All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ngentot
join:2004-01-12
New York, NY

ngentot

[modem/router] Wireless Light Keeps Blinking - Is This Normal?

Hi,

I have that 3mb DSL from Verizon and the modem (router?) they gave me was Westell VersaLink Model 327W. Everything works fine except that the green light that says "Wireless" keeps on blinking.

I asked Verizon about this and they said the modem was defective and sent me a replacement. But the replacement modem does the same thing. I wonder if this is how it's supposed to be.

Did anyone have the same experience? I'm currently using my DSL just for 1 PC, so no wireless device or anything. Is that why it's blinking maybe?

Thanks.

mikepd
Discovery
Premium Member
join:2000-10-26
New Port Richey, FL

mikepd

Premium Member

Re: [modem/router] Wireless Light Keeps Blinking - Is This Norma

The wireless light blinking is an indication of LAN traffic in either direction according to the manual. I would ignore it or if it bothers you, get another Versalink swap. The firmware seems to have been rushed on this and I would hope a more mature version will be forthcoming as the 2200 was upgraded to resolve some authentication problems that it had for those who were in ex-BA areas.

Mike

va_scooter
Premium Member
join:2004-11-29
Spotsylvania, VA

va_scooter to ngentot

Premium Member

to ngentot
Just curious...does it stop blinking almost entirely after several days? I have mine set up with both a desktop on ethernet and a wireless laptop. The laptop is only on and connected usually a few hours a day.
I've noticed after rebooting the modem the wireless indicator will blink constantly for a couple of days, regardless if laptop is connected or not. Then mysteriously all of a sudden it stays solid green.

Eddy2
@prtc.net

Eddy2 to ngentot

Anon

to ngentot

Re: [modem/router] Wireless Light Keeps Blinking -

From the Versalink manual (pdf file)

==
WIRELESS
Solid Green Link Established.
Flashing Green Wireless LAN activity is present (traffic in either direction).
OFF Modem power is OFF or No Link.
==

With disbelief that the script moneys at Verizon did not find the issue "blinking wireless light" and sent replacement modem.
It seems to me there is some "situation" within the Verizon departments that any reported observation about the DSL/Versalink, permanent of configureable, is answered "you get new modem", as if they want to get rid of the current stock in a hurry

va_scooter
Premium Member
join:2004-11-29
Spotsylvania, VA

va_scooter

Premium Member

said by Eddy2:

With disbelief that the script moneys at Verizon did not find the issue "blinking wireless light" and sent replacement modem.
It seems to me there is some "situation" within the Verizon departments that any reported observation about the DSL/Versalink, permanent of configureable, is answered "you get new modem", as if they want to get rid of the current stock in a hurry
My experience with Vz suppt. on the versalink is that many techs have absolutley 0 knowledge or training on it's setup and features. If I was a Verizon shareholder I would be pissed at the waste of money. I can just imagine an entire warehouse being filled up with returned 327s:D Of course they are probably just sending them right back out again :D

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo to ngentot

MVM

to ngentot

The wireless component of the Versalink is ON by default. As a result the LED blinks fast. Have you disabled the wireless (as you do not need it)? That will turn the LED off.

Nezmo
stony1
join:2004-04-13
Mineola, NY

stony1 to ngentot

to ngentot
blinking because of another router in area interfering try changing the channel

Bill Av
Premium Member
join:2004-12-26
Richmond Hill, NY

Bill Av to Nezmo

Premium Member

to Nezmo
I agree with Nezmo; if you don't use the wireless connection TURN IT OFF (or enable WEP if you do). If you live in NYC and the WiFi is left on, someone WILL use your connection. I can't tell you how many open connections I see just driving down the street. With that said, the flashing light is completely normal; I just turned the WiFi on and the light started flashing.
ngentot
join:2004-01-12
New York, NY

ngentot

Thanks for all the replies. That flashing light has misteriously gone steady now. And it's with my original modem, not the replacement. I'm going to send the replacement back.

BTW, how can I turn off the wireless feature? Everytime I ask Verizon they always say the don't support anything beyond installation. In other words, once your connection is working, their job is done and you're on your own.

Xcree
@cox.net

Xcree

Anon

Re: [modem/router] Wireless Light Keeps Blinking -

Browser > 192.168.1.1

Login to the modem.

Click on "Configuration" near the top of the screen.

Click on "Wireless" from the menu.

For "Wireless Operation" select Disable.

Save the settings.

brooklynman4
join:2004-09-07
Brewster, NY

brooklynman4 to ngentot

to ngentot

U might have to generate a wep keys to lock the router from others acessesing ure network.Its like wi-fi people can use ure bandwith
AmethystTech
join:2005-01-12
Irving, TX

AmethystTech to ngentot

to ngentot
If you're not using the wireless connection, turn it off.

If you are using the wireless connection, you need to enable WEP. Otherwise anyone with wireless capability can access your connection.

brooklynman4
join:2004-09-07
Brewster, NY

brooklynman4 to ngentot

to ngentot
Ok i see his old post yeah just disable wireless since ure not using it ..