how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

wizzy

join:2001-05-29
Grand Rapids, MI

Cap in place for RCN Chicago

According to the cable modem supervisor, the last he knew, RCN was capping cable modems at 512kpbs.

This goes against what I've been told by every other RCN employee "there is no cap in place".

achuchma

join:2001-04-11
Tampa, FL

When RCN was pimping themselves in my neighborhood back in May, I asked them what their cap was and the sales person said, "768k" - I am not surprised that they are lowering that cap due to the problems I have heard about from friends that have RCN.
--
WARNING! Do not look directly into the processed chicken...

wizzy

Grand Rapids, MI

I found out that there is a cap by checking my modem, but it's not as bad as 512k.

Maximum Downstream Data Rate 0.82 Mb/s
Maximum Upstream Data Rate 0.26 Mb/s

Found that by poking around using the following instructions:
If you have a 3Com Tailfin, send your web browser to »149.112.50.65/ for early firmware versions, or »192.168.100.1/ for recent firmware versions. Firmware can be automatically updated by your cable operator down the cable, so by the time you read this, most Tailfins will have been updated to use the new address.

palmer_j_r
Congenital Optimist
Premium
join:2000-06-08
Chicago, IL

A little out of topic, but i just had the rcn techs over.. weirdness here.. can't get any activity in windows even though I get an IP address, linux, can get an IP address and perfect connectivity. Speed is about 755 down and 255 up not too bad, it's not as good as my relatively uncapped earthlink dsl service i use to have, 1.5 down and from 300 to 500 up.

I still can't figure out the windows thing though, haven't made ANY configuration changes, and was working fine last nite. Today, zilch, nothing. Techs can't figure it out either why net works fine in linux but not in windows.
--
Sincerely,

Joseph Palmer
jpenterprisescomputing.com

System
reply to wizzy

So RCNChicago old 21st Century.net has a cap at around 820/260? Any way we can get higher speeds from this service? Like for instance on this link »/archive/21stcentury.net
there are some from the same zip that are having dl/ul speeds that are crazy such as 7415/7413 how can this be? Anyone have an answer? I'd really like to know.

wizzy

Grand Rapids, MI

Probably some corporate plant that has uncapped access, just to skew the ratings

System

Hello wizzy so how goes your DSL service? Is it much faster than Ameritech/SBC? Just another question to those out there, how is it that RCN Chicago has such poor dl/ul compared to other parts of the US that have RCN also???? Really unfair.

hockeyfun1$
Down With Dc Exec
Premium
join:2000-11-26
New Hartford, NY

said by dragonintl:
how is it that RCN Chicago has such poor dl/ul compared to other parts of the US that have RCN also???? Really unfair.
Probably because it is different areas and more people might be on in your area.
--
1289 days later I bought another computer!

wizzy

Grand Rapids, MI
reply to Anon

I'm very happy with my Earthlink DSL, and it is much faster than Ameritech. Earthlink offers up to 1.5MB down, while Ameritech only offers 768k at a $49.95 price point. You can get 1.5MB but they want more than $150 a month for that, as they target it at businesses.

I had Mindspring DSL previously, and enjoyed that as well. I get almost the full 1.5MB down; granted I'm close to the CO (1 .5 blocks), but I had expected a little bit of a drop off since my earthlink is shared line while my mindspring was dedicated line (shared services wasn't legal in IL at that point), but really haven't seen it.

hockeyfun1$
Down With Dc Exec
Premium
New Hartford, NY

I know with RCN loosing money or going into debt that that could effect how fast they will upgrade any lines in your area, etc.

PS. Spell Checker needs to accept RCN as spelled right!!
--

System

RCN's web page says some customers get 28M/10M, and charge 40 bucks. Got my attention.

From the looks of things here, doesn't seem like anyone in Chicago is anywhere near that, not even getting DSL bandwidth. Something's wrong.

I live in Roger's Park, have @Home, and get slightly over 5Meg down to a max up of 130k, and the packet loss us usually 0, but can vary a bit. (bandwidth testing at Speakeasy) My downloads vary, but typically are between 4900k to 4100k. Pings are in the 30's and 40's for the most part, but can go up into the 60's sporadically.

I pay too much, 50 bucks. I signed up for 40 bucks, one month free, then they raised the price before I got my first invoice. I'm not happy w/that. Was hoping RCN was better for speeds/price.

Btw, no contract with @Home. Cancel anytime, no prob.

hockeyfun1$
Down With Dc Exec
Premium
New Hartford, NY

said by Albee1:
RCN's web page says some customers get 28M/10M, and charge 40 bucks. Got my attention.

Where do you see it says that on the webpage?
--

System

It was in the FAQ's.

hockeyfun1$
Down With Dc Exec
Premium
New Hartford, NY

Can you give me the exact page? I don't see it. I never seen anything about speeds in the FAQ other than "many times faster than dialup" or something like that.
--

System

Here it is:

»www.rcn.com/cablemodem/service/c···faq.html

Select or scroll to: How Fast Is RCN High Speed Internet Service?

A little further down, you'll also find their claim that your speeds will never decrease with additional subscribers.

Obviously, there's some spin going on, but it seems to me something's seriously wrong, if users have actively tweaked their systems, and can't even come up to DSL download speeds. If RCN would cap, it would surely focus on the upload, and none of you would get past 130k (128k cap)up. If the downloads were capped, it'd probably be at 3000k, so you should hit the limit around 2700k. We are talking cable, right?

I can't get a straight answer from @Home about my download cap, but I hit 5081kbps/129kbps several hours ago. My upload cap is supposedly 128kbps. If you need help, check out the @Home forum, and find the tweaks forum there. (It might be called "Optimize your Internet Connection".) I got close to where I am today, just reading the FAQ's, lurking the threads, doing what was suggested there, before I even posted any questions.

If you do post for help, be sure to first read, then follow, the posting procedure - and you'll get great support.

Good luck.
[text was edited by author 2001-09-01 02:44:32]

hockeyfun1$
Down With Dc Exec
Premium
New Hartford, NY

Our network makes 27 Mbps downstream and 10 Mbps upstream to a segment of customers.

I believe they mean per node. That is not per customer.
--

System

Yes it is per node which can contain up to 400 subscribers. On a very very very good day as a user of RCN Chicago I would get maybe a dl speed from some sites of 200Kbs in the first few seconds then a dramatic drop to oh about 90Kbs, on average I can get 80Kbs-95Kbs. Not something to brag about with this service. But that @home service in Rogers Park is astounding!!! Never belived that @home would have such a great DL speed. Incredible.

hockeyfun1$
Down With Dc Exec
Premium
New Hartford, NY

The reason at the beginning of the download it does that with the higher speeds then drops is because it has already downloaded some of it while you find where you want it saved, etc. So then it slows down to normal speed which is what you are really downloading it at.
--

System

Yes, that's right, re: file downloads.

Update on my @Home situation. I think I've just been capped. At Speakeasy, Chicago, my downloads now max at 2900kbps. My uploads haven't changed.

It didn't happen gradually, and I haven't changed a thing. I noticed the change a couple days ago, at about three in the morning.

Folks in Northbrook and Zion are still getting better than 4Meg, though.

If you get to the @Home speed test archives, check out 606-- area code, for a look at what cable looks like. I'd ignore all the 8meg results, though. Seems those were all a hoax, due to a reporting fault, from what I've been told at the Tweaks Forum.

Sure glad I got my Office 2000 Premium upgrade/patches taken care of already. I'd be waiting forever at my current speeds.

hockeyfun1$
Down With Dc Exec
Premium
New Hartford, NY

Do these people have the same exact service as you?

There always is a business account too.

I guess what I mean is do they have the same exact provider as you?
--

hockeyfun1$
Down With Dc Exec
Premium
New Hartford, NY
reply to Anon

Just checked...

Albee1 25th 60626 @home 5081/125 18 afour1.il.home.com
Albee1 31st 60626 @home 5081/129 15 afour1.il.home.com

Everyone above you has different services other than one or two other people with @Home, but they are right above you, so it does not make much of a difference.

By the looks of things your fine.
--

System

Yes, I don't believe I can tweak this thing any better than it is. I did find the top of my RWIN range (looking at packet loss and transfer speeds) and backed my RWIN down a good margin from that, to try to accommodate the effect of Code Red on things (latency, etc.)

Anyway, looks like those 5Meg downloads will be nothing but fond memories, now.

hockeyfun1$
Down With Dc Exec
Premium
New Hartford, NY

Your 2900 download speeds might be something to do with the time of day and how many people are on because of it.

Go on at 3 or 4 am and try it out.

@Home could have recently subscribed more people, etc in your area.
--

System

It was at about 3Am I had the speeds drop off, never to return.

Also, when the traffic gets really heavy, I'd see a low of 4000kbs/down. I'm well aware of the patterns here, as I work from home quite a bit - though not on the computer.

Anyway, don't mean to be OT, just thought someone here might benefit from my experience of what cable speeds I've seen from tweaking, since in theory, RCN & @Home are very similar, structurally. It's a selfish gambit, actually. I'd like to see what is possible from users of the RCN network, when users tweak their systems, cause I want a go-to option, vs. AT&T. I'm also not happy with signing up at $39.99, and being billed at $49.99.

hockeyfun1$
Down With Dc Exec
Premium
New Hartford, NY

3000 kbps vs 4000 kbps is not too bad since cable speeds never stay the same because people are always on since it is shared.

You should try and call them and ask why you were billed for $49.99 but you signed up for $39.99. Are you sure they didn't tell you anything that the price was going up?

RCN speeds are around 1500 kbps download (everything varies), and upload is around 800 kbps.

Is the AT&T Road Runner? I know speeds are different for each area it seems all over the country.
--

System

No, it's @Home.

I did confront them about the price increase. I signed up for a free self-install, first month free, and upon the second month, found out they had a price increase. They offered me another free month, so that's what I got out of it.

Btw, the change in dl was from 5Meg to less than three. My tested speeds normall hovered between 4.5Meg and 5Meg. Now, they're bouncing from 2Meg up to 2.9Meg. (Chicago test site)

I dl'd a test file from the OOL test site today, and it ended up at an average of 318kbps.

Looks like RCN is catering more to gamers. I hear lots of @Home users complaining about the impact of the 128kbs cap on their gaming.

So, 1500 is about tops, all tweaked out?

How much are you paying?

hockeyfun1$
Down With Dc Exec
Premium
New Hartford, NY

There are the Resilink packages, so prices are different.

2-3 mbps isn't bad.
--

HarHar

@home.com
reply to wizzy

We tried RCN around Western and Peterson in Chicago. We though AT&T@Home was bad. RCN was total crapola. It took them a week to get the modem working. They went through about 20 shark fins before they realized they had to upgrade the headend to recognize the newer firmware in the modems.

Once they got that done I sat down and gave it a try. As a simple test I downloaded a large file from ftp.enteract.com which is who RCN bought out in Chicago. It was IE 3.0 for windows if I remember; about 7 megs. I was lucky to get 50 KBps. Yes bytes. That's not right. We call them and they agree. They take another few days to "check the lines." No problems there.

After we continue bitching a supervisor which we later learned was the supervisor of dispatching (eye roll please!) comes out with their so called "best tech" to see the problem for themselves.

The tech plugs his laptop into the modem and proceeds to load their flim-flam speed test web page. I say big deal and explain what we've been getting from the ftp server. The tech asks what ftp is. At that point I was ready to smash. They have people maintaining their Internet service that don't know what ftp is?? This was the last straw.

I ask if I can use his laptop and I bring up the command line. I ftp into ftp.enteract.com and demonstrate by downloading IE 3. After twenty or so seconds he asks for the laptop back. He thinks the download was finished. I give it back and he's wondering why there isn't a command line. I tell him to hold on. After another minute and a half or so the download finally finishes and he turns to me and says "So why are you downloading Internet Explorer?"

Time to pull out the big guns. We still have our @Home connection. First I connect the RCN cable modem to our iMac and download IE again. We're getting 50 KBps. Then I plug in the ATT@Home modem and blow them away. The broadband gods were smiling on us that day. While the RCN fools were standing there AT&T@Home and I destroyed RCN by downloading at 500KBps from RCNs own ftp server.

After that they said they would get their data people to figure it out. Another week of them dancing around the issue and we told them to get their crap out of the house.

I see now RCN is screwing people even more. AT&T@Home had their share of problems but they've always been respectful and at least pretended to give a crap.

hockeyfun1$
Down With Dc Exec
Premium
New Hartford, NY

It seems different areas get different problems or results. When I first was using RCN I was getting lame-o speeds like that. Now at least I can get 120 KB/s +, with an upload of 95 KB/s.

I was getting about the same speeds as you. Then they upgraded.

Maybe they still had some upgrading to do in your area.

PS. You should join DSLR! We have many things to do, and a lot of forums to have fun!
--

HarHar

@home.com

Actually they finished building out their crap about a year before the fiasco. I still can't believe how little they know about how their network finctioned.