uniqs
share rss forum feed

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL

[Cable] IN-BAND Status and 00B Status what are good values

I have a new HDTV and a new Comcast DVR.
On infrequent intervals some HD premium channels pause, pixelate and then resume. I'm wondering if this might be indicative of a weak signal to the DVR.
So I found the "Select" Menu and jotted down a few values I have no clue what they mean or even if they are related to HDTV. If anyone could decipher what they mean and if they have any bearing on my VIDEO performance I would be appreciative.
Here they are:

00B STATUS
00B FREQ 75.25 Mhz
CARRIER LOCK YES
DATA YES
EMM DATA YES
SNR 22.2 dB GOOD
AGC 23% GOOD
EMM PROVIDER 0x0003
EMM PID 0x1504
NETWORK PID 0x0777

IN-BAND STATUS
Mode 256 QAM
CARRIER LOCK YES
DATA YES
SNR 32.7 dB FAIR
AGC 79% POOR
5 SEC ERROR COUNTS
UNCORRECTABLE 0000
CORRECTABLE 0000
--
I am Dyslexic of Borg. Fusistance is retile. Your ass will be laminated.

MrBeetle9

join:2004-02-01
Madison, WI

Re: [Cable] IN-BAND Status and 00B Status what are

First off - ignore the OOB data - this is simply the guide/etc data and is irrelevent.

For the inband data, you must be ON the channel you want to read, then you care about the error count, SNR, and AGC.

SNR = Signal to Noise ratio (Higher = Better, this is a measure of how clean of a signal you are getting)
AGC = Automatic Gain Control (Lower = Better, this is a measure of how much signal you are getting)

Error Counts - Self explanitory. I don't notice any issues as long as correctables stay below 1000 or so. Uncorrectables should be 0 at all times.

That being said - your signals are a bit off. You may want to rearrange a bit in your basement to give your box a more direct signal. If you have modem service as well, I usually put an unbalanced 3-way - the 2 7.5 legs feeding HD/Modem, and the 3.5 leg feeding the rest of the sets.

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL

Thanks much.
I did some more spot checks on various channels and all the HD channels were 256 QAM SNR FAIR AGC POOR with no UNCORRECTABLE but anywhere from 0 to 500 CORRECTABLE 5 SECOND errors.
On the SD channels they were all 64 QAM AGC GOOD SNR GOOD with no errors.
I currently have two TVs and HSI and a Comcast 3way splitter at the building entry point in the basement.
I have a direct run to the Cable Modem off the 3.5 tap and a direct run to each of the TVs from the two 7.5 taps. No additional splitters.

I had the HSI Cable modem off a 7.5 tap (through ignorance) and it had a high upstream power level (54 db) so I moved it to the 3.5 and it dropped to a more acceptable 49 db. For this reason I hesitate doing anything with the 3.5 db splitter tap.

Should Comcast be able to do anything to increase the HD signal levels?

J
--
I am Dyslexic of Borg. Fusistance is retile. Your ass will be laminated.