spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Dark_Knight
join:2004-01-21
Burnaby, BC

Dark_Knight

Setting up Telus Email for Linux users.

I've been puzzled that I cannot connect to the Telus mail server for Alberta. I tried using the Telus FAQ for setting pop and smtp but still cannot send or receive mail. Is there an alternate server address for POP and SMTP? An alternate address would make sense since Rogers Cable needed this for certain customers using their broadband cable service.

Note: my MAC address was already registered with »oca.ab.hsia.telus.net and I have no trouble accessing the internet with my browser.

For POP Security I have set Encryption: "Use SSL mode for secure mail download" and Authentication Method: "Clear Text". For SMTP Security I have set Encryption: "SSL" and Authentication Method: "Login".

If anyone is familiar with setting up a Telus email account using KDE KMail or Gnome Evolution in Linux please respond.

A: For Alberta Customers
Incoming Mail Server Type: POP3
Incoming Mail Server: pop.telus.net
Outgoing Mail Server: smtp.telus.net (or mail.telus.net)

normanzhang
join:2004-09-03
Calgary, AB

normanzhang

I'm not sure if pop3s and smtps are supported. Please try without them.

fhsdfhsae
@telus.net

fhsdfhsae to Dark_Knight

Anon

to Dark_Knight
do not use SSL - then it will work

Dark_Knight
join:2004-01-21
Burnaby, BC

Dark_Knight

I changed "SSL" to "None" for encryption and the mail server can now be accessed. In the security settings for POP and SMTP the user can click on a button that says "Check what server supports" which left "None" and "SSL" available. Since I'm using "None" to be able to send and receive mail I'm assuming my mail is not using any form of encryption. Is it possible the "SSL" option is for users that set up PGP encrypted keys?

normanzhang
join:2004-09-03
Calgary, AB

normanzhang

You are correct. Your mail server does not support SSL. Telus' mail server needs to enable pop3s and smtps before you can use them.

PGP is different from SSL.