Search similar:

uniqs

KitsAffected
@shawcable.net

KitsAffected to silverpig1

Anon

to silverpig1

Re: BT slowdowns?

I'm not sure if it's a client problem. I've tried using both Azureus and BitTornado, I still see the same slow speeds with both clients.

taz6067
@shawcable.net

taz6067 to will2k

Anon

to will2k
I sent off an e-mail to Shaw support, asking them if they were doing anything to throttle BitTorrent traffic. The tech said that he's had the same problems at home, but that it is against Shaw's policy to restrict usage of any kind. He also mentioned that other ISPs around the country have had the same problems. Assuming he is telling the truth, there must be some other explanation. I checked around and found some other posts confirming this, though only in Canada.
xsmirage
join:2004-10-16
West Vancouver, BC

1 edit

xsmirage to will2k

to will2k
I'd love to see some sort of explanation for this. It's not like the protocol for BT can change overnight. Something or someone is effecting (not affecting) this. Who I do not know, Why is also a good question.

This is what I want to happen ok?

Anyone who is having problems post here, with the following information. (DO NOT POST UNLESS YOU'RE POSTING ALL THE INFO - None of this "I don't know" crap)

======================================================

1. Modem Make/Model & ISP
2. Your Location (Approx - EG: North Vanc @ East 22nd)
3. Sys Specs - (CPU, RAM, OS, LAN Adapter, Service Pack)
4. When you noticed problems
5. Any other network devices (Router, AP, Etc)
6. Bit Torrent Client

Let's track this down people. There IS an explanation for this.

My current hypothesis is:

1. SB5100's Getting an update from Shaw, and it's gone wrong somehow
2. Bit Torrent Client, or Some virus/worm not yet detected.

Cheers,

SyS

KitsAffected
@shawcable.net

KitsAffected

Anon

1. Motorola SB5100 - Shaw
2. Burrard & W. Broadway (near Kitsilano)
3. P4 3.0Ghz, 512MB, Win XP Pro, AcerLAN ALN-201, SP2
4. October 30th
5. None
xsmirage
West Vancouver, BC

1 edit

xsmirage

1. Motorola SB5100 - Shaw
2. North Vanc @ East 22nd
3. P4 3.0Ghz, 1GB, Win XP Pro, Onboard Intel & Linksys PCI Secondary (backup), SP1
4. October 30th
5. Linksys WRT54G
6. Azureus 2.2.0.0
jimmyche
join:2002-01-05

1 edit

jimmyche

1. Motorola SB5100 - Shaw Xtreme-I
2. Vancouver East @ E.38 and renfrew
3. AMD 2.4, 512mb ram, Win XP pro SP1. ECS onbard lan card
4. last week
5. WRT54G ver 2
6. ABC, Bitcomet
7. MAX BT TRAFFIC is 40 kB/s
silverpig1
join:2002-01-17

silverpig1 to will2k

to will2k
1. Motorola SB5100 - Xtreme-I
2. Vancouver Kerrisdale
3. XP 3200+ 1 GB RAM with XP Pro SP2 and Gentoo Linux using 3com onboard LAN
4. October 30th
5. P3 450 64 MB ram router running Smoothwall linux
6. Azureus 2.2.0.0 (also tried 2.1.0.4 or whatever and Bit tornado

I can finally get decent upload speeds but it takes for damn ever, and it quite often drops back down to horrible speeds for a while. And the download speeds take forever to get anywhere near decent.

ALSO: Has anyone else noticed that upload speeds are a multiple of 3.2 k/s? 0, 3.2, 6.4, 9.6 etc? My friend and I are both experiencing this.

Gal3316
@shawcable.net

Gal3316 to will2k

Anon

to will2k
1. Motorola SB5100 - Shaw Xtreme-I
2. Richmond @ No.1 and Francis
3. XP 2500+ 512mb ram with xp pro SP1
4. Oct 29th
5. D-Link DI-514 Router
6. Azureus 2.2.0.0, BitComet 0.56

taz6067
@shawcable.net

taz6067 to will2k

Anon

to will2k
1. Motorola SB5100 on Shaw (not extreme)
2. North Van, 4th and Lonsdale
3. Athlon XP 2600+, 512M RAM, Win XP SP2, SMC 1211
4. Nov 2nd, away for the weekend
5. none
6. Azureus 2.2.0.0

my d/l is fine, but my upload fluctuates btwn 0 and 12.8kB/s. Watching the details in Azureus, the upload speeds jump from 0 to some multiple of 3.2 kB/s. Then the upload drops back to zero. I also can't seem to connect to more than 4 peers at a time for any torrent. Wierd.
will2k
join:2004-11-01
Vancouver, BC

will2k

1. Motorola SB5100, Shaw extreme
2. East Van, Main and 33rd
3. Athlon XP 1600+, 768mb RAM, WinXP SP2, SMC1211 Series
4. Oct30
5. Added a Linksys Wireless-B router yesterday, with DMZ
enabled, still the same.
6. Bittornado 0.3.7/0.3.8
xsmirage
West Vancouver, BC

xsmirage to will2k

to will2k
I'm seeing these multiples as well.

More details to follow, I'm all over this.
WRX888
join:2004-11-02
Vancouver, BC

WRX888 to will2k

to will2k
1. Motorola SB5100, Shaw regular highspeed
2. South Van (49th & Victoria)
3. XP2500, 512MB RAM, XP Pro-SP1, nVidia onboard NIC
4. Oct.30th
5. Linksys WRT54G v2
6. BitTornado 0.3.7/0.3.8

I just noticed that my BT went back to normal/full speed today (Nov.3) around 12:00-1:00pm then it dropped back to crap speeds again around 3pm. Weird. I have no problems connecting to 50+ seeds/peers, but d/l & u/l is still crap.
eraser_
join:2003-09-03
Canada

eraser_ to xsmirage

to xsmirage
All of a sudden I'm getting it, everything was fine this afternoon but its in the shitter tonight.
I changed ports to no effect. Still hovering around 0-0.5 KiB/s on a well seeded torrent. Connection is otherwise normal.

Strangly enough I am getting the odd burst of speed from a single peer.

1. Terayon TCM 200, Shaw
2. Southern Alberta
3. P4 2.1, 1GB, XP Pro SP2, Sis 900 integrated NIC
4. Nov 03, ~2145
5. Router running Astaro (DLink 530TX X 2), ports are fowarded correctly.
6. Azureus 2.2.0.0
OrionZero

OrionZero to will2k

to will2k
1.Motorola SB5100 - Shaw i-extreme
2.No.3 & Westminster Hwy Richmond
3.P4 2.4Ghz, 512MB, Win XP pro sp2, intel onboard NIC
4.October 30th
5.Linksys BFSR41
6.Bitcomet 0.56

Seems like only the SB5100 are affected...:(
will2k
Vancouver, BC

1 edit

will2k

copied from rs.net computer forum

--------------------
called up Shaw tonight and they actually have a "ticket" on fixing certain P2P issues right now. They have admitted that they do have problems with download speeds for certain P2P networks. They wouldn't say exactly which ones but they are working on it.

The dude I talked to was very helpful and said that they've been getting lots of complaints about slow transfer speeds on P2P networks.

I guess the best thing to do if you continue to have problems is just call them up so they can log all this info.
----------
posted by EgNyTeR
WRX888
join:2004-11-02
Vancouver, BC

WRX888

Just called up a friend and they are also having slow BT.

1. Motorola SB5100, Shaw Extreme-I
2. South Van (E.57th & Fraser)
3. P4-1.5, 512MB RAM, XP Pro-SP1, onboard Intel NIC
4. Oct.30th
5. Linksys WRT54G v1
6. BitTornado 0.3.7

On a side note, I just called Shaw support and the tech I was speaking with mentioned that I was the 2nd call tonight he got about slow BT, and they are investigating. I asked him if he knew what "maintenance/upgrade" was done on Oct. 28th and he didn't know. He said to call back in a couple days if the problem still persists with my ticket# and check for any updates.
hesty
join:2001-09-16
Vancouver, BC

hesty to will2k

to will2k
1. Motorola SB5100 Regular Speed (3Web actually).
2. East Van, Hastings & Nanaimo.
3. AMD Athlon 2500 XP, 512 MB Ram, Fedora Core 2, Linksys NIC.
4. Last Weekend (Oct 30th?).
5. D-link 604.
6. Shad0w's experimental client.
geiss8
join:2004-11-04
Burnaby, BC

1 recommendation

geiss8 to will2k

to will2k
I'm using i-extreme.
I don't use BT a lot. The p2p program I had problems are Winmx and Utatane. Starts from 2,3 days ago, I cannot upload at all, ul speed is 0-2k, the download seems ok.

Btw after a shaw guy told me they did nothing to cause this I spent 2 days hunting virus in my system...killed some innocent worms...=_= and now found out it's not virus at all....
rp_guy
join:2001-06-19
Canada

rp_guy to will2k

to will2k
currently getting 160+ KB/s (kilobytes) on a naruto torrent, regular 3MBit service, edmonton, docsis
geiss8
join:2004-11-04
Burnaby, BC

geiss8 to will2k

to will2k
Btw vancouver here.

I think only shaw has the problem, none of other forums has similar complaint.

And only p2p uploading is affected, BT downloading also slows down since it highly depends on other ppls ul.

Liontaur
Lets Get Boincing Already

join:2001-11-03
Salmon Arm, BC

Liontaur

said by geiss8:

I think only shaw has the problem, none of other forums has similar complaint.
There is a news item that talks about P2P issues in the InsightBB and Mediacom forums. Here's a stickied thread in Mediacom, and here's one in InsightBB. Maybe there's something helpful in there? I noticed that in the InsightBB thread I linked to one anon user talks about software ISPs can run to limit P2P traffic, here's a direct link... don't know if that user's blowing smoke or not though.
c0mmander
join:2001-10-03

c0mmander

i have rr (not shaw) and have noticed 10 simultaneous torrents get me 40-80Kbps in the last 2 days, while normally i get 180-200Kbps. upload seems to be the same, although a little slower in getting to max speed

Shaze
@shawcable.net

Shaze to will2k

Anon

to will2k
Yeah, I live in Vancouver, Shaw Extreme I, XP+SP1, and over the last week or so my BT downloads are non existent to dead all the time, definatly something Shaw did. They were doing huge upgrades to their DOCSIS 2 stuff and still are, obviously having adverse effects.
Shaze

Shaze to silverpig1

Anon

to silverpig1
Yo, this is in response to SilverPig's Upload multiplier ident thing, yes, I see the same thing man. 6.4, 9.6 etc, definatly onto something........
Shaze

Shaze to xsmirage

Anon

to xsmirage
Shaw Extreme-I users in the greater Vancouver area.

Alright, I have an answer for all you waiting to download, I talked to Van.Support and Calgary. They know about the issue and have been reading the countless forums describing this issue. Van.Support is saying that Calgary has the issue in mind but are not talking about it or sharing any WIP reports with support staff. Apparantly no one is making enough of a big deal about this issue, so, while we suffer with slow speeds, make an effort and send a BT Protocol related email to van.help@sjrb.ca and complain!! They will pass the msg off to Calgary for you, we get enough people complain about it, we'll get something done. I'm also taking it upon myself to start up a customer DB complaint forum on my site, head to »shaze.ca and register yourself @ the forum posted to know what I know when I know it.
stolen
join:2004-04-12
Calgary, AB

stolen to Shaze

to Shaze
the multiples of 3.2 kbytes/sec is an Azureus thing. I don't see anything like that with Shad0w's experimental bit torrent.
I just downloaded Azureus to try it out, and sure enough, same 3.2 multiplier thing. Looks like Azureus us just lazy at math or something.
BTW, no speed problems here in Calgary on the Docsis side.

Shaze
@shawcable.net

Shaze

Anon

Good to know it's only Vancouver based, but I think we covered that somewhere, I wonder if it's directly effected by the changes made last month?

smic7
join:2003-06-11
Surrey, BC

smic7 to will2k

to will2k
well i cant say i get bad connections with bit torrent, i get usually 80-120k
but i seem not to be able to connect to half the seeders, most of the time
like if 120 seeders, i can connect to about maybe 20

i noticed most of the people with slowdowns have xp with sp1 or sp2, and i got osx and havent noticed any slowdown ever

maybe im just lucky, or it could be a something to do with windows networking, just a thought

Shaze
@shawcable.net

Shaze to will2k

Anon

to will2k
It has nothing to do with the OS yer using, I've got Redhat and an OSX machine on my network and still same connectino issues with BT.......

whocaresabouthename
@appscorp.net

whocaresabouthename to will2k

Anon

to will2k
well it's not news to me. Iv'e been using BT for a year now and it never downloaded any faster than 20K/sec for me. And i have 1.5/728 DSL... with files that have 100's of seeds.