spc
Search similar:

uniqs

DACC
@sympatico.ca

DACC

Anon

Netgear MR814V2 Speedstream 5200

I have read most of the Q&A's and anything I though looked similar. I cannot get this combination working. I updated the modem firmware and set it as Bridged, I updated the router firmware, I tried MTU stuff, any and all fixes I found here. I am wired to the router, so it's nothing to do with the wireless portion. That works fine, when the wired hook up is working good but exhibits the same symptoms when the wired connection starts acting up.
The connection works fine for a while but then I start getting slow downs and then not being able to get to pages, very similar symptoms to the "Synch but can't browse" problems I have seen here but updating the modem did not fix. Thought it did when I first did the firmware update on the modem but then the symptoms returned. For now I have gone back to my linksys wired router and everything is fine.
Any new ideas or old ideas I have missed? Used the router on an Alacatel modem that I have on a line at work and everything works well - so it's something wrong between the Netgear Router and the Speedstream for sure.

If the router is autosensing the connection to the modem as 100mbp instead of 10mbps could that cause the problem? Wild guess and if it is, can't find how to set that...
Totally out of ideas.........
cybersnow
join:2003-10-10

cybersnow

I have the exact same problem as you! I have a D-Link 704UP pluged to the 5200 E242 Speedstream modem. Each time I plug it in the WAN port, all my LAN Port drop to 10mpbs instead of 100mpbs. I also notice lag and that's because than Network card is try to change speed from 100mbits to 10mbits.

Note to Moderator: Please don't puch this post to Netgear forum... It's a Speedstream (sympatico) problem
cybersnow

cybersnow to DACC

to DACC
I think that the WAN port only support 10mbits. If the modem want 100mbits, the router will give it but LAN ports will decrease to 10mbits. Maybe we (because I didn't tryied this) should try to use a CAT 3 RJ45 cable between the modem and the router.

DACC
@sympatico.ca

DACC to DACC

Anon

to DACC
I don't think it's the same problem. I am not convinced at all that it's the 100 or 10 mbps thing on my set up. I assume some routers will drop all ports to 10mbps if one port is detected to be hooked up to a 10mbps device while otehrs act more like a switch where it can handle a mix of 10 and 100. It sounds like your router defaults all ports to the slowest.
My problem is that I can;t even get to web sites at any speed and not that the LAN is running at 10 instead of 100. 10 would be plenty fast enough to keep up with the modem.
The router and the modem are just not getting along with each other in some much more severe way.

Kringle1
Dr.D
Premium Member
join:2004-02-27
Pierrefonds, QC

Kringle1 to cybersnow

Premium Member

to cybersnow
Changing from Cat-5 to Cat-3 will do absolutely nothing. The only difference between the Cat-3 and Cat-5 is that Cat-5 cable can handle higher frequencies.

Your problem is a configuration issue and is a perfect example of why D-Link added a setting to their later firmware releases to allow you to change the speed setting of the WAN port on the DI-604 router.

DACC
@216.94.x.x

DACC

Anon

Agree.

So if this router is in fact sensing incorrectly that the modem is at 100mbs, could this cause the symptoms I am seeing?
As far as I know, there is no way for me to manually set the WAN port speed on this router.
I do still have a suspicion that it's something else that's the problem. Checking other boards, it would also appear I am not alone with this issue....

Kringle1
Dr.D
Premium Member
Pierrefonds, QC

Kringle1

Premium Member

If you are able to use the router at work with the Alcatel that means that the router is capable of doing the job. To me, that's a given. If the router couldn't do the job under certain circumstances, the router simply wouldn't be on the market.

You are neglecting the other variable in the equation - the DSL connection (line) itself. There may be fewer problems with the line at work and you are, therefore, not getting into the problem situation.

All I can see as a reasonable test is the following (assuming you can temporarily exchange your SpeedStream for the Alcatel at work): Borrow the Alcatel for a night and try it out at home to see if there's a difference. Does the problem follow the modem or not?

If you can't get the Alcatel from work, scout around and see if any of your friends have one you can borrow or even pick one up on e-Bay for cheap. It's a great modem for basic DSL.

Disclaimer: I don't own, or have access to, a Netgear MR814V2 so I can't really help with the configuration or other quirks that are built into that router.
cybersnow

cybersnow to DACC

to DACC
Is it possible to force the 5200 to use 10mbits instead of 100mbits full duplex?

Why do you say that Cat3 can't help? Cat3 max is 10mbits so it will not use 100mbits on WAN Port. I know all thing about frequency but if your router doesn't support more than 10mbits on WAN, it's not fair to use 100mbits. In the D-Link manual, it says that the WAN is 10mbits port.

Kringle1
Dr.D
Premium Member
Pierrefonds, QC

1 edit

Kringle1

Premium Member

said by cybersnow:
Why do you say that Cat3 can't help? Cat3 max is 10mbits so it will not use 100mbits on WAN Port. I know all thing about frequency but if your router doesn't support more than 10mbits on WAN, it's not fair to use 100mbits. In the D-Link manual, it says that the WAN is 10mbits port.

If your connection is 100mbits (controlled by the hardware handshaking on both ends and NOT the cable) using Cat-3 will only cause your connection to be unreliable. It has absolutely nothing to do with controlling the speed.

If your router is only supporting 10mbits AND the modem is auto-sensing, the connection WILL be 10mbits. If the modem is only capable of 10mbits AND the router is hard set to 100mbits, you WILL have problems.

D-Link has added the capability to set the WAN port speed in more recent firmware for the DI-604 and, as such, it's not in the documentation (except in the release notes - you know, the stuff that nobody reads).

DACC
@216.94.x.x

DACC to Kringle1

Anon

to Kringle1
I doubt it is a line issue as I have been using the set up with my linksys wired router and the same 5200 modem for over a year with no problems. Now I have removed the Netgear router, everything is working fine again. So it must be something specific to the Netgear, Speedstream combination. This weekend I will be trying the Alcatel + Netgear combination at home and see how it goes. After that, I'll chuck the Netgear router into the bin and go buy a different brand of wireless router.

Kringle1
Dr.D
Premium Member
Pierrefonds, QC

Kringle1

Premium Member

You might be able to find a D-Link DI-604 (make sure it's hardware Rev. E) really cheap ($20-$30CDN) with a little bit of searching. All five of the 604s I have running are very satisfactory.

DACC
@216.94.x.x

DACC to cybersnow

Anon

to cybersnow
Dr D is totally right on the CAT3 comment.

And I do not think that it's the 10/100 mbs thing anyway, wish I had not mentioned it actually...

Kringle1
Dr.D
Premium Member
Pierrefonds, QC

Kringle1

Premium Member

said by DACC:
And I do not think that it's the 10/100 mbs thing anyway, wish I had not mentioned it actually...

Don't wish you hadn't mentioned it. There have been a number of configurations where that was, in fact, the problem. That's why D-Link put some control over the WAN port speed in their newer firmware for the 604. Remember, the real reason for this forum is to air ALL of the possibilities in the hopes that one of them is "the answer".

DACC
@sympatico.ca

DACC

Anon

Downgraded the firmware on the router, stayed with the speedstream for now. Everything is scary fast right now, well at least for the first 30 mins.....
The updated firmware for the router: "Fixed the SBC/PPPoE WAN port detection issue in the SmartWizard", wonder what kind of modems SBC use??
Fingers crossed.
DACC

DACC

Anon

Netgear MR814V2 - not a bargain at any price.

The Netgear's toast! Just hung on me after about 2 hours. Probably cost more than it cost me to ship it back, so it's headed for the garbage bin - problem solved!

So, what's a good wireless router that works well with the Speedstream 5200??
decx
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

1 recommendation

decx

Premium Member

You could try the Linksys WRT54G, it has decent performance plus since it's firmware is open sourced you can get a number of third party firmware as alternatives to the Linksys firmware. Btw you should get network gear (especially wireless stuff) at a place like Futureshop. So if you find for some reason your not happy with it you can return or exchange it without penalty.

Kringle1
Dr.D
Premium Member
Pierrefonds, QC

Kringle1 to DACC

Premium Member

to DACC
Maybe you want to look into getting the SpeedStream 6300 from Sympatico. That way you'll get full support from Sympatico and also a ton of help in this forum. You can get the modem/router/wireless all in one package and might even be able to wrangle a deal from them in exchange for a contract or something. You can start your research in the FAQ: 2.2 SpeedStream 6300
cybersnow

cybersnow to DACC

to DACC

Re: Netgear MR814V2 Speedstream 5200

sympatico won't let you exange your modem because it's not broken... I think that Linksys aren't working very well with PPPOE. Netgear is a very good product. You should just change the model number for the "Netgear FR114P".

DACC
@sympatico.ca

DACC to Kringle1

Anon

to Kringle1

Re: Netgear MR814V2 - not a bargain at any price.

Thanks for all the useful feedback and ideas K.
I will look into the 6300.
DACC

DACC to cybersnow

Anon

to cybersnow

Re: Netgear MR814V2 Speedstream 5200

Have not yet checked into it but I do believe you can upgrade to the 6300, it costs as it gives you wireless too. So no, they won't just do a straight swap to the 6300 even if the 5200 was broken. Over the years, however, I have become a fairly accomplished whiner and complainer when it comes to suppliers that are taking my money, so who knows what deal I may be able to get
And I have been using a Linksys wired router for years and have had no problems with PPPOE.
People have problems will all kinds of brands, you just have to read the forums to see that. I had no problems with Netgear until this point, but I think I will give the brand a rest for a while, as far as wireless routers go.
decx
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

1 recommendation

decx

Premium Member

The problem with the 6300 is that with the Bell firmware it is functionally crippled and does not have the firewall features available. Plus it cost $70 to upgrade for a router/modem which in the end still does not belong to you. For that price you can get a decent wireless router with firewall functionality which you actually own.
bobokiki
join:2004-02-04
Montreal, QC

bobokiki to DACC

to DACC
DACC, any updates?

I've been wrestling with the exact same problem with the exact same router-modem combo. (my 3-year-old SMC works great)

So it's time to return the Netgear and get a ... um ... whatever you got.

Thanks!