uniqs

aaron2486
Premium Member
join:2001-12-01
Altoona, PA

aaron2486

Premium Member

[XP Pro] Not a valid Windows image

If I am getting a lot of error messages about certain files in the D:\windows\system32\ folder not being a valid Windows image, what does this generally mean, or what might be the cause?
joewho
Premium Member
join:2004-08-20
Dundee, IL

joewho

Premium Member

Does this occur in reference to windows update?
\System32\iuctl.dll is not a valid windows image
If the iuctl.dll error occurs, it has to do with update and here is the solution:»support.microsoft.com/de ··· s;836986

aaron2486
Premium Member
Altoona, PA

aaron2486

Premium Member

No, so far the ones I am getting involve dxtrans.dll when using AOL, Outlook, or Windows Media Player and sysdm.cpl when I tried to get the properties of My Computer. The dxtrans.dll messages have cspnotify in the titlebar and the sysdm.cpl messages have rundll32.exe in the title bar. I'm sure I will come across more of these when I open up programs I haven't used in a while.
joewho
Premium Member
Dundee, IL

joewho to aaron2486

Premium Member

to aaron2486
Try a search of the microsoft knowledge base.

javaMan
The Dude abides.
MVM
join:2002-07-15
San Luis Obispo, CA

javaMan to aaron2486

MVM

to aaron2486
Do have any Event Log entries related to this?

aaron2486
Premium Member
Altoona, PA

aaron2486

Premium Member

They don't give any more detail - just display the same message.
joewho
Premium Member
Dundee, IL

2 edits

joewho to aaron2486

Premium Member

to aaron2486
can you post a couple of the error messages, complete, exactly as they appear, including the error number? It's starting to look like you have been hijacked. If you have a spyware remover, please run that. If it doesn't help, download and run "highjack this" and post the log, so someone can help you.

aaron2486
Premium Member
Altoona, PA

aaron2486

Premium Member

Event ID: 26
Application popup: rundll32.exe - Bad Image : The application or DLL D:\WINDOWS\System32\SYSDM.CPL is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Application popup: CSpNotify Notify Window: waol.exe - Bad Image : The application or DLL D:\WINDOWS\System32\dxtrans.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Application popup: waol.exe - Bad Image : The application or DLL D:\WINDOWS\System32\dxtrans.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

Application popup: wmplayer.exe - Bad Image : The application or DLL D:\WINDOWS\System32\dxtrans.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

Application popup: ThorConnWndClass: OUTLOOK.EXE - Bad Image : The application or DLL D:\WINDOWS\System32\usp10.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

Haven't had any viruses or hijack problems. I want to hold off on sysrestore if possible because it seems that every time I run it I end up doing major damage.
joewho
Premium Member
Dundee, IL

2 edits

joewho

Premium Member

I've been editing the last post as I find out more. All the searches that are relative mention hijack software. BHO's and search assistant. .cpl means control panel etcetera. spybot is free, I would try that first. System restore is also another solution.
At anyrate, you can go to ms knowledge base and try entering the full errors in the search box. Otherwise, just enter them in a goolge search, and You'll find all the same info I did.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to aaron2486

Premium Member

to aaron2486
Means it's not a valid program file. 'Image' is short for 'memory image', which is a file (.exe, .dll, etc.) containing program code.

So, either those files are 'corrupt', or you're getting hardware errors, or both.

javaMan
The Dude abides.
MVM
join:2002-07-15
San Luis Obispo, CA

javaMan to aaron2486

MVM

to aaron2486
What interests me is that the errors are coming from seemingly unrelated files. Have you tried running chkdsk for the possibility that you have disk errors. You may have files sitting on bad disk sectors and the files can't be read properly.

auggy
Mod
join:2001-12-24
Brockville, ON

auggy to aaron2486

Mod

to aaron2486
Also, it appears the files SYSDM.CPL, dxtrans.dll and usp10.dll are all Windows files.

One thing to consider, if you haven't already, is to install SP2. SP2 will update all these files, and hopefully "validate" them.

If you have already installed SP2, consider re-installing it.

The following MS KB article, although not your problem, explains what can happen with the usp10.dll:

»support.microsoft.com/de ··· s;817116