Dr.D
Premium Member
join:2004-02-27
Pierrefonds, QC

Kringle1 to DACC

Premium Member

to DACC

Re: Netgear MR814V2 Speedstream 5200

If you are able to use the router at work with the Alcatel that means that the router is capable of doing the job. To me, that's a given. If the router couldn't do the job under certain circumstances, the router simply wouldn't be on the market.

You are neglecting the other variable in the equation - the DSL connection (line) itself. There may be fewer problems with the line at work and you are, therefore, not getting into the problem situation.

All I can see as a reasonable test is the following (assuming you can temporarily exchange your SpeedStream for the Alcatel at work): Borrow the Alcatel for a night and try it out at home to see if there's a difference. Does the problem follow the modem or not?

If you can't get the Alcatel from work, scout around and see if any of your friends have one you can borrow or even pick one up on e-Bay for cheap. It's a great modem for basic DSL.

Disclaimer: I don't own, or have access to, a Netgear MR814V2 so I can't really help with the configuration or other quirks that are built into that router.

DACC
@216.94.x.x

DACC

Anon

I doubt it is a line issue as I have been using the set up with my linksys wired router and the same 5200 modem for over a year with no problems. Now I have removed the Netgear router, everything is working fine again. So it must be something specific to the Netgear, Speedstream combination. This weekend I will be trying the Alcatel + Netgear combination at home and see how it goes. After that, I'll chuck the Netgear router into the bin and go buy a different brand of wireless router.

Kringle1
Dr.D
Premium Member
join:2004-02-27
Pierrefonds, QC

Kringle1

Premium Member

You might be able to find a D-Link DI-604 (make sure it's hardware Rev. E) really cheap ($20-$30CDN) with a little bit of searching. All five of the 604s I have running are very satisfactory.