how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DG2005

join:2004-12-29
RUSSIA

[Other] UPNP command line tool

I was trying to find a way to open an incoming port on my router from my PC, I found Intel UPNP utilities, but I cant find any command line tool for UPNP
What I need is to open incoming port on router using command prompt. (not web interface or some utilities from manufacturer of router).
Something like "netsh firewall add portopening" on SP2 firewall, will be perfect.
//I have seen Azureus mapping port on my router
If anybody have any ideas please help.
thanks

normanzhang

join:2004-09-03
Calgary, AB
Your best bet is to ask your router technical support. They will know about the hidden commands that the box will take.

On my Linksys router, I go into the web interface turn on UPNP, start Azuerus. Everything works fine. You also need to enable UPNP on XP if FW is enabled.

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
kudos:11
reply to DG2005
What router do you have?

DG2005

RUSSIA
reply to DG2005
The problem is that I want this program to work on any router (I don't know the type of router in the environment program will run), so I was looking for something universal.

I have D-Link DI-624, it works fine with all utilities from Intel and Web GUI.

// I'll take a look how Azureus is doing portmaping, maybe there is something useful there.

//Sry for my English, just came here.

normanzhang

Calgary, AB
May I ask what program you want to run on every router?

DG2005

RUSSIA
reply to DG2005
What I need is a command line program that will run on PC and open incoming port on router. Parameters (like port and router address) passed through arguments to program.

huyvu

join:2001-03-25
kudos:1
reply to DG2005
No offense but this sounds like the beginning of a trojan or virus.

DG2005

RUSSIA
reply to DG2005
No, its not trojan\virus. If I needed a virus\trojan I wouldn't really need incoming port. (All commands to trojan can be picked up from some page\file_on_ftp in internet.)
And how will I include this command line tool into my virus?
(I need command line, because I want this program to be tiny in size. (some of my friends use dial-up...))

What Im doing is a program to help people (my friends, I m tired explaining what to do and what to check, over the phone) with software problems, when they need help, they just run 1 exe that installs everything, after that I can get in.

djtim21
It's all good
Premium
join:2003-12-22
Lake Villa, IL
said by DG2005:

they just run 1 exe that installs everything, after that I can get in.
I hate to say this, but that's the way Trojans and Virus's are made
--
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.” - Edmund Burke

DG2005

RUSSIA
lol, yea.
But try to ask basic windows user to install "telnet" like program, few diagnostic utilities, and open incoming port on router... + something already is not working on their system.
especially when some .dll (like msvcrtxx) is missing ... yea
And do it 3-4 times a week, I m tired of that, and that's why I want this program...
//I wish I had time for writing a virus. j\k

spie34
Hmm
Premium
join:2004-01-06
Boise, ID
reply to DG2005
I don't know why having this program will work if they are unable to access the net? If you are at home why do you need a program to access your network and open up a port when you can go into the interface yourself?

It seems to me that when your friends are having problems you are wanting them to connect to you at your home. So open up the port have them connect and away you go.

Otherwise i am not sure why you need to have a port open up on your system.

But give azureus a try and see what happens. It seems to me as well they have a router that is capable of dialing up so you are trying to get into their computer that way.

DG2005

RUSSIA
Most of the time they are able to access net, opening port on my router is just to see if it will work.
When my friends have a problems, I want them to start my program (single exe), that will install "telnet" like remote shell, diagnostic utilities that will help me to find what's wrong when I ll get in, and open a port so I can get in. They are not accessing my router\network.
On my system I was trying to open port just to verify if it will work.

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe
Ever heard of VNC? That what I'm using to manage my parents and several of my friends PCs.
VNC is running all the time as service and it only needs one port forwarded.
If your friends does not want to have it running always all you have to do is to create an icon on the desktop for them to double click to start VNC server.

There are may VNC clones, I personally prefer Ultr@VNC because it has encryption and file transfer support, see »ultravnc.sourceforge.net

There are other options as RADMIN or windows native desktop sharing.

You can also install a free SSH daemon on windows and ssh into the machine, see »www.openssh.com

normanzhang

Calgary, AB
reply to DG2005
Why reinvent the wheel when you've got SSH, PuTTY? I hope your friends won't get mad at you when your program crashes their computers or introduces risks. With other people's program you always have escape clause.

DG2005

RUSSIA
reply to Brano
reply to Beaujolais:
Yes, I used VNC (I think it was realVNC)(and VNcon) a lot, but I remember VNC needed 2 ports with 100 ports range between each other and you could set this port (2nd port was -100 ports) only by editing registry.
Other thing was that VNC was very slow compared to Radmin (which I prefer) and some of my friends using dial-up, so I was thinking just ab remote shell.
I will check Ultr@VNC out, thanks. Still something have to open a port on router (also when I asked my friend to open port using WEB GUI, default password was not correct for that model of router, and no one in the family knew\changed it... \\also there is a chance she was trying to login to MSN j\k ).

reply to normanzhang:
I m not reinventing things, actually I m using well known shell . Also as I know PuTTY is only a client, not a server, correct me if I m wrong. All my program do is Install everything, that's it. in case of crash ..well.. it was complication of problem they had before , don't think couple command line utilities will crash a system (especially M$ Windows XP )

//Seems like no one ever seen what I need

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
Burlington, ON
VNC only needs one port, by default 5900 when connecting via VNCviewer or 5800 when connecting via web browser.

normanzhang

Calgary, AB
reply to DG2005
I assume you charge for your services. If not please write a FAQ on DSL and point your friends to it. Please note I'm not against you helping your friend. It seems a FAQ will help many more and saves you time...

DG2005

RUSSIA
Of course I m not charging anything. They all my friends.

I think best FAQ will be on formatting hdd and installing windows tho...
well i don't have time, and everybody will think I m trying to get rid of them + problem still will exist I will have to connect anyway

flw
Security Is Like An Onion, It Has Layers
Premium
join:2004-01-04
reply to DG2005
I'm still not sure if it's just for your friend's, why reinvent the wheel? As others have mentioned several methods of remote access but you want one cmd line for all.

Cisco can't even keep a consistence command structure. If you use a cmd in 11.x on one cisco router, it may not work on another cisco router with 11.y iso or put the display in a endless loop.

Either gui or cli, networking and security industries/end users don't need or want a single method to open any remote port on any router with any iso since the downside would far out way any upside.
--
"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" »www.byronil.org

DG2005

RUSSIA
How can I get in (via anything) if all ports are filtered?
I said that non graphical utility is preferred because of the low bandwidth some people have.
Problem not in what to use, problem is how to connect?
Also I was thinking ab UPNP because it is Universal Plug n Play, and any UPNP compatible device (which most home routers are) will work.

normanzhang

Calgary, AB

1 edit
Why don't you post your utilities or program somewhere? I'm sure others would be more than happy to test it for you on their routers.

DG2005

RUSSIA
Im looking for such utility to open port myself. Other utilities don't have anything to do with router, just hardware\software diagnostic, and were already tested 100x times.
well if you want, here you can take them:

»www.intel.com/technology/UPnP/do···tm#tools
»www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/utilities.shtml
»www.microsoft.com/windows2000/te···ault.asp
»sourceforge.net/projects/smartmontools/

I advice not to test this programs on your routers
(except Intel UPNP).

So, people have you ever seen UPNP command line utility that can open an incoming port on router? Or I have to learn UPNP API and write damn program myself?