spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DaveNSueM

@67.39.x.x

[TWC] WOH Newsgroup Access

Couple of days ago starting receiving "480 Authentication Required" messages from news-server.woh.rr.com Have been using them with no problem for over a year. This occurs with Xnews, Outlook Express and just plain TELNETTing into the server on 119. Calls to Help Desk are less than helpful Anyone else having this issue?

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
Are you with RR or by chance Earthlink Cable or one of the "resellers" of RR ??

I don't know how TW/RR's news servers work, but many have dual-authentication: 1) You have to have a valid RR IP address and 2) You still have to "login" with your acct username and password. Those aren't necessarily checked in that order either, though I'd guess the IP is checked first.

As I said, I don't know how RR's work so if you're already doing this or know this, sorry for the redundancy.
--
MoveOn, Get over it...

Davensuem

@67.39.x.x
reply to DaveNSueM
I am directly with RR and they only require the IP to be in their range (which it should be since modem obtains from them). Just for grins I actually tried entering my name/password, even though never needed this before, but still did not work...As a side-note, all of my other RR functionality is fine - just Newsgroups has the issue. Thanks for your thoughts!

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
said by Davensuem:

I am directly with RR and they only require the IP to be in their range (which it should be since modem obtains from them).
Has your IP changed recently ?? Their newsgroups server might just look for the rDNS name to see if it contains "*.woh.rr.com" in it and let you in. If it goes by IP address though, it will have a "list" of valid IPs or ranges of IPs. Now, say TW-WOH has *added* a new batch or range and you got one of those. The list that the newsgroup server has might not be updated.

Sadly, in many cases the only way to let them know is to call in... Then you get a support person who says "nothing is wrong on our end, check your settings again... reboot your PC and modem...". You need to get a high enough level rep who can find out if something like the above is the case...
--
MoveOn, Get over it...

Davensuem

@67.39.x.x
reply to DaveNSueM
Oddly enough I did have to recycle my modem that very morning and I may have easily received a new ip address. I totally agree with you (I am in the IS field) and have spent close to 3 hours on the phone with them. Last night I was able to get to their "Tier 3" support to no avail - the guy even had to ask me how to spell "Authentication" so he could take good notes. I have repeatedly asked them to give me a "test" ip address in a known good range that I could temporarily hard-code but that concept blows them away. All 3 levels want me to call Microsoft - it is really a joke.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

1 edit
If you rec'd a new modem, you DID receive a new IP address. Guess what ?? That IP isn't "known" to their newsgroup servers.
quote:
All 3 levels want me to call Microsoft - it is really a joke.
Well, don't tell 'em you're using Linux 'cause they'll first blame it on that. Then they'll tell you they don't support Linux. You could tell 'em you're using a Mac...

davensuem

@67.39.x.x
reply to DaveNSueM
Actually I did not receive a new modem, just recycled it (powered off/on).

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
Doh ! I saw "recycled" and read it as "received". Turning it off and back on will rarely get you a new IP...

Be patient. There are some WOH employees who post here unofficially that might be able to help. They usually show up in the evening though.
--
MoveOn, Get over it...

davensuem

@67.39.x.x
reply to DaveNSueM
Hey no problem - thanks for your responses!

davensuem

@67.39.x.x
reply to DaveNSueM
Update - thought I would try RR dialup with my laptop over the weekend thus getting a completely different IP address - received same error as my desktop (cable modem) machine. Newsgroup server returns a 480 Authentication Required message. Anyone else seeing this? Thanks.

Cable1969

@rr.com
reply to DaveNSueM
Whats the ip address you are getting at home?(not on the dial up) I will check into it. New ip scopes are added often so it may have missed on the access lists to the mail server.

davensuem

@67.39.x.x
IP is 24.29.165.xxx - let me know if you need the last 3 digits. Thanks for looking into. As stated previously, just using Telnet to 119 on the news server in DOS gives the 480 error...

Cable1969

@rr.com
reply to DaveNSueM
ACL for that ip scope should be addded now.

davensuem

@rr.com
reply to DaveNSueM
That did the trick - THANKS!!!
I can't tell you how many hours I tried convincing the Help Desk that this was a possibility - could not get them to even ask someone associated with the newsgroups in the company. Thanks again for taking the time to read these posts and to do something about it! Dave

Cable1969

@rr.com
reply to DaveNSueM
No problem. Glad I could help. The national help desk is a large group and some reps are really good and some dont have the experience yet. Usually for a issues like this just try to get the issue to the tier 3 group.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
said by Cable1969:

Usually for a issues like this just try to get the issue to the tier 3 group.
And the secret codeword for that is.... ???
--
MoveOn, Get over it...