uniqs
IKNOWIT
join:2004-11-29
Surrey, BC

IKNOWIT to Anon

to Anon

Re: BT slowdowns in Greater Vancouver?

MR. Kilimats.....

Terayon modem = 20GB for residential users .....cannot get Extreme-I package [even just the bandwidth] with that modem

kilimats
join:2004-12-22
Vancouver, BC

kilimats to will2k

to will2k
i call shaw thecnician about the extreme but apparently they don't want let you go for, you need the new modem to do that, and also they plan to block user who still use the old at the begining of next year, he didnt know exactly when, farest will be the best for me
kilimats

kilimats to will2k

to will2k
but anyway i still have my upload back for the moment, happy enought

Ignite
Premium Member
join:2004-03-18
UK

4 edits

Ignite to Anon

Premium Member

to Anon
EDIT: Upon reflection I'm not going to rise to that and take this issue off topic of believed traffic shaping in Greater Vancouver. Those who know the technology will know that you could uncap a modem and a traffic shaping device will crunch you down according to its' profile - I've seen it done with uncapped modems whose bandwidth is controlled by such a device sitting in the network after the uBR rather than by a QoS file on the modem as is normal, it's one way that 'boostable' bandwidth is implemented (paying for say 1.5Mbit all the time, and having x hours of 3Mbit or whatever for an extra charge).
Expand your moderator at work

Manatrite
Shattered Reflection
join:2003-03-02
Canada

Manatrite to will2k

to will2k

Re: BT slowdowns in Greater Vancouver?

Just wondering if anyone still have their BT throttled?
jordanlol
join:2004-11-01

jordanlol to will2k

to will2k
that guy preview , is making me feel is that guy vitamin g again , a person who makes stuff up, cause my cousin in richmond are still having shitty downloads and uploads, look the the date this guy jion in , a few days ago , so dont believe shits he,s blahing about.(vitaim g) preview ,as for him who knows...
kilimats
join:2004-12-22
Vancouver, BC

kilimats to will2k

to will2k
DONT YOU UNDERSTAND THAT YOUR UPLOAD CAN BE BACK IF YOUR PURCHASE THE OLD MODEM

NEED TO WAKE UP

pkarlos_76
join:2004-08-24
Edmonton, AB

pkarlos_76

said by kilimats:

NEED TO WAKE UP
Can you clarify....I did not understand what you were trying to say?
TELUS
join:2004-02-16
TELUS

TELUS

said by pkarlos_76:

said by kilimats:

NEED TO WAKE UP
Can you clarify....I did not understand what you were trying to say?
*** RANTranslator Version 1.4 Build 107 Unregistered ***
If you purchase the Terayon modem, your upload levels will be normalized. Purple Monkey Dishwasher.

Nitro Fixx
join:2003-02-17
Maple Ridge, BC

Nitro Fixx to will2k

to will2k
Last night I was could max out my upload speed to 880 kbps.:)

It would appear that my Bt upload speed is back to normal. Haven't seen those kind of speeds since September.

->using Motorola Surfboard modem with xtreme
jordanlol
join:2004-11-01

jordanlol to will2k

to will2k
sad, sad , sad, i am at my cousin,s house and with bt it is moving at 38 kbs and upload at 10 kbs ,guess i am lucky to had telus for now.
jayman2004
join:2004-12-07
Victoria, BC

jayman2004 to will2k

to will2k
Well here in victoria bc where i am on shaw extreme speed has allways been good. i had a fue clients complaneing about slow speeds in bt and well all of them wich are 12 clients had there old prefs in azureus screwed up when they upgraded to a newer verson so i trashed azureus reinstalled it and fiddled with the settings and bam they get good speeds agane and havent had a call back since. Other then the odd bt file with a virus n all.

Ignite
Premium Member
UK

Ignite to Nitro Fixx

Premium Member

to Nitro Fixx
said by Nitro Fixx:

Last night I was could max out my upload speed to 880 kbps.:)

It would appear that my Bt upload speed is back to normal. Haven't seen those kind of speeds since September.

->using Motorola Surfboard modem with xtreme
A Surfboard (not an old modem) is maxing BT upload speed? Imagine that, it being incompatible and all (or Shaw removing Ellacoya from that area perhaps?!)

Thingamajig
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
B.C.

Thingamajig

Premium Member

said by Ignite:

A Surfboard (not an old modem) is maxing BT upload speed? Imagine that, it being incompatible and all (or Shaw removing Ellacoya from that area perhaps?!)
I doubt very much $haw has removed this equipment. They are probably delaying its implementation until all areas have them installed and will throttle nationally. Their local implementation was a flawed misguided use of this tool. IMO the GVRD was a test area and we were the guinea pigs. They'll probably set up certain apps to get throttled by 25% or some such figure so the Sh*t storm doesn't overwhelm them and say it a problem out of their hands deflecting blame onto other networks etc (sound familiar?). If done nationally how are we going to be able to compare? They could do it in increments of say 5% over a month or two and those nasty one percenters will have little to back up their claims of unfair throttling.

Ignite
Premium Member
UK

Ignite

Premium Member

Yup most common uses are either to prioritise this traffic very low so that it gets whatever bandwidth is left over after every other app has had some, or to set a max value of total available bandwidth that this protocol can take at any one time, or a combination of both.
tlhIngan
join:2002-07-08
Richmond, BC

tlhIngan to will2k

to will2k
They're probably waiting until they get approval to do VoIP. Then they'll program them to prioritize Shaw VoIP traffic, de-prioritize non-Shaw VoIP traffic (result: Shaw phone sounds great, everyoen else sucks), de-prioritize BT traffic (saves money), and prioritize cablebox uploads (faster Shaw On Demand).
vengeanceis
join:2004-12-20
Surrey, BC

vengeanceis

just 2 very wierd facts I've figured out..

my eMule .44d performance sucks, since Oct 28th, same as many people did complain, very bad unstable upload.
i am in Surrey.

1) I spoke to a friend of mine who lives 500m (five hundred meters!) away from me, and he said HE's HAD NO PROBLEMS with Shaw whatsoever (!!!) .. how come. he uses eMule too, and said his speeds are high as skies.. this is wierd...

2) I tried Azureus two days ago (never used before), and immediately got 160kbsec down and 40up... which is, I think, good... at least much better then expected!
this is also wierd ...

if we speak about throttling BT, then why BT works for me fine and eMule is so crappy????

anyone, any ideas to share?
vengeanceis

vengeanceis

by the way? where're all the people who had problems with BT and eMule??

HOW's EVERYBODY DOING?
IvanGoroun
join:2004-02-26
Richmond, BC

IvanGoroun

I'm using DC++ in Richmond and there is no problem with speeds. Upload and download both seem fine.

guest604
@shawcable.net

guest604

Anon

im still downloading super slow....i waited 4 days to finish a torrent, downloading at 15k/s even at night. So theres not solution to this problem right now? This is really piss me off

oblisk87
@shawcable.net

oblisk87 to will2k

Anon

to will2k
Everything excellent, went over 50gb again this month, pissing myself, hoping not to find the power light blinking when I come home. It's really scary...

BT speeds: excellent
eMule: Still CRAP. 0.5~4kbps Ul MAX, download, are also slowed down by a far bit 15~20kbps

guest604
@shawcable.net

guest604

Anon

which area in u in?? i live around boardway and nanaimo, near Vantech secondary school
vengeanceis
join:2004-12-20
Surrey, BC

vengeanceis

can anyone explain why eMule is slow, while BT is fine?
Imhotep0
join:2002-09-12
Beverly Hills, CA

Imhotep0 to will2k

to will2k
BT is not fine for me, i'm on extreme and its as slow as ever, i'm d/l a file with 71 seeds right now and its trickling in fluctuating between 0-34 kbs.
analog andy
join:2005-01-03
Surrey, BC

analog andy to will2k

to will2k
Click for full size
BT Surrey
Hmm Im in Surrey and have no problems with BT although I dont use it much.
analog andy

analog andy

Click for full size
Ok now it flactuates at about 350-400 Should also add that when the DL starts it does go pretty slow then just jumps up to a higher speed.