Just thought people might be interested in this way of splitting voice and DSL at the demarc and running separate feeds throughout the house.
Bell's incoming is at the top. The official demarc is the pushdown at the bottom. I installed a small, scrap plywood board in between. At the top and bottom are two 4-wire terminal strips. I bought mine at Electrosonic but I imagine Radio Shack, etc. sells them too. In the middle is the guts of a standard Bell-issue Corning filter with the plastic shroud removed. I unsoldered the existing wire at the top of the board and the RJ-11 jack at the bottom, replacing both with new wires.
Note that only one pair (red-green) goes into the terminal strip and filter. I ran jumpers from there to the other pair (yellow-black) which remains unfiltered. Now I've got voice on line 1 and DSL on line 2. I replaced the wall plate near my computer and DSL modem with a duplex jack with one line wired for phone and the other wired for DSL, i.e. the yellow/black pair is wired to to the red/green terminals.
Thank you to MacGyver, Kringle et al for suggesting this approach in previous threads. Perhaps this update and photo will be useful to others in similar situations.
i really like that idea i might try it just one thing where do you get or how do you make the filter? could i maybe modify one of the ones you use for each phone?? thanx
said by the_demonio:
where do you get or how do you make the filter? could i maybe modify one of the ones you use for each phone??
It's just one of the standard beige plastic filters that Bell supplies with the DSL modem kit. I used a screwdriver to "crack" the two halves of the shell, then discarded them.
That procedure exposes the printed circuit board you see in the picture. The top of the board has a standard red/green/yellow/black cable with an RJ-11 plug at the end. The bottom of the board has an RJ-11 jack that's soldered in.
I carefully removed the wires at the top and unsoldered/pried off the jack at the bottom, then soldered new wires with crimped-on lugs at the other ends for the terminal strip. If you don't have lugs you can just tin the ends with solder.
You have to be handy with a soldering iron to do all of this. A "solder sucker" helps too. Make a note of which wires get soldered into which holes.
When I removed the jack, there were two holes left from the plastic pins that held it in place. I used them to screw the filter circuit board to the piece of plywood you see.
thanks thats what i wanted to know
yeah im pretty good at soldering
just didnt want to distroy one of those without knowing if it was the same
Here's a picture of the filter. This one has a curved body. The shell is glued or welded together.
Earlier designs had a straight body with several tabs on the sides that held the two halves together. I took one of those apart a long time ago using a small screwdriver to pull the tabs apart. I can't remember what the innards looked like but I imagine they'd be similar to the new design.
|reply to bylo |
This post encouraged me. i was getting some intermittent speeds. i do have an alarm system and old wires.
i put my modem right beside the demarc, connected it straight in. i get an extra 400-500kbits on the downstream. i filter the phone line after it goes through the modem. i can post some pics if you guys wanna see it. it's not pretty but works great.