Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dangme

join:2001-09-15
San Francisco, CA

[ME] hosts vs. hosts.sam vs lmhosts.sam

Hi All,

Can someone please explain the difference among these files? I want to customize my hosts to block adds and sites that push malware. With XP it was a snap, just put a copy of the hosts file in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc. But it seems a little more complicated with ME. Will some kind soul please walk me through?

inTulsa
Premium
join:2002-02-24

The process for WinME and Win9x is similar to what it is for XP. I think for ME the HOSTS file should be in the Windows directory instead of /windows/system32/drivers/etc/.

Windows caches the existence of the HOSTS file. If it didn't find one when it 1st went looking for it, it won't keep looking all the time. Reboot the PC if you created a HOSTS and there wasn't one before.

• HOSTS filename with no extension is what Windows looks for (unless special registry entry changes it).
• HOSTS.SAM is a sample file to illustrate the content format.
• LMHOSTS.SAM is a sample for NetBios / WINS services which is not applicable to what you're trying to do.

dangme

join:2001-09-15
San Francisco, CA
reply to dangme

Thanks for the help, inTulsa. Win ME, in fact, does keep the above-discussed hosts files in C:\Windows.

If I'm hearing you correctly, all I need to do is replace the hosts file (no extension) and I'm all set. Do I have that right?

inTulsa
Premium
join:2002-02-24

said by dangme:
all I need to do is replace the hosts file (no extension) and I'm all set. Do I have that right?

Yes. If there was already an existing HOSTS file that's all you need to do. If there wasn't one before then you'd have to reboot.

bt06437

join:2001-12-03
Carrollton, TX
reply to dangme

»www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

includes a link to the authors host file.