uniqs
share rss forum feed
Expand your moderator at work

Taiguy

join:2004-02-14
Yorktown, VA
reply to Need BB

Re: Ipod Mini Won't Charge

Yea, I had the same problem today actually. I was listening to my iPod while doing some grocery shopping, and paused it while checking out, and then when I tried to play again, nothing happened. I took it out of my jacket pocket and the screen was dead. Got kinda scared after nothing happened after hooking it up to the power adapter. At first I was going to attribute it to me tooling around with the firmware, but that seemed illogical since it had worked flawlessly for some time. A simple reset works wonders. If the rest doesn't do anything, then you panic:p

Hayley

@cust37.vic.dsl.ozema
reply to druvak

Thanks druvak. I was freaking out too. This seems to be a design fault, as like so many others on the forum I had done nothing that should warrant a reset. Hopefully Apple will sort this out for newer models.

skiboy

@express-scripts.com
reply to druvak

Thanks! that fixed me up

potunka

@14.xx.15.evrtwa1.dsl
reply to Need BB

THANKS DRUVAK!
Made it possible to save my wife's little beastie from service. I had tried every combination possible (I thought)... being a troubleshooter.
You are the (insert gender here).

pGagnon

@rr.com
reply to Need BB

Thanks Druvak!!!!!! They should include this in the owners manual or something. Thanks again!!!

jonvs

@telus.net
reply to Need BB

Thanks, Druvak! You're a lifesaver. My iPod mini was under warranty, but still, you saved me the hassle. Thanks a million.

cynicalgirl

@ny5030.east.verizon.
reply to druvak

just echoing everyone's thanks on the reset tip. saved me time and frustration.

DeeC
Premium
join:2000-09-01
the world
kudos:1
reply to Need BB

they almost need to put a warning label on all the ipods -- telling the user to "reset" if failed to recharge or freezing

King75
King Of All And Nothing
Premium
join:2004-07-31
Stevensville, MD
reply to Taiguy

You mean like me now. I did the reset. I did the toggle. I did the toggle play. I did the toggle menu. I did it all. And now nothing.

MorganH

@202.172.x.x
reply to druvak

Excellent advice ! Brilliant I must say.

jacey

@callplus.net.nz
reply to Need BB

Awesome great work!

Kbloom

@cable.ubr11.live.blu
reply to Need BB

Thankyouuuuuu!! I was panicking soooo much I only just got it off my mum + dad for christmas and it wouldn't charge. lol. i was so worried. thanks!

Prusten

@rr.com
reply to druvak

perfect!!!! thanks!

LiquidSnakeRNA

@sprint-hsd.net
reply to Need BB

Wow thanks! I was panicking. I had just got my ipod and let it run dead. Then it wouldn't charge! Reset really works. Apple should include that on their site or manuals, or something!

rjackson
Premium,VIP,MVM,Ex-Mod 2005-13
join:2002-04-02
Ringgold, GA

said by LiquidSnakeRNA:

Apple should include that on their site or manuals, or something!
It's listed on the iPod Support Page Basics: Resetting iPod if it appears frozen or doesn't respond

JoshNJ
Premium
join:2001-12-25
Freehold, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to LiquidSnakeRNA

said by LiquidSnakeRNA:

Apple should include that on their manuals
It is in the manual.
--
I support the RIAA

DeeC
Premium
join:2000-09-01
the world

1 edit

said by JoshNJ:

said by LiquidSnakeRNA:

Apple should include that on their manuals
It is in the manual.
LOL No one (apparently), reads the manual (RTFM)
--

"Long-winded diatribes are not necessary for one-liner comments (regardless of THE POINT). Something some will never get."

muchos

@cable.ubr08.azte.blu
reply to Need BB

Thanks so much for that tip reset tip, had exact same issue and now its charging fine!

jdimarti

join:2005-03-23
Manlius, NY
reply to JoshNJ

Thanks so much for this tip. I read that routinely discharging and fully recharging was good for the battery (a practice I'm familiar with for other appliances).

So I let it run down, but my mini was dead as a doornail even after an overnight charge. I Googled and came across this forum and your answer. It works fine now. Thank you again.

whannagan

@tpgi.com.au
reply to Need BB

iPod mini Won't Turn On

My iPod mini wouldn't charge or even turn on!!!
But a quick reset and YAY!!!
IT WORKS!!!
Thanks Guys!!!

Gillyanne

@range81-129.btcentra
reply to druvak

Just came across your posting and tried the advice. It worked first time. Thanks very very much!!!!

dave tave

@pol.co.uk

it doesnt always work.i read that in the book but when mine went off i tried resetting it but it never worked :S

bloopt

@dsl.chcgil.ameritech
reply to Need BB

Sometimes it takes a few tries to reset it.
For some reason, today I had to do the reset-button thing about ten times before it worked. And... I had to hold down "menu" and the center button for ten seconds. ...Not menu & play.
Hope this helps... don't give up if you can't reset it on the first try!

Dantooine

@sympatico.ca
reply to Need BB

New problem; ipod won't turn off

I hold down the pause button and it turns off for a second and then displays the battery charged screen and this stays on until the battery dies. This is while it's disconnected from the computer. It turned off fine for about a week and then this started happening. I just can't get it to stay off. Also my computer does nothing when I connect it. I did a reset already, I don't know what else to try.

Katla

@bellsouth.net
reply to Need BB

If you don't have a charger, does the Ipod charge when you plug it into you computer, using a USB chord?

C-J-

@83.71.x.x
reply to druvak

cheers!! mine was acting up aswell and i couldn't find the manual - i was freaking out coz i thought it was broken!! but i tried what u said and it helped!! THANKS!!!:D:D:D;);)

ZOG321
Premium
join:2003-10-22
Slingerlands, NY
reply to Need BB

WOW! A lot of unregistered people. This post must be on Google or something?

reply to Need BB

YOU SAVED ME. I LOVE YOU.

I had tried resetting it many times before I read the post. I was doing it right and everything- for some reason it took like 8 attempted resets to get the mini to work. Your post made me make that one last try! lol.

This is pretty poor, that Apple could have such a huge design flaw in such an expensive mp3 player. Couldn't a firmware update by Apple fix the problem.

Oh well... no matter... thanx again for the push to reset it once more.:D

koolman2
Premium
join:2002-10-01
Anchorage, AK
reply to cavemonkey50

said by cavemonkey50:

The Ipod needs a constant charge of electricity to keep the hard drive spinning. It really never turns off, it just sleeps.
Absolute bologna. Listen to an iPod next to you ear on the back, and play a song with no headphones in. You'll hear the disk spin up. Now turn the iPod off- you'll hear the power be cut from the disk.
--
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.