how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Krellan

join:2001-06-06
Castro Valley, CA

DSL goes down at same time every night

I know this problem is common, and am aware of this. I have done all the standard checks (turn off dimmer lights, check the wiring, etc.) but it still happens.

My DSL reliably goes down at sometime between midnight and 12:30 AM, each night! It has been doing this for the last two nights now.

Usually, it's back up by dawn. But this time, it stayed down until noon, at which point I turned the modem off and on again. To my surprise, it came back up! Normally it doesn't do this: turning off and on the modem doesn't fix the problem (it just resyncs but no packets flow). But this time, it definitely made an effect and returned the line to operation.

I can't depend on this, though -- I'm not sure if the problem is with the modem (connection resyncs and packets flow when power cycled), or with the DSL server equipment (connection resyncs but packets do not flow). I know it's not with the connection or DSL line itself, because the modem resyncs perfectly in under two minutes every time.

PacBell told me that they moved my line to a different router/DSLAM this weekend. It did fix things and start packets flowing again, but I'm afraid the same thing is starting to happen again.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot this?
Thanks!

sixdog

join:2001-02-06
Washington, DC
I have a similar situation here.
Because of the nature of my profession I do a lot of research on-line everyday from mid-afternoon (says around 3 or 4pm) until early morning around 4am.
Every day like clock-work at around mid-night latency starts to increase. By 2am in the morning, ping time will be way way up to an average of 300 - 400ms.
At first, thinking may be because I have been surfing for several hours already so I tried power-cycling the modem, emptying all caches, rebooting etc. But none of these work. Now I don't even bother.
Occasionally, the line will go down completely --- meaning can't connect at all even though I have got syn. and no server is found. And ALL these outages I have experienced with also occur at around 2 - 3am every time it occurred.
Don't know why.
ASI has tested the line numerous times and says the line is fine.
2 - 3AM seem to be "magic" hours.

System
reply to Krellan
It is fairly common for business to do their backups during off-peak hours (meaning, when noone is at the company, and they don't care if the connection is slow). With this in mind, how could this affect your dsl? Well, if you have a T1 or even ISDN line in the area, the added noise could cause a problem whith all that activity going on. So, what I would do is suggest asi look into that, the other thing would be to grab ping plotter and send the results to woofus.

Skipdawg
The Original
Premium,ExMod 2001-03
join:2001-04-19
Mount Vernon, WA
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
reply to Krellan
Try running a Line Quality test about the time this starts and see what shows up in the results. If it looks suspicious post the test to the Tools forum for someone to look at and suggest a solution. Good luck.
--
*"Problems are only solutions waiting to be discovered"*

ksuki

join:1999-10-28
Pomona, CA
reply to sixdog
Sixdog -
A missing piece of info here is where you are pinging that the average goes up so high. Is it one specific area, location, site or server out on the net or is it somewhere near on your circuit, like one of the ASI/PBI routers where it affects reaching any site?

Ken

sixdog

Washington, DC
Hi ksuki,

I mostly just ping to various sites that I usually visit.
I'm in Los Angeles, so where should I ping to to get a more accurate picture of the problem?

ksuki

Pomona, CA
A better tool would be to use traceroute instead of ping - this would show you where the ping times go up. If the traceroute shows high pings to your DSL gateway, then it's something you should report - look into running Pingplotter or something similar (I use VisualPulse) to show PBI/ASI what's happening and when. However, if it's something out on the backbone or at the destination end, you can still report it, but there's not much ASI/PBI can do about it other then notify whoever is responsible for that problematic hop.

BTW, this is in reference to degraded performance; the occasional loss of synch problem is something I can't help with.

Ken

sixdog

Washington, DC
Thanks ksuki,

Will d/l and run the ping plotter as soon as I have the time to.

System
reply to ksuki
actually, if you're concerned with it being the circuit... just do pings to your redback. If you're not certain of what that ip is, run an external tracert to whichever ip you've currently pulled. The last thing it hits before hitting your computer is your redback (unless of course you're on a lan). That ip will always be the same, regardless of which ip you're pulling. This won't narrow the problem down too much, however it is a start. If the problem is in that first hop, there are still a lot of things that could be the problem, however its a start.

ksuki

Pomona, CA
I'll differ slightly - although it's nice to know, knowing which redback you're on isn't going to help fix or diagnose an accessibility problem until you determine if the problem lies within an area PBI controls or can influence and finding out if that information even applies. I've been on rback4 in LSAN03 for as long as I can remember, but I've never been asked for that information nor has it played any part in diagnosing where lags or packet loss were occurring.

Ken

Ranma
Premium
join:2001-04-28
Houston, TX
reply to sixdog
sixdog, I would ask for a supervisor to get involved with your case or see if you can get an executive complaint sent up. I think the EPC can transfer you to executive complaint if it's still operational.
--
need a desktop support or tier 1 helpdesk tech job in a corp atmosphere in DFW, Austin, or Houston? Please let me know if you know a place hiring for people with only a year's experience.

Krellan

join:2001-06-06
Castro Valley, CA
reply to Anon
I ping the gateway PacBell assigned to me. I also attempt to ping the Redback.

Strange how it only shows up on a reverse traceroute done from an external site to me! When I try a forward traceroute from my own machine, I can't see the Redback at all.

It's rback9-fe2-0.sntc01.pbi.net (63.203.35.78).

Between it and the gateway PacBell assigned to me, the delay is pretty much zero. The Redback shows up as only 1 hop away, when I ping it directly. Usually the connectivity to the entire Internet works, or it doesn't -- it's not a symptom of certain sites being slow at all. There's no problem in PacBell's infrastructure for me, usually, other than the "last mile" that is my DSL line.

I have a Westell WireSpeed modem. I really wish I could ask it what frequencies it's getting and how strong they are, to plot a graph of interference, like some other modems I've seen. Does PacBell support any better modems? I don't want to just go out and buy a better modem on my own, as that would give PacBell scriptreaders the easy excuse "you're using a modem we don't support so it's your fault".

About running a Line Test at around this time: I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. If it's a test ran from DSLReports or another Internet site, I can't get online to do it. If it's a test ran by PacBell, this is late at night and they're closed!

System
reply to Krellan
In my old DSL installation I had this exact same problem. At 7pm, my DSL would just die, start loosing sync, become slow etc. I spent countless hours on the phone with ASI, PBI, etc. No one could figure out what was going on. I eventually just didn't get on line during that time, and I learned to shut the modem off when I left home.

Well, when my DSL was cancelled (a snafu on PacBell's part), and then I was reconnected, I had NO problems with the DSL anymore. The only difference? I was now capped at 768. I was one of the first DSL subscribers, and at the time, I got one static, and was uncapped. I guess they learned that when you are using over 90% of the line, you will run into problems. I guess at night when all the lights came on, etc. It ran into problems.