uniqs
share rss forum feed

komal

join:2003-02-16
reply to nizon

Re: BT slowdowns?

said by nizon:

I've seen cisco routers that go for upwards of $100k USD
Tearing up streets and burying fiber costs millions in permits, machine rentals, fuel, labour, etc.
This is why it's taking so long for communications firms to get fiber to our houses.
I don't think routers are what's needed, lines might need to be upgraded, but not replaced, I think they'd need switches more than routers.

shawsux2

join:2004-11-10
Surrey, BC
reply to will2k

i suggest everyone use azureus to dl bt now from my experience bitornado is very slow now because of shaw but azureus speeds can be good sometimes -.-

Gbz

join:2003-05-22
Vancouver, BC

1 edit
reply to will2k

I have not even been able to connect my pc to suprnova.org without first doing a tracert and then typing in the destination ip. They are most definately restricting where we can use our bandwidth. this has been happening for more than 15 days for me. I haven't had problems with any other area of my service. I think im going to cancel the extreme part of the non extreme service.

Oh and im on 13th near main...

Gbz

join:2003-05-22
Vancouver, BC

I just called shaw again and they are sending a tech to my house they say that there is actually a signal issue to my modem. Hopefully thats what is causing at least part of the issue. I never want to have to go through what i went through on WoW beta again when downloading something over BT.

Expand your moderator at work

Calgaryguy

join:2002-12-18
Calgary, AB
reply to Gbz

Re: BT slowdowns?

Dood if your not able to connect by names or some names, you may have a problem with your winsock, if your using any type of Windows OS. What happens when you try pinging www.supranova.org? Why would they block any HTTP sites, even if they are hosting torrent lists? To me it makes no sense, because it isn't using A - The same ports, B - The type of packet that BT sends out.

I'll tell you right now that I am able to get to supranova.org just fine.

comm3

join:2003-10-12
Burnaby, BC
reply to nizon

Well, since the fiber has already been laid, they only need to 'UPGRADE' their existing network. Just look at what they already have invested, these fiber purchases:

»www.shaw.ca/Tmplt2.asp?PageID=459
»www.shaw.ca/Tmplt2.asp?PageID=245
»www.findarticles.com/p/articles/···96863126
»www.angustel.ca/update/up214.htm···IBERLINK
»www.shawbigpipe.com/pdf/network_···bone.pdf

I found this pretty funny in my search for fiber related posts:

»www.techvibes.com/idealbb/view976.html

I highly doubt they would have to rip up the ground to lay new fiber when they already have created the facilities for their already massive fiber network.

When you own a Cable Company you always plan for expansion.

They have a license to print money, they're opening up operations in the east coast of Canada DUH!.

I just hope Bell opens its operation in BC a lot quicker, as they will be in direct competition with Telus and with Shaw for HSI.

-C

comm3

Burnaby, BC
reply to xaminmo

Finally someone that knows what they're talking about.

castronovab

@sprint-hsd.net
reply to will2k

Event 4226. Thats something Microsoft put in SP2 .It puts a limit on P2P applications. Event 4226 limits the max tcp connections u can recieve and/or send. B4 SP2 it was unlimited. With SP2 its 8 or 10. Some P2P programs tinker with it and make the value 50. Thats cool for most ppl, but nothing beats unlimited.

To see if you get Event 4226, (This method of finding it is for ppl with XP Home/Pro)
go to Start/Settings/Control Panel. Click on Admin. Tools. Click Event Viewer. Click on System. In the big column to the right, see if you can find Event 4226. if you dont find it, you OK. If you do find it, there are ways to change it.

Check this place out: »www.lvllord.de/

They created a lil program that changes the max concurrent connects from 8 or 10 to 16,777,214. And even tho the max value you can change it to is 16 million, in their eyes that the same as unlimited. Who gonna get 16 million ppl connected to them at the same time anyway? lol

TELUS

join:2004-02-16
TELUS

castronovab
RTFT

comm
Sympatico uses a different "system", no?

TELUS says they want to squeeze every drop out of copper before they move on, so will Bell use 360Networks in the GVRD?

xsmirage

join:2004-10-16
West Vancouver, BC

1 edit
reply to will2k

Click for full size
Well I'm a happy camper again. It's 3am and i'm getting:

560Kbps Down
90-100 Kbps Up (Not shown in pic but I'm looking at Azureus right now)

Oh, btw - these are all PUBLIC Trackers

XS

comm3

Burnaby, BC
reply to TELUS

I'm not too familiar with Bell/Sympatico's setup in the east, however it could be something similar to Telus.

Bell has many choices in the GVRD area, they can even use BigPipe or Telus existing fiber optics infrastructure.

There is something inside the Canada Telecommunications Regulations that doesn't allow Telecom company's in Canada to monopolize the area they're servicing.

In this case Telus and BigPipe would have to provide Bell/Sympatico its services at a rate that would allow them to compete with BigPipe/Telus in other markets.

This is what I have heard and read a little about it a long time ago. I'm going to try and find out if I can find any information online regarding this, or if someone else has it this readily available and they can post it that would be great!

-C

st7860

join:2004-05-13
San Francisco, CA
reply to Gbz

said by Gbz:

I have not even been able to connect my pc to suprnova.org without first doing a tracert and then typing in the destination ip. They are most definately restricting where we can use our bandwidth. this has been happening for more than 15 days for me. I haven't had problems with any other area of my service. I think im going to cancel the extreme part of the non extreme service.

Oh and im on 13th near main...
You can try these BT sites then. they are similar to the www.suprnova.org that you mentioned

»www.torrentbits.org
»fst.omnilounge.co.uk
»www.filelist.org

mastorione

join:2002-09-22
Richmond, BC
reply to will2k

I've noticed insane slowdowns on newsgroups b4 holloween, now its faster than ever. i'm sort of relieved and grieved @ the same time. Although i use bt, and occasionally p2p programs. I download from usenet almost all the time. So i guess u can't please everyone.

koml

@cc.umanitoba.ca

Really? I noticed that before or during the summer, the newsgroup speed were literally cut in half. I can't download from them at more than 150kB/s. Maybe I should start using multiple servers.

mastorione

join:2002-09-22
Richmond, BC

Yeah, i think they imposed a download cap per news server, i can't go past 150k/s on a server so i use binary news reaper to download from 3.

neuge
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Vancouver, BC
reply to will2k

Grr. My upload is still shite. Download speeds are great, but that doesn't help me at all when I have to upload a certain amount of that to keep my ability to download...

xsmirage, which trackers are you using? I'd like to try them to see if they work well for me, as well.

UserUser

@shawcable.net
reply to will2k

Hi All,

I think I am able to say with a great deal of certainty that Shaw is not shaping p2p traffic at this time.

They may, however, be shaping _all_ of a subscriber's traffic if that subscriber has a history of using a great deal of bandwidth over the norm. Though, of course, that is not for certain.

Nonetheless, we're all well aware that our speeds have sucked recently in the GVRD. Well, Shaw is aware of this and it is no surprise to them. They are currently in the process of upgrading the network in the entire GVRD, one neighbourhood at a time. This work began in October and likely will not be complete until December. Much of the slowdown is related to these upgrades. The upgrades include splitting nodes to decrease congestion, and installing new equipment at the head end. Over the last three days, for example, users in Kerrisdale in Vancouver and some areas of Surrey have been getting work done on their network.

Now, as to why I'm pretty sure that Shaw isn't going to be rate limiting any specific type of traffic anytime soon: legal reasons. It may be possible that some of these switches were installed somewhere, but I can assure you that now that word has gotten out, they are being removed as fast as possible. In fact, it would not surprise me to learn that the post on this forum by "ShawInsider" is true, but that the decision made by that one manager and one tech is now being reversed as fast as possible.

Remember a few months ago, several ISPs across Canada were sued by the CRIA? ISPs like Shaw want a very specific kind of status legally from the courts, especially now that they are going to be offereing VoIP in the new year. They want to be considered as common carriers, so that they are protected from liability associated with being a conduit for potentially criminal actions. You can't sue the phone company if someone plots a murder over the phone, right? Well, Shaw wants to make sure that they're not responsible if someone breaks the law using their network. And as far as copyright goes, it is imperative that Shaw maintain, as it has all along, that it does not care about what kind of data you transfer, and, even more, that it does not have the ability to block specific kinds of traffic. I'm sure Shaw's lawyers have screamed this to management several times over the last few days, as news has spread that Shaw was limiting p2p traffic. It is extremely bad for Shaw to have this kind of publicity, and you can be sure they will spend the money to upgrade capacity long before they limit any specific protocols, as doing so would demonstrate that they could be partly responsible for material which traverses their network. Trust me, this is a position that Shaw does not want to be in.

So, wait a little while. As Shaw completes work in the GVRD you should see an improvement in your connections.

Cheers,
UserUser

helphelp6

join:2004-11-11

Basically, i have two problem right now: Slow internet and slow BT.

i always wondering why my BT is so slow. Although my line only down max @ 90k and upload max @ 45k. Why i never seem BT hitting d/l OVER 30k and upload OVER 30k? Thus, i think bt slow problem is independent from my slow line problem. Even with my slow internet problem, i can still download around 90k from web or news server.

1. I have suffer slow half month already
2. I havd phoned shaw few times about my "slow" internet problem and they didn't say anything about "slow cause by upgrading" to me. If they do upgrading network, why they don't tell everyone the slow is cause by upgrading??
3. If i started to talk about BT problem, they just said its my computer problem or they don't support BT whatever.
4. Three lvl 2 tech had come to my house and still nothing got fixed
5. finally, i don't wanna "WAIT" anymore. I am PAYYING shaw everyday? WHY I DON'T GET THE SERVICE everyday? If shaw saying something like " ok, if you didn't get 3mbits down or 5 mbits down for extreme-i, i won't charge you" then i think i will wait.

ttodd0450

join:2001-12-12
Port Coquitlam, BC
reply to will2k

Ok what is BT ??

neuge
Premium
Vancouver, BC
reply to will2k

Interesting. Shaw called me today and told me that Xtreme-I is now 5 dollars cheaper (from $15/mo extra to $10/mo extra (I don't have cable TV)).

I just found this somewhat noteworthy. Maybe they realize that people will get angry at having to pay extra for what amounts to reduced service.

Mongoose018

@shawcable.net
reply to will2k

I called Shaw and emailed them ten days ago. They gave me a ticket # and I havent heard from them since. Strange no?

komal

join:2003-02-16
reply to will2k

Interesting, my download speeds keep decreasing, I'm on DOCSIS, and I've been getting 2700+ consistently until just a couple of weeks ago, maybe longer, I only realized it now because I started running speed tests again. Now, even on the shaw speedtest I am getting 2000kbits down and 376 up, I find that pretty stupid, my upload is about 100 kbits off what it should be, and my download speed is 700 kbits off of the norm, and a megabit below the DOCSIS max (though I know I'll never reach that so don't try pointing out to those noobs who were about to). I'm starting to get sick of this very quickly, if things don't improve, if halo 2 keeps taking this long to find games, and if my much worsened ping keeps worsening(noticed in online gaming, servers on my favourites list that I usually get low pings to are now 130+ms), then I'll switch to MTS, those guys get 2 megabits now, but their speeds are constant, and their pings are better.

emmpeethree
Twizzling Flagella
Premium
join:2001-04-13
Richmond, BC

1 edit
reply to will2k

Click for full size
ok, this is not an anomaly because its jumping from 20-40 (last week its gone no higher than 10-15 for me)

have they raised the cap, or removed it?

not sure because my internet is so damn slow i can hardly tell a difference
--
Name another North American suburb of over 165 000 people which STILL doesn't have a CO close enough for many to get DSL! (ITS NOW AVAIL AFTER 5 YEARS OF WAITING!)

shawsux2

join:2004-11-10
Surrey, BC
reply to will2k

mine has been jumping from 10 - 140 kb/s....upload has even gone up to 40 but thats the highest ever...it gets a spike in speed then slows down..then gets a nother spike and so on..bte i am not on extreme service. Upload still sux ass -.-

mongoose018

@shawcable.net

Today was the first day in about 2 weeks that my d/l speed reached 100k u/l still tops out at 5k though.

helphelp6

join:2004-11-11

said by mongoose018:

Today was the first day in about 2 weeks that my d/l speed reached 100k u/l still tops out at 5k though.
nothing change to me indeed.

still only getting 0-6k d/l and 0-10k u/l in BT

Domo-kun

@shawcable.net

Click for full size
Ethereal BT Snapshot
This is a snapshot of (mostly) BT packets.

Notice how many of the packets have a checksum error...
It seems that along the way, something gets corrupted at the TCP layer. Possibly the datapayload gets chopped off along the way from a peer...

UserUser

@shawcable.net

I've heard rumours of peers run by some organisations that are surreptitiously chopping off bytes and passing on the data as being good, essentially poisoning every peer that connects to them and slowing everything down. That could be what you're seeing. You might want to try different .torrents to see if that is happening across the board for you, though I'd imagine it's not.

Tonight, I downloaded azureus (much nicer than btdownloadheadless.py, that's for sure and I'm pulling close to 200 kB/s on my download, and it's pretty stable.

Obviously, whatever upgrades Shaw's done in Kerrisdale over the last three days have worked wonders for my traffic.

I did however make a rather large change to my network settings: I opened up port 6881 incoming and tunneled it to my desktop. BitTorrent is now acting as I would expect it to.

So, my advice to all the people who are finding their poor bittorrent speeds are driving them crazy:

1. Different bittorrent clients implement the protocol differently. They have different timeout values for things like choking, snubbing, peer keepalives, and other small things that can have a big effect on your performance. It took me a while to tweak the official btdownload.py clients to something reasonable but I just gave up and downloaded azureus. It's open source, and cross platform, and although I did tweak some settings from the default, mostly it seems to be well configured.

2. For the love of god, open up port 6881 incoming on your firewalls and make sure it works! Azureus has a built in test for it, or you can try something like shields up! and tell it to scan port 6881 for you to make sure it's open.

3. BitTorrent works best when you LEAVE YOUR CLIENT ON AFTER YOU GET THE ENTIRE FILE. For the love of god people, this is about sharing with each other. Don't fucking leech. When you leave your bt running for a while afterwards, you help other people get the rare parts of the file.

4. If you are going to limit your upload bandwidth, BE REASONABLE. Shaw gives us about 512kb/s (about 55 kB/s) of upload bandwidth (for non-extreme users), and I'm sure we all know how badly our connections are when we max out our uploads (you can google the reasons for this if you're interested). Still, that doesn't mean that you can't set aside 15 or 20 kB/s for your upload, or even more if you're feeling generous. It helps _everyone_ trying to get the file. Keep in mind though that Shaw checks the ratio of upload:download traffic and usually uses that to determine whether or not to warn you about your usage. If you go to »secure.shaw.ca you can find your monthly usage, including daily stats for the past three months.

5. All that said-- we're all in this together. If you're going to be downloading and uploading large files, the best time to do it is after 1am and before 8am. Be reasonable in your usage, and for the love of god, keep your computer spyware and virus free as best as you can.

HTH,
UserUser

neuge
Premium
Vancouver, BC

1 edit
reply to will2k

How's your upload doing?

I mean, I'm stably getting 450kB/s down in Azureus, but I can't upload at all.