spc
Search similar:

uniqs

webmaker
join:2004-05-08
San Francisco, CA

webmaker

[XP Pro] Not working after SP2, error 0x80004005

I really need some help.  A friend installed SP2 on his XP pro machine.  Now it will boot up, it gives you the different icons for the different users, but when you click on an icon you receive a message on the screen that says, "(I forget) can't log on the person, Error Code: 0x80004005".

I go into the "safe mode" and goto "add/remove" and try to remove SP2,,, but it won't let me.  (Probably have to be logged in?)

So, I ask you all, how to remove SP2, or just a fix for this problem.  Anyone have any links to any sites that address this problem? or have a fix?   (It would be so easy to suggest to this kid to reformat, and start fresh.  I hate to do that to him since I know he has lots of music, games and other things he values.)

Thank you in advance.

Greg_Z
Premium Member
join:2001-08-08
Springfield, IL

1 edit

Greg_Z

Premium Member

I really cannot see how it is related totally to SP2, there have to be underlying facts involved as to why it was returned, due to it relates to a database problem (could be anything, see Microsoft listing of knowledgebase articles.

Did you happen to install IIs server on this particular machine? What is the exact wording of this error when it returned with the page code?

0x80004005 is an error caused by ODBC and the updates to Microsoft JET. Do a search and you will get some links to follow.

»search.microsoft.com/sea ··· 80004005
»www.iisfaq.com/default.a ··· P75&P=78

webmaker
San Francisco, CA

webmaker

Re: [XP Pro] Not working after SP2, error 0x800040

Yes, BMW, I did do a search and Microsoft has A LOT of knowledge base articles on that error code.  But none have to do with installing SP2.

One article was about that error code when you install XP.  So I tried using the Recovery Console to rename some files and expand from the CD to ...windows/system32 directory.   No luck.

So I turn to this forum for help.  I will try to get the exact text of the message for you.

At first I thought it was a bad reg number and that would be easy to fix (as I have had to do several in the past).   But reg key was not the issue.

Thanks

auggy
Mod
join:2001-12-24
Brockville, ON

2 edits

auggy

Mod

said by webmaker:
Yes, BMW, I did do a search and Microsoft has A LOT of knowledge base articles on that error code.  But none have to do with installing SP2.

One article was about that error code when you install XP.  So I tried using the Recovery Console to rename some files and expand from the CD to ...windows/system32 directory.   No luck.

Was this the MS KB article?

"Error Code: 0x80004005” error message when you install Windows XP

Anyway, it appears that installing SP2 either did not complete the install properly or perhaps damaged some .dll's.

If you can boot into Safe Mode, try re-registering the .dlls named in the following MS KB article:

Detecting Digital Signing Issues in Windows XP

Also re-register the regwizc.dll and licdll.dll:

Start > Run > regsvr32.exe regwizc.dll > Ok

Start > Run > regsvr32.exe licdll.dll > Ok

Also, if problems persist consider downloading the SP2 network installation (if you can boot into Safe Mode with Networking) and re-install SP2.

Also you could try, in Safe Mode, using "System Restore" to restore your computer to a Restore Point prior to installing SP2, but this may not work.

webmaker
San Francisco, CA

webmaker

I now have the exact message reported:

"A problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the license for this computer.  Error Code 0x8000405"

At first I thought it was a licensing problem.

Has anyone seen this error message before? and most importantly, have a fix for this problem?

Thanks

Greg_Z
Premium Member
join:2001-08-08
Springfield, IL

Greg_Z

Premium Member

Yes, it happened pre SP2 with some SP1 installs, due to possible License issue, especially with Corporate installs.

webmaker
San Francisco, CA

webmaker

Thanks BMW.

I don't know the fix.  I thought I could maybe install a different number but I can only access the computer in the Safe Mode.  I tried to do the "oobe", whatever it is command, to bring up the program to input a new key, but no luck, it said it won't work in the Safe Mode.

Do you, or anyone else, know how to change the key while only being able use the Safe Mode? (if it is a key issue.  It worked for many years with this key.).

So I am at an impasse.   :-(

auggy
Mod
Brockville, ON

auggy to webmaker

Mod

to webmaker

Re: [XP Pro] Not working after SP2, error 0x80004005

In the following link, there are steps to check the Event Viewer System logs for files that cannot be found during logon, that may prevent Windows from loading in Normal Mode:

»www.jsiinc.com/subr/tip8 ··· 8521.htm

I take it re-registering the .dll's as I suggested in my previous post, did not work.

webmaker
San Francisco, CA

1 edit

webmaker

Re: [XP Pro] Not working after SP2, error 0x800040

Event Log Report
Thank you Auggy for the info.  I did visit that site and the missing files are there, so not the problem.

I go into the Event Log and captured a pic of what the message is and what the Event Logs says.

I am still looking for someone that might have a magic answer for this problem.  I really don't want to tell the kid to re-install XP.

Thank you to all.

PeeWee
Premium Member
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA

PeeWee to webmaker

Premium Member

to webmaker

Re: [XP Pro] Not working after SP2, error 0x80004005

A repair install will give you the opportunity to re-enter license number.

auggy
Mod
Brockville, ON

auggy to webmaker

Mod

to webmaker
Did you ever attempt to do "System Restore" in Safe Mode?

Also, if nothing works, as suggested by PeeWee See Profile, consider doing a repair installation of XP (arrange in the BIOS to boot the cd-rom first):

»The Broadband Reports Windows XP FAQ »How do I repair Windows XP?

In Safe Mode, back up any important files before attempting a repair.

webmaker
San Francisco, CA

webmaker

said by auggy:
Did you ever attempt to do "System Restore" in Safe Mode?

Yes Auggy.  I did try the restore and it wouldn't do it.  I forget right now what it said, it has been a week.

I also tried to un-install XP SP2 and in the Safe Mode it wouldn't allow it.

So I think the only thing left to do is to reinstall, as you suggested.

Thanks!
webmaker

webmaker

Thank you auggy, and everyone for their input.

I did as auggy suggested, and did a repair of Windows XP and the machine is working, and everything is looking as (I assume) it did before the problem.

Thanks all!