Premium Member
join:2004-09-04
USA

1 edit

noerurz to aloneworld

Premium Member

to aloneworld

Re: Selling pictures...

I see several local photographers selling their work at craft stores and galleries, but they are all film based, printed on high quality photographic paper, not printed with a printer. People are dubious, as am I, of the archival properties of printed images, no matter claims of over 70 years 'when properly stored'.

Anyone want to reassure me?

{edit} Also, who of you out there actually sell photos for an income?

Mauricio9
Premium Member
join:2001-12-04
Vancouver, BC

Mauricio9

Premium Member

You can always have your digital images printed on that very same high quality photographic paper. That is not a prerogative of film. I personally would not even think of trying to sell a picture printed by an inkjet (nor put one in my albums).

aloneworld
'nother day, 'nother goof
Premium Member
join:2003-05-13
HHV, NY

aloneworld

Premium Member

I don't think it costs too much to bring or mail a CD to a lab and get a good printing of it.

noerurz
Don't Mess With The Chads
Premium Member
USA

noerurz to Mauricio9

Premium Member

to Mauricio9
said by Mauricio9:
You can always have your digital images printed on that very same high quality photographic paper. That is not a prerogative of film. I personally would not even think of trying to sell a picture printed by an inkjet (nor put one in my albums).

Not all printed images are done with inkjet, of course. And then maybe my standards aren't as high as yours.:p

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium Member
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY

Stacy to Mauricio9

Premium Member

to Mauricio9
said by Mauricio9:

Problem is, it's not just the paper. There's also the quality of ink and and process. I have prints done on what was supposedly Epson archival quality paper. The ones stiored in my archival case, enclosed in archival plastic look fine -so far. The ones I leave exposed to normal room light look terrible.
Stacy

Stacy to noerurz

Premium Member

to noerurz
said by noerurz:
Not all printed images are done with inkjet, of course. And then maybe my standards aren't as high as yours.:p

It doesn't really matter what your standards might be.. what matters is your clients' expectations.

I still remember when one particular paper manufacturer got into a major lawsuit when their color print paper didn't live up to consumers' expectations. Some people had this idea that "forever" was more than seven years.

noerurz
Premium Member
USA

noerurz

Premium Member

said by Stacy:

It doesn't really matter what your standards might be.. what matters is your clients' expectations.

Well, my PhD is in theoretical organic chemistry, what the hell do I know about inkjet chemistry.

Mauricio9
Premium Member
join:2001-12-04
Vancouver, BC

Mauricio9

Premium Member

said by noerurz:
Well, my PhD is in theoretical organic chemistry, what the hell do I know about inkjet chemistry.

This discussion is about marketing, not organic chemistry, so my economics Ph.D. is worth as much as your organic chemistry one. Pulling rank is completely inappropriate. If I were trying to sell pictures, I would take more than one leaf from Stacy's book.

noerurz
Premium Member
USA

1 edit

noerurz

Premium Member

said by Mauricio9:
said by noerurz:

This discussion is about marketing, not organic chemistry, so my economics Ph.D. is worth as much as your organic chemistry one. Pulling rank is completely inappropriate. If I were trying to sell pictures, I would take more than one leaf from Stacy's book.

Chill out doc, we all here to have a little fun and learn! Eco huh?

Sorry if I offended anyone else. I didn't know havin a PhD was pullin rank. Backs out quietly the second floor window, thinking it a exit.

MLOK5
My Reality Check Bounced
MVM
join:2000-08-17
Allen, TX

2 recommendations

MLOK5 to Mauricio9

MVM

to Mauricio9
said by Mauricio9:
said by noerurz:

Well my MBA *did* teach me those things, so !!!

Gemologist
Premium Member
join:2001-11-15
USA

3 recommendations

Gemologist to noerurz

Premium Member

to noerurz
said by noerurz:
I see several local photographers selling their work at craft stores and galleries, but they are all film based, printed on high quality photographic paper, not printed with a printer. People are dubious, as am I, of the archival properties of printed images, no matter claims of over 70 years 'when properly stored'.

Anyone want to reassure me?

{edit} Also, who of you out there actually sell photos for an income?

Film based or digital based does not matter. My prints made from my digital are on same paper and done almost identically to those from a film based camera. Frankly I would say if you are selling the prints to people then you should stick with a place that "develops" digital images versus "prints" them. My wife sells prints and such and all are done on either Fuji Crystal Archival or Kodak E-Metallic. The Fuji Crystal Archival is one of the best for longevity and also for quality (if used in a good machine with a good operator).. But make sure to stick with well known places also that put out consistent quality prints like Mpix, WHCC, Shutterfly, etc.. Stay away from places like EZPrints (who have been screwing up alot lately) and some will say Wal-mart/Sams Club which are fine for scrap books and such.. but for selling NOWAY! I have tried 3 Wal_Marts now and all are OK.. but nothing in comparison to Mpix, WHCC, and even Shutterfly. Wink is also another decent place to get prints. My wife has ordered around 500 prints from Wink and around 100 or so from Mpix in the last month or so with no problems with any prints except for 1 where the rollers appears to drag on the surface (which was replaced promptly). Make sure to keep your print sizes reasonable to your cameras ability also! You would be surprised what you can sell setting up at local Church Arts & Crafts shows and stuff like that.. cost like $15-$20 a space to setup and you can easily make money if your work is good. My wife sets sup and sells online, auctions, Art Shows, Arts & Crafts Shows (big and small) selling her work and many of mine with her business. But as MLOK5 See Profile said.. legally you should have a Sales Tax License also.

noerurz See Profile, if get your digitals done from places like I mentioned above they are just as good if not better then film prints in most cases. I have had upto 20x30" done frequently from digital and they look just as good as my film ones