spc
Search similar:

uniqs
blueskies1
join:2003-05-07
Houston, TX

blueskies1

Error 678 - Problem with DSL

Last night our electricity flashed off and turned everything off (including comp and dsl). Now, whenever we try to connect, we get the 'Error 678 - Remote computer did not respond', and it never connects. I spent a hour on the phone with tech help last night, but I had to let them go as it was getting too late (I installed a new connection, made sure all settings were alright, turned modem off, switched cables, etc.). I just thought I would post here and see if someone had any information. Everything else with the DSL modem works fine, all lights work, etc. This has happened before with my DSL and then it connected fine. I am currently on dialup. Any suggestions before I call again would be greatly appreciated.

I'm using:
Speedstream 5360 modem
Winxp Home (SP 1)

Never really had a problem like this. Thank you in advance.
holdshort
join:2004-11-11
North Richland Hills, TX

holdshort

go to help and type in 678 error, it will give you options to do.
soshelp8
join:2004-12-09

soshelp8 to blueskies1

to blueskies1
It could be a problem with your ethernet card or with your modem itself.There is a possibility of needing to reinstall ur drivers of your nic card. What SBC modem are you using? Is it a speedstream 5100a, 5100b, 5360, 5260, westell?

Pine59
Premium Member
join:2002-04-03
Dallas, TX

Pine59 to blueskies1

Premium Member

to blueskies1
blueskies, every time I have gotten that error, maybe 7 times in two and a half years the problem has been at the RT I'm on. I'm still using a 5360. You might want to post in the SBC Direct forum.

holdshort, what "help" are you referring to? Is it part of the 5100b interface?

soshelp, he indicated he had a Speedstream 5360.

larryhay
Premium Member
join:2003-05-15
Saint Louis, MO

larryhay

Premium Member

He or She hasn't responded back since the 3rd... I think we can let this one go.

Lindas Friend
@verizon.net

Lindas Friend to blueskies1

Anon

to blueskies1
I have a friend who has this same problem. So I brought her computer, modem, ethernet cable and all to my house and I connected fine. So when I gave it back to her, she had the same problem. So the problem does not appear to be with the hardware or software specifically, but more with Verizon's servers.
holdshort
join:2004-11-11
North Richland Hills, TX

holdshort

go to this address »help.sbcglobal.net/ then in the search type error 678 and it will take you to options to try.

HwySoul
Premium Member
join:2004-11-04
San Ramon, CA

HwySoul to blueskies1

Premium Member

to blueskies1
Do an "ipconfig /renew" at a command prompt. If you get "Cannot renew something that is not a socket" then it is an OS WinXP Problem