how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Bandito

join:2003-01-23
reply to will2k

Re: BT slowdowns?

I dont think Shaw has anything to do with this one. At my girlfriend's place she's got Shaw and at my place DSL. Both very slow, but Shaw is a bit slower overall.

Ixsys

@24.86.x.x
reply to will2k
Update - 4:20AM PST

Speed Test Results: »/speedtests/48···99397916

BT Status:
10Kb Down
7Kb Up

This is unacceptable, especially since I paid my bill not more than 3 days ago.

SyS

olivecougar

join:2004-07-16
reply to will2k
Same problem here in Toronto... with Rogers Extreme.

The funny think is the download doesn't really seem to be affected however, my upload has gone down the crapper. On torrents where i could easily up at 75KB/s... i can barely do 15 now.

I have no clue as to whats going on... but it's definitely a BT isolated issue... All speed tests i've conducted don't report anything other than the usual 4700+ down and 790+ up.

Any ideas?

-=OC=-

pixeyness

join:2003-09-06
Richmond, BC
reply to will2k
i am in marpole, in vancouver just got a router for hardware firewall and thought that was the problem. I'm on extreme internet and bt d/l are taking literally days. And they stay yellow faces. wtf?

will2k

join:2004-11-01
Vancouver, BC
reply to will2k
having a router should have no problem downloading if you opened up the right ports.

So has anyone tried calling shaw and seeing whatsup?
If they are starting to block BT, i rather just cancel and switch to telus. Dont want to pay 45 bucks a month when I cant get the stuff I want.

hesty

join:2001-09-16
Vancouver, BC
reply to will2k
Has anyone talked to Shaw's Tech support and get the official party line on the issue? I can't because I'm using 3web. If it is indeed intentional choke on BT, I'm gonna bolt to Telus in no time.

WRX888

join:2004-11-02
Vancouver, BC
reply to will2k
Ditto on the BT slowdowns. This all started since their upgrade/maintenance on Oct.28.

quote:
"As part of Shaws ongoing commitment to provide our customers with the best possible service, we will be performing maintenance and/or network upgrades in your area on October 28th, 2004 between 2:00AM and 6:00AM local time."
I'm on the regular highspeed using a Motorola SB5100 DOCSIS modem and I'm just a bit west of Champlain Mall area. And it only affects BT, I just hit windowsupdate and grabbed like 7 updates (about 20Megs) at 370kBytes/s steady speed. My BT u/ls never exceed 10kB/s now, so my BT d/ls also suck. I think a call to their support line is in order. Gotta dig out my wired phone now cause last time I had to call tech support, the battery in my cordless phone died just as someone finally picked up.

ogami

join:2004-01-25
Vancouver, BC
reply to will2k
Change the ports does help the download (back to green faces) but the upload is very bad... the speed is no more than 5kB/s

Some-1

@telus.net
reply to will2k
so which ports are we supposed to open now in order to increase the speed??

silverpig1

join:2002-01-17
I've noticed the same thing. Kerrisdale with xtreme here.

My speeds on tests are usually decent (2.5 Mbps down, 950 kbps up during the day... 4.7 down 950 up in the evening), but my BT speeds are horrible. I used to be able to get my full 625 kB/s down and 125 kB/s up if I found torrents capable of that. Now I'm lucky to get 60 down and 10 up.

I've tried:
using linux instead of windows
switching ports
bypassing the router and hooking the net straight up to my comp... again varying ports
switching bt clients
using a variety of different trackers

Nothing changes.

silverpig1

reply to will2k
Oh, and what's more, my friend in kitsilano with shaw regular high speed has no problems with BT at all. Seems very selective.

KitsAffected

@shawcable.net
I'm using Xtreme and I live in the Kitsilano area. My BTs are still really slow (ever since Oct. 30th). I've tried using different clients as well, but I still have the same problem. I've asked Shaw about this and they said "There is no factor on the network which should cause a problem with BitTorrent, and Shaw has certainly not imposed limits on P2P file sharing."

xsmirage

join:2004-10-16
West Vancouver, BC
reply to will2k
If it's not Shaw - Which I take with a pinch of salt. Then what could it be?

Whatever they did this weekend to make things "better" has crippled (and this is an appropriate use of the word too) many hundreds of peoples connections.

If this isn't fixed by the time i get back from swimming @ 11PM - I'm going to call Shaw and raise hell.

SyS

silverpig1

reply to KitsAffected
Well it HAS to be something with shaw. This many people having the exact same problem at the same time is too much of a coincidence for it to be anything else.

KitsAffected

@shawcable.net
I agree it has to be something with Shaw. But as we all know they'll do everything they can to blame it on something else. The person who responded to me when I asked Shaw tried to blame it on SP2. He completely ignored the fact that I told him the problem started on the 30th of October when I had been using SP2 just fine for months. What we need is to get everyone who is experiencing the BT slowdowns to call Shaw.

MustardMan

join:2003-05-22
Sealand
reply to will2k
I DEFINITELY noticed a slowdown on BT this past weekend here in Kelowna on Shaw.
»Shaw slow as molasses today!

Very unusual for me to experience ANY slowdowns around here. Same as others have described, webpages seem to popup as usual but BT downloads VERY slow. It seemed to pickup around Sunday or Monday. I haven't tried it today.

xsmirage

West Vancouver, BC
reply to will2k
So what I've gathered so far is:

- This has nothing to do with physical location
- It started within 24 hours of Oct 30th 2004.
- It's cross platform & Cross client
- While Web surfing remains unaffected, BT is CRIPPLED
- There are simply too many of us to dismiss as a random occurrence.

- The ONE common denominator here is SHAW, and the "WORK" they did over the weekend.

I vote we all call shaw, when you speak to whomever is on the other end of the phone politely ask them for their NAME, Customer Service ID / # (Write this down!), the time of your call. Explain our problem, but please try and hold back the rage - I'm about ready to pop too, but it won't solve anything.

Comments, Opinions, Thoughts, and Actions are all welcome!

SyS

will2k

Vancouver, BC
reply to will2k
ive called them earlier and told them the situation, and all he did is tell me to do some silly steps liek downloading from the shaw server, which I hit about 600k, but thats not the point and I said the web works fine but BT does not, then he blabbers on saying that BT is a p2p program and it depends on the other people connection, our servers run fine (600K) as you can see.

Basically its all BS, I keep telling them and he keeps on saying the same shit, I gave up and hung up the phone. I guessi m not that convincing. I think someone else should call them up and see wtf is going on!

Bandito

join:2003-01-23
reply to will2k
Another Doh! I thought BT is also part of EDonkey. Anyhow, what's the most common BT site y'all are trying to access? I will try to access it from DSL connection and let y'all know what's up with BT.

xsmirage

West Vancouver, BC
reply to will2k
That's kind of you, but we're talking about the acutal Torrent Protcol in terms of speed UP/Down not a static site.

If you're interested in learning more search "Bit-Torrent" on google. I think the site is bit-conjuror.net or something. That'll tell you the basics.

We do actually KNOW if it's the torrent or the connection. I tried to download "The Village Screener" from a very prolific torrent site. Just so there'd be like 250+ Seeds etc - torrent total speed was in excess of 8-900kbps. I was pulling a very very fast 3.4kbps. So I'm fairly sure it was the connection, not the torrent itself.

Cheers

SyS

silverpig1

reply to will2k
Oh it's definitely not the site. I've been trying torrents from sites I previously got 550 kB/s down and 120 kB/s up easily and every time before and now I get HORRIBLE rates. Both up and down, and it doesn't matter which tracker I connect to.

TortillaMan

@shawcable.net
reply to will2k
Vancouver,Shaughnessy here

My download speed remains the same in BT, no spikes or descrease in download speed. But my upload speed is crap to the p2p networks, i will get 1 kbs upload then to 500b/s...then to 0. Same thing happening on the DC++ networks.

I got Telus on speed dial.

ShaughnessyGuy

@shawcable.net
reply to will2k
Man, from all the complaints about Shaw in here, one would think that they would actually grab a brain and clue in on this issue. They are, again as always, too quick to jump the gun and blame the problems that users are experiencing on something else. Well, I know I'll be keeping their phone lines busy.

Vancouver, Shaughnessy, here as well too. I'm experiencing download and upload spikes in BT. Bandwidth tests have shown that my connection is pretty ok, but attempts at downloading using numerous BT clients have shown otherwise. Even though it says I'm connected to ~100 peers and ~30 seeds, my dl/ul rates still suck ass.
My ul doesn't even match the rate I set it at anymore. Usually (before the 30th) if I set my max ul rate at say 30kB/s, it'd hit that rate within 10s, but now it just stays at around ~3kB/s. -_-

Wake up Shaw... wake up.

silverpig1

reply to will2k
I think they HAVE woken up is the thing. Don't ask me how, but it seems as though they've found a way to kill BT. The rest of the internet is fast to me, but connecting to peers just doesn't do anything. Shaw probably realizes that programs like BT are responsible for the majority of their bandwidth usage and they did something about it.

I wish we had more than just telus and shaw here though. I'd probably pay $100 a month for a FAST fibre internet connection with no restrictions. Like 10/2 or something.

Galara

@shawcable.net
reply to will2k
Still don't know yet that they really have found a way to kill BT...
Last day when I was downloading stuff with my friend from the same torrent, the speed could reach up like both 80kbps down and upload stably, and my friend is living in Vancouver also.
It's means BT speed still can be really fast if peers are in Vancouver and surrounding area.

OrionZero

reply to will2k
Is this happending just to i-extreme subscriber or to regular high speed as well?

I personally have i-extreme in Richmond, and BT have been SLOOOOW..:(

silverpig1

reply to will2k
Seems to be mostly xtreme.

My friend in kits on regular has been getting much better than advertised (almost xtreme) speeds in the past few days. However, another friend on regular in N.Van has been getting worse speeds in the past few days on BT.

silverpig1

reply to will2k
Hmmm, someone on xtreme should try switching back to normal to see if it makes a difference at all...

ScoonerNS

join:2002-04-23
Calgary, AB
Im here in Sydney, Nova Scotia and I have noticed my BTorrents slow to a crawl also, same with friends on the same ISP, i know I am cross country, just find it strange happening here too. I usually get very fast speeds, i have tried testing on a number of clients and configurations, still the same result. My ISP is Eastlink HSI, Always in the top 10-15 fastest isp's on dslreports. FTP/HTTP/other P2P downloads are all still flying.

will2k

Vancouver, BC
reply to will2k
anyone tried calling yet?
any news?