All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

LatinTek
join:2004-06-03
Allentown, PA

LatinTek

[general] Linksys WRT54GS and NTP Question.

Hi. Since the WRT54GS has a built in NTP set clock, can I sync my PCs with it? I'd like to set up a 2003 server to sync to it and setup AD so that an XP box with get the right time and sync on a reg. Can someone tell me if this is possible and maybe How I can do it. I've looked online but no luck on any real info.

Thanks in advance.
LatinTek

LatinTek

Does anyone have any info??

Flogator
Premium Member
join:2003-01-19
Cantley, QC

Flogator

Premium Member

The WRT54GS stock firmware only support an NTP client (well, it actually supports only SNTP but that's another story). It does not have an NTP server. As a result, you cannot have your PCs to synch the time from the router directly. You are not out of luck though. You have at least two other alternatives:

1) Since the WRT54GS is open source, you can either download the software source code and modify it to add an NTP server. Alternatively, you can also do the same using any of the existing 3rd party firmware (i.e. Sveasoft, OpenWrt, HyperWRT, etc). This is probably overkill just to synchronize time though. I would rather go with the second alternative.

2) If your PC does not have an NTP client yet, you can install one on your PCs (there are many NTP client you can download for free). Then you can configure it such that it uses the same NTP server used by your router. Your PC will then synch their time from the same source as the router.

LatinTek
join:2004-06-03
Allentown, PA

LatinTek

Hey Flogator. Thanks for the info. The reason I haven't gone the software client on my 2003 DC is cause I read an article that said it wasn't recomended to do that. I just can remember what the reason was. I wish HyperWRT had this ability. It would be way cool.