spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Need BB
join:2001-12-21
New York, NY

Need BB

Ipod Mini Won't Charge

Well the battery went dead and they i plugged it into the charger but it won't charge. Am I doing something wrong? This is my 2nd one with the same problem!

cavemonkey50
Monkey Madness
Premium Member
join:2003-11-22
Allentown, PA

cavemonkey50

Premium Member

From what I understand you're not suppose to let the battery die. The Ipod needs a constant charge of electricity to keep the hard drive spinning. It really never turns off, it just sleeps. Maybe that's what you're doing wrong.
93388818 (banned)
It's cool, I'm takin it back
join:2000-03-14
Dallas, TX

93388818 (banned) to Need BB

to Need BB
if that's true, then that sucks!

rjackson

join:2002-04-02
Ringgold, GA
Netgear R6400
Switches Trash Bin
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

rjackson to cavemonkey50

to cavemonkey50
said by cavemonkey50:

From what I understand you're not suppose to let the battery die. The Ipod needs a constant charge of electricity to keep the hard drive spinning. It really never turns off, it just sleeps. Maybe that's what you're doing wrong.
Actually it's recommended you do a full discharge once per month. »www.apple.com/batteries/ ··· ods.html

cavemonkey50
Monkey Madness
Premium Member
join:2003-11-22
Allentown, PA

cavemonkey50

Premium Member

No, that talks about going through a charge equal to 100%. For example today you do a charge of 50%. Then next week you do a charge of 25% and the following day another 25%. That's one charge cycle. Charging it 100%.

JoshNJ
Premium Member
join:2001-12-25
Freehold, NJ

JoshNJ to cavemonkey50

Premium Member

to cavemonkey50
said by cavemonkey50:

From what I understand you're not suppose to let the battery die.
That is silly, I have had my bettery drain all the way plenty of times with no problem.

Need BB
join:2001-12-21
New York, NY

Need BB

Well when I plug it in nothing happens. The screen stays blank.

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium Member
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA

bobrk

Premium Member

How long did you wait? Sometimes it takes a while to come up.

You might also take it to the Apple Store and show it to the Guru--they might give you a new one.

JoshNJ
Premium Member
join:2001-12-25
Freehold, NJ

JoshNJ

Premium Member

try resetting it, press play and menu at the same time

fire100
Premium Member
join:2001-11-21
Twin Lake, MI

fire100

Premium Member

said by JoshNJ:

try resetting it, press play and menu at the same time
I have to do that to mine several times a week, as I don't listen to it everyday.

I also find that switching the hold button back and forth, while holding down the play button turns it back on.
homers0
join:2002-02-05
Santa Clarita, CA

homers0 to Need BB

to Need BB
why assume the battery went dead (on 2 IPODs)?

The IPOD needs a reset. You won't lose any data on it either.

druvak
@bb.online.no

1 recommendation

druvak to Need BB

Anon

to Need BB
The same thing happened to me. I kept wondering why it wouldn't charge, but then realised it needed a reset.

On your ipod mini, toggle the hold button (turn it on and then turn it off), then hold the Menu and the select button (top part of the click wheel and the center button) for about 10 seconds.

The Apple logo should appear and your ipod will start charging.

Good luck!

mochi
@snfccasy.dynamic.cov

mochi

Anon

Thanks for the great advise druvak. I was having the same problem and tried your tip and now it works!
cactustree
join:2004-11-15
Brooklyn, NY

cactustree to druvak

to druvak
i can't thank you enough for that tip -- i was ready to throw the whole thing out and waste $299 on a new iPod. this works!! i'm very grateful!
MikeCDN
join:2004-08-04
Langley, BC

MikeCDN to Need BB

to Need BB
Thnk you so much for the info on reset, I was ready to return mine, any idea why that happens? I went to use it today, and relized the bat was almost drained, went to work plugged it into my comp to charge, and it didn't turn on.

Was it becuase i let the battery get to low?

Andy B
@in-addr.btopenworld.

Andy B to druvak

Anon

to druvak
That's superb - I was having exactly the same problem, and resetting it sorted it out totally....

bediviere
@comcast.net

bediviere to druvak

Anon

to druvak
I also wanted to thank you for your great tip! Mine was almost fully charged, so I don't have any idea why it needed reset, but it works great again now. Thanks again!

Steve

DeeC
Premium Member
join:2000-09-01
the world

DeeC to Need BB

Premium Member

to Need BB
I wonder how many iPODs will go back to stores (this Christmas) because no one even tries to reset them?

victorscottish
@206.48.x.x

victorscottish to druvak

Anon

to druvak
very good advice! I was ready to fly back to Miami to get a new one!! (I live in Cayman) I was going mad...thanks again--------------------

ASSS
@oek.dk

ASSS to Need BB

Anon

to Need BB
Yeah thx man!
Expand your moderator at work
Taiguy
join:2004-02-14
Yorktown, VA

Taiguy to Need BB

to Need BB

Re: Ipod Mini Won't Charge

Yea, I had the same problem today actually. I was listening to my iPod while doing some grocery shopping, and paused it while checking out, and then when I tried to play again, nothing happened. I took it out of my jacket pocket and the screen was dead. Got kinda scared after nothing happened after hooking it up to the power adapter. At first I was going to attribute it to me tooling around with the firmware, but that seemed illogical since it had worked flawlessly for some time. A simple reset works wonders. If the rest doesn't do anything, then you panic:p

Hayley
@cust37.vic.dsl.ozema

Hayley to druvak

Anon

to druvak
Thanks druvak. I was freaking out too. This seems to be a design fault, as like so many others on the forum I had done nothing that should warrant a reset. Hopefully Apple will sort this out for newer models.

skiboy
@express-scripts.com

skiboy to druvak

Anon

to druvak
Thanks! that fixed me up

potunka
@14.xx.15.evrtwa1.dsl

potunka to Need BB

Anon

to Need BB
THANKS DRUVAK!
Made it possible to save my wife's little beastie from service. I had tried every combination possible (I thought)... being a troubleshooter.
You are the (insert gender here).

pGagnon
@rr.com

pGagnon to Need BB

Anon

to Need BB
Thanks Druvak!!!!!! They should include this in the owners manual or something. Thanks again!!!

jonvs
@telus.net

jonvs to Need BB

Anon

to Need BB
Thanks, Druvak! You're a lifesaver. My iPod mini was under warranty, but still, you saved me the hassle. Thanks a million.

cynicalgirl
@ny5030.east.verizon.

cynicalgirl to druvak

Anon

to druvak
just echoing everyone's thanks on the reset tip. saved me time and frustration.

DeeC
Premium Member
join:2000-09-01
the world

DeeC to Need BB

Premium Member

to Need BB
they almost need to put a warning label on all the ipods -- telling the user to "reset" if failed to recharge or freezing
King75
King Of All And Nothing
Premium Member
join:2004-07-31
Stevensville, MD

King75 to Taiguy

Premium Member

to Taiguy
You mean like me now. I did the reset. I did the toggle. I did the toggle play. I did the toggle menu. I did it all. And now nothing.