This is a sub-selection from well

SOLdesign
Did I drink a shot of Irrational Whore?
Premium
join:2002-07-29
Woodland Hills, CA
reply to Roundboy

Re: well

cancelled our phone service 2 years ago and it was the best decision we EVER made.

we have cable modems, and use cell phones.

no marketing calls, no political calls, no outrageous line fees. The few marketing calls we get (only 3 or 4 in the last two years) I always say if they don't stop calling they will receive a bill for the per minute charges incurred on this cell line plus a $25 per minute administrative fee. Amazing how they NEVER call back!

we save over $600 per year (we would have the cell phones anyway and we have great plans)

The only reason we will get a land line in the future would be when we have a baby and we want the security of a landline in case the cells go out (earthquake, or disaster). I know, chances are the landline would be down too!
hehehehe

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

Easier to do in CA - in Ohio there are still entire sections that do not have cell service or it is spotty. I had to change cell providers because my wife could not get a signal in her work place - and her phone is the emergency phone for our sons daycare.

There is still a lot of obstacles to cells taking over phone duties - heck till last yeasr I think most cell phones could not give 911 where the phone is located. The spotty 9q11 service is one reason I won't go VIOP anytime soon...
--
Brian
America's Army Forum Moderator and America's Army Beta Tester

mberlant

@ap.plala.or

How hard is it to tell the 911 operator the location of the emergency along with its nature? It wasn't that long ago that none of the 911 service centers could locate a caller based upon the calling number. It wasn't so long before that when every phone had a sticker on it with the Police Department and Fire Department phone numbers on it.

Your Police Department will gladly tell you their POTS number for their 911 center if you call their non-emergency number (in your phone book) and ask them for it. Then, you can program your VoIP dialer to call that number whenever you dial 911. You can also store that number in your cell phone for when you need it!

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

There have been several cases where a person did nto know where they were because they were not familiar with the town or they were kidnapped and blindfolded.

911 in a town you have never seen and especially in the dark - good luck with knowing where you are....
--
Brian

kakac

join:2002-01-20
Tallahassee, FL

We are talking about people who want voip in their homes. Not vacationers.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

I know - there have been many times where people are attacked and can't tell the operator where they are.... VOIP has to work with 911 or else it is dangerous to have because oyu can't rely on it to give 911 info that may be needed to save someones life.
--
Brian

« Meanwhile...
This is a sub-selection from well