All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

RobertKepper
@dslextreme.com

RobertKepper

Anon

IOS invalid checksum + booting from ROM???

Hi all,

I have the following problem during a IOS upgrade. During initial power on of the router the command prompt shows:

Router(boot)>

From my understanding the IOS in ROM is being loaded correct and not the flash IOS? I have used the "sh flash" command to see if the proper image is there and it is, the only strange thing I notice is the "invalid checksum" after the file name. For instance:

c2500-jk9os1-122.bin [invalid chacksum]

I have tried the following methods to correct the problem:

1. Erase the flash/startup-config and reload a new one. When I load the new flash from a tftp server it shows the !!!!!!!! stating the transfer is going through but when it is almost over it gives me this message:

%Error: System flash location 0x3808000 - wrote 0x3000000 , read 0x0

COPY: Text checksum verification failure

TFTP from 192.168.10.2 failed/aborted

Verifying checksum... invalid (expected 0x297D, computed 0x77F6)
Flash copy took 0:04:11 [hh:mm:ss]
Router(boot)#

I have verified the router can ping the tftp server and vise versa. I have performed a few of these upgrades but this is the first I have ever seen where the router defaults to the ROM IOS regardless when I even use the command "boot system flash [image]".

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can correctly load the IOS and boot from it?
aryoba
MVM
join:2002-08-22

aryoba

MVM

Do you have Smartnet contract?

When memory serves, "Text checksum verification failure" error message means there may be transmission error between the TFTP server and the router. It also may be the image itself is corrupted.

You might want to get another working image for the router. You may also want to install new TFTP software. You can check out this forum's FAQ on how to do those.

RobertKepper
@dslextreme.com

RobertKepper to RobertKepper

Anon

to RobertKepper

Re: IOS invalid checksum + booting from ROM???

I made sure the tftp server was working by getting a image from the router and uploaded it back to the same router.

As for a working image, I got a working image from the same series router (2500) and uploaded it to the router in question but still no luck. This image was verified working.

Any other suggestions?
aryoba
MVM
join:2002-08-22

aryoba

MVM

Flash memory chip problem?

Assuming no bad transmission and no bad TFTP server, try to swap the flash memory chips between the working router and the router you currently work on. See what happen ...

RobertKeeper
@dslextreme.com

RobertKeeper to RobertKepper

Anon

to RobertKepper

Re: IOS invalid checksum + booting from ROM???

I will give that a try.

Does the situtation I am describing sound like hardware failure?

I also changed the registery to boot from the flash but no luck.
RobertKeeper

RobertKeeper

Anon

(bump)
RobertKeeper

RobertKeeper to RobertKepper

Anon

to RobertKepper
?
Danny010101
join:2004-05-20
Sunnyvale, CA

Danny010101 to RobertKepper

to RobertKepper
I am also experiencing this on a freinds router. I was just about to post this same question but looks like someone beat me to it.

My friend has tried all the same methods mentioned above. Is this most likely failure of the flash RAM?
freccetta
join:2004-01-15

freccetta

Sounds as if your flash card has problems.Have you tried giving a format flash: before reloading the new image?
Phraxos
Premium Member
join:2004-06-12
UK

Phraxos

Premium Member

This is typical of a flash failure.

%Error: System flash location 0x3808000 - wrote 0x3000000 , read 0x0, is telling you that the router is reading back a different value to what it is programming, i.e. the flash is not programming correctly.

There is no solution to this except to replace the flash. Erasing the flash will make no difference because the flash is erased anyway when you try and program it.

Tom