share rss forum feed

dslx_gm
Premium,VIP
join:2002-12-26
Chatsworth, CA
kudos:17
reply to meknow

Re: 5 Dynamic IP(s) - what this means?

The SBC tool that shows the line readings is currently busy. If there are too many tests on it at one time it will not allow anyone to run anymore test for a specific time period. I will try it again in a little bit and get back to you.
--
Will work for reviews.

meknow

join:2004-10-07
Los Angeles, CA
reply to meknow
Thank you.
I will leave it as phone disconneted for at least 1 hour.
Meanswhile let me know if there is other things I can do improve situation. I have to stay with you guys at least for 12 month avoid early termination and the current speed is not acceptable for me but over the minimum requirement.

I have three dedicated line intalled when I have 3 sdsl from northpoint. Install customer side POT spliter and use those lines is my next resource I can try I can think of at this point...

Thank you for your help.

dslx_gm
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA
Line readings look a little better but not too much.

DN STREAM SPEED The line is running at 672 kbps, which is 56% below the maximum bit rate of 1536 kbps.
UP STREAM SPEED The line is running at the maximum bit rate of 384 kbps.
DN STREAM S/N The line noise margin equals the target noise margin of 6dB.
UP STREAM S/N The line noise margin is 15dB, which is above the target noise margin of 6dB.
DN STREAM POWER The line power is 16dBm, which is below the maximum of 20 dBm, but it cannot be increased because individual tones are operating at their maximum level.
UP STREAM POWER The line power is 12dBm, which is below the maximum of 13dBm.
DN STREAM LINE CAPACITY The line is running at 79% of relative capacity on downstream transmission path.
UP STREAM LINE CAPACITY The line is running at 60% of relative capacity on upstream transmission path.

Do you have the ability to plug in at the MPOE or install a POTS splitter? Testing it at the MPOE would show if install a POTS splitter would help.
--
Will work for reviews.

meknow

Los Angeles, CA
reply to meknow
I'm not sure about MPOE. I'm living community house or PUD, we have single power hous all the line come from like building or apartment. There is another access point in my house where all the line come from in the middle of powerhouse to my house.

So I can interrupt in the middle of incomming line before it come to my house. I think I can install POTS spliter at that point. I will cut the line and put the modem at that point and test it tomorrow. Hope this will do the trick.

Is there any recommendation on POTS splitter.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to meknow
The part about picking up the phone and losing sync sounds like there may be an MTU on the line...might have SBC check for that, if the test is still bad.

-- Rob
--
\\ROB - a part of the SCB local network

Bill
Premium,VIP
join:2001-12-09
I used to have a problem with if I made an outgoing phone call, I would loose sync. It turned out I didn't have the alarm system filtered properly.

meknow

Los Angeles, CA
reply to meknow
djrobx,Sw Bill,
Thanks for the suggestion.
Both suggestion is worth to take a look.
djrobx, Sorry but I'm not quite sure what MTU on the line mean here. Should I ask about it to DSLExtreme or SBC directly?

Sw Bill, I'm not quite sure wether I had problem when I have incomming call, I will check out. I believe the alaram was installed it's own dedicated line but at this point I can not assume anything. Actually I just ask alaram company to ignore any activity in my house since I will disconnect alarm also to make sure my line is clean.

Could you tell me how do I properly filter alaram system? In worst case, I will cancel alaram if this was a problem Right now I can see the line goto alarm system and the alarm box is inside house. I notice 4 line is related to phone in the box. But I will unplug all the line and power down alarm system including backup battery to make sure...

If all of this in vein, I will just trash this DSL line and reactivate cable which was horrible but better then current line. I just notice that the early termination fee was almost equal to my remaining commitment. Worst case I will have nice backup internet line...

Bill
Premium,VIP
join:2001-12-09
I just called the alarm company up and they came out and installed the filter for free The connector on my alarm wasn't RJ-11, so I couldn't use the filters DSLX provided, I'm not sure what your alarm system looks like though.
--
Secure-Wifi.Net is now open for buisness in the LA/OC area.
MRTG stats on my Linksys WRT54GS

meknow

Los Angeles, CA
reply to meknow
Good news.

I cut line and make dedicated line to modem. The other line is open for now so no phone service.

I just did speed test. Now I'm getting 600K (200K increase)
Not sure this will be the maximum I will get or will be increased if I wait few more day.

I'm search ebay for pots filter now. BTW I found faq about how to make pots filter with self install kit. I will try it today.

dslx_tech: If you saw this, could you do line read one more time? Many thanks.

Thanks.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO

1 edit
reply to meknow
If you have/had an alarm system it's very important to get the DSL filtered out and a line run *before* the alarm system gets involved with the line. Just "shutting off" the alarm won't do it.

The way an alarm works is the line coming into the home runs straight into the alarm. It then runs back from the alarm to the rest of the phones in the house. This way the alarm system can still make its call if the theif picks up a phone in the house.

Typically this means you'll have wires coming in at the NID, then from there, a bundle running to the alarm. The 1st pair in the bundle will be connected to the real phone line. The the 2nd pair (coming FROM the alarm) will be connected to the rest of the wiring in the home.

The MTU check would be something DSLExtreme would have SBC check. Getting the DSL filtered properly so that it can work with the alarm is definitely the first priority though.
--
\\ROB - a part of the SCB local network

meknow

Los Angeles, CA
reply to meknow
djrobx,
Thanks for the advice. I may ask about MTU as a last resource since splitting from pot seems like working.

The alram system supposed to run from cummunity phone line not mine and that's why I thought it's on dedicated line. Still your statement could be possible since now I'm not sure what was going on in my house and splitting pot line work.

I received new phone filter today and it work also. No sync lost by pickup the phone.

I was happy with their support but disapointed with speed. Now I may able to give them high score..
Now I'm hitting 700K... hope it go further more.

meknow

Los Angeles, CA
reply to meknow
I'm stuck at 700K now. Will this be my maximum?
A lot better then 400K before still not enough.:(

dslx_gm
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA
Line readings got a bit better and the sync rate did go up.

DN STREAM SPEED The line is running at 992 kbps, which is 35% below the maximum bit rate of 1536 kbps.
DN STREAM S/N The line noise margin is 4dB, which is below the target noise margin 6dB and above the minimum noise margin of 0dB.
UP STREAM S/N The line noise margin is 16dB, which is above the target noise margin of 6dB.
DN STREAM POWER The line power is 17dBm, which is below the maximum of 20 dBm, but it cannot be increased because individual tones are operating at their maximum level.
UP STREAM POWER The line power is 11dBm, which is below the maximum of 13dBm.
DN STREAM LINE CAPACITY The line is already running at 93% of relative capacity on downstream transmission path.
UP STREAM LINE CAPACITY The line is running at 56% of relative capacity on upstream transmission path.
--
Will work for reviews.

meknow

Los Angeles, CA
reply to meknow
dslx_tech,
Will it be my maximum?
Any chance to go up after few days? I saw post stating wait 10 days to get maximum speed. Does my line also apply this rule?

Any other suggestion to get better performance? I just order POT spliter but not sure how much this will improve my line. Currently I just split and put filter which came with self install kit on phone line and the other directly to modem.

Thanks

dslx_gm
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA
The ramp up wouldn't apply for you since the problem is with the line readings themselves not being good. At this state that is the best you will get from the line. I would venture to say that installing the POTS splitter will probably help though.
--
Will work for reviews.

meknow

Los Angeles, CA
reply to meknow
thank you.

I just give up at this point that I saw the max I can get is 600L when my modem is directly connected to pot line without phpne line. And now it drop to 200K for unknown reason.

I think dslextrem support was excellent. I can not imagine how they can keep up good support with those cheap price. I would recommend them whoever ask me.

DSL wise, I think my area is not ready for them yet.I sign up DSL after I heard there was provision etc... on the line in my area. I will not recoomend DSL in my area if anyone interested.

There was another cable provider in my area. Eventhough they are expensive, I heard they have good network so I'll sign up with them. Now I have very expensive backup internet line but almost same amount I paid dialup few years ago. So I should not compalin.

This was nice experience to talk over forum.
Thank you all of you. Especially dslx_tech.

meknow

Los Angeles, CA
reply to meknow
After trouble in my area, now I'm in 300K down....
Now I wish to get 700K...
I hope there is way to cancel this line without early termination fee...

dslx_gm
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA
I checked your line readings and you are still synced at just above 900. Based on the testing you have done thus far it looks like you are having internal wiring problems. Not to beat a dead horse but a POTS splitter would probably help.

Here are your current line readings.

DN STREAM SPEED The line is running at 928 kbps, which is 39% below the maximum bit rate of 1536 kbps.
DN STREAM S/N The line noise margin is 4dB, which is below the target noise margin 6dB and above the minimum noise margin of 0dB.
UP STREAM S/N The line noise margin is 15dB, which is above the target noise margin of 6dB.
DN STREAM POWER The line power is 17dBm, which is below the maximum of 20 dBm, but it cannot be increased because individual tones are operating at their maximum level.
UP STREAM POWER The line power is 11dBm, which is below the maximum of 13dBm.
DN STREAM LINE CAPACITY The line is already running at 93% of relative capacity on downstream transmission path.
UP STREAM LINE CAPACITY The line is running at 58% of relative capacity on upstream transmission path.
--
Will work for reviews.