Premium Member
join:1999-07-29
Seattle, WA

wesm to KoolMoe

Premium Member

to KoolMoe

Re: Speakeasy VOIP?

said by KoolMoe:
Solid, reliable 911 is crucial to me as well, with a wife and two kids. My hopeful plan, as stated posts above, is to keep a very basic (lowest level possible) landline at about $15/month.
I feel the need to throw my $0.02 in here: In addition to a spouse and kids (especially if one or more of those people is not as technologically adept as the person ordering VoIP), if you have a pool or spa, IMHO it's downright criminal to not have real E911 service. We have a pool in our backyard, and it is secured by a fence, a gate with a high latch and sensor alarms, but in the event someone goes off the diving board the wrong way and slaps their head, we need 911 and we need it fast.

I have tried BroadVoice's in-state $9.95 plan and loved it. The only two reasons we didn't switch were a lack of LNP (which I knew about going in; I was just trying the service out) and E911 missing. I would very much like to hear from some Packet8 users on if their E911 offering works, but that's getting far too off-topic for this forum..

genxr
Premium Member
join:2004-08-11
Arlington, TX

genxr

Premium Member

911 is an important factor and if I had kids, a pool or if my mom lived with me, I too would keep pots line up. But, the added competition VOIP has brought to the table with such cheap LD, it should drive the pots LD costs down even further. Similarly, I bet the VOIP co's are working to tie into the 911 system and improve overall stablity to make their service more attractive.