What model is that APC unit on the wall? Is it a battery or just a cable management piece. I could not make out the model from the photo.

Thanks,

-=Alex
--
This opinion subject to change without notice, contents may settle during shipping…

Woof Woof9
I Miss Brother Iz

Keller, TX

I can't find a model number on it either... it is a specialized broadband UPS. It outputs either 12V or 48V depending on the model (I would assume they are using a 48V model for pots voltages.)

There is a battery and power supply in the unit.

»www.apcc.com/products/family/ind···m?id=133

dr blake

@tci.com
reply to Tzale

Light speed for high end computers is the high end customers creed. Is it worth it? Will it last.

High dollar infrastructure maintenance investment, highly trained fiber techs required at every level, long wait time to restore fiber breaks, customer pays for the drop repair... 600$ ea. right? a tough business decision and hard for new employee commitment if it folds. »..

splicer2
Premium
join:2004-08-27
Pasadena, MD

Where did you hear that the customer is responsible for the drop? I need to see a press release or an article supporting that claim.

splicer2
Premium
join:2004-08-27
Pasadena, MD
reply to dr blake

Fiber is also much cheaper to maintain than copper plant. As for the restore time,its about the same as copper because the cables are usually much smaller than copper cables,less splicing. By the time a break is found, a new cable is placed, and it is spliced,it is no different than any of our existing cables.Highly trained techs; an educated employee makes for a better company.

Zeb0
Premium
join:2000-07-10
Dallas, TX
reply to VZ_Guy

said by VZ_Guy:
lick_me sounds like s/he could very well be a Verizon tech

I guess the really bad grammar gave it away! =0

wrxrxtn

join:2000-12-13
Seal Beach, CA
reply to rpsmith

said by rpsmith:
said by Woof Woof9:

Awesome! Thanks for the link! Man, I am still seeing trucks here in Huntington Beach. I saw a tall white fridge-looking box next to one of them. I'm gonna stop by and say hello.

whereabouts in hb?
--
Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Imports.

rpsmith

join:2004-04-19
Huntington Beach, CA

Hi 440,

Bolsa Chica close to Edinger, and Heil close to Bolsa Chica. Always lookin for more. Fridge was on BC, S of Edinger.

Djp1

@attbi.com

fios buildout going on now north of Boston in Andover, Reading and the surrounding towns -- Boxes, are up trucks are now completing the splices.

You would almost think this isn't the verizon that frustrates the hell out of us when I need a DSx...

wrxrxtn

join:2000-12-13
Seal Beach, CA
reply to rpsmith

said by rpsmith:
Hi 440,

Bolsa Chica close to Edinger, and Heil close to Bolsa Chica. Always lookin for more. Fridge was on BC, S of Edinger.

fiber huntin we will go!
--
Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Imports.

anonymous

@dsl.emhril.ameritech
reply to Integrator

Re: My 2cent about fiber

Verizon is not crazy doing the FTTP. As ELENgin mentioned you NEED to move your phone to fiber, verizon dont need to lease phone lines to CLEC since it is on fiber.

BTW, field trial on a major city like NYC is pretty insane. Usually field trials are done on small cities for reasons, cheaper set-up etc.

nerdling301

join:2004-01-12
Brookline, MA
reply to Integrator

Re: My FIOS install

I ENVY YOU WITH A PASSION UNMATCHED BY CHEESE
--
- Bill