uniqs
Expand your moderator at work

Goggles
@81.144.178.x

Goggles to justin

Anon

to justin

Re: WoW for complete MMORPG beginners

Bring friends (or have an irl friend playing it already). It SUCKS to play this game alone. Maybe not when vanilla was out, but if you start playing it alone, there is no way you won't be insulted and told off for atleast a couple of months.

Draakas
My YOLO has so much SWAG
join:2010-02-19

Draakas

My mom and sister Flame me more than u guys for playing the game at all! HAHAHAHAH

yea i does suck to have ur fun and not share it. and it also sucks when the other person is a faceroller at the game lol

Goggles
@81.144.178.x

Goggles to justin

Anon

to justin
The leveling experience in Cata, especially from 1-10 has been almost completely altered. I believe it should be much easier for new players, but I have to try it out for myself by opening a new alt. I am just hoping Blizz will help out new players by advice, etc. once they reach level cap.

ElminsterOld
join:2009-03-04

ElminsterOld to justin

to justin
I wonder how much Cat will change this info.
ksharp250
join:2010-09-24
Middletown, PA

ksharp250 to justin

to justin
Some things I learned too that may help. I learned these lessons the "hard" way from mostly playing casual/solo. Not being in guilds for instances caused some mistakes.

1.) CC (Crowd Control) - If you join a PUG (pick-up group) for running an instance and you have some CC abilities as a Hunter or Mage, but there is another Hunter/Mage in the group, sometimes its better to let them CC if they seem to know what they are doing and you are still learning the concept. It can be counterproductive to run.

ESPECIALLY Warlocks. Warlocks have some powerful Fear abilities, but just because mobs can be "feared" does not green light you to do so...because 9 times out of 10 fearing that one guy away from your healer will make them run to a mob not yet pulled and create an add. Its bad. And you get cussed out.

2.) Talent specs - If you dont understand what talents really benefit and what doesnt yet, its not a bad idea to check common specs from Thottbot and other sources. Yes you may get accused of being "cookie cutter" copy, but in most cases, these specs are there because they work. And copying spec talent layouts can help teach what you need.

There are also two types of specs. Some that are for leveling purposes to help you solo/level others for end game raiding. A level spec of talents will not aid you past a certain point so after level 55 or so, look to respec based on how common end game specs are layed out in posts,etc.

These 2 things helped me out tons. In my opinion anyway.
PuffTMD
join:2010-02-05
Escondido, CA

PuffTMD

said by windowseat:

Just a piece of advice.
And a very BAD piece at that....

Jehoida
@arkansasedc.com

Jehoida to justin

Anon

to justin

I am totally new, just loaded the game, played for about an hour a couple of nights ago.

I am completely disappointed if this is what it is. I cannot move my player except with the arrows. Please tell me that I can use the pointer to go to a spot on the map?

Thanks for your hints...like you, I want to play and not read a manual...I need all the help I can get.
Xeno
join:2010-11-30
Charlotte, NC

Xeno

said by Jehoida :

I am totally new, just loaded the game, played for about an hour a couple of nights ago.

I am completely disappointed if this is what it is. I cannot move my player except with the arrows. Please tell me that I can use the pointer to go to a spot on the map?

Thanks for your hints...like you, I want to play and not read a manual...I need all the help I can get.

Omg. I hate moving by clicking but there is an option to do it that way I believe. At work and can't look it up but when in game, Press Esc to bring up the game menu, then go to Interface. Somewhere in there I believe is an option so you can click to move.

Sorry I can't be more specific but I'm blocked from 99% of the internet here.
FrigemSA
join:2010-10-08

FrigemSA

You can click the right and left mouse buttons together to move...this is by default.
ksharp250
join:2010-09-24
Middletown, PA

ksharp250 to justin

to justin
Obvious question not to be snarky...but..why cant you use the W S A D keys for movement?

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic to justin

Premium Member

to justin

Thank you for this thread. I'm very late to the party but caught a horrible bug and was home for a couple of days so tried the WoW free trial...and bought it the following day. Loving it. You've answered a couple of burning questions I had. I have yet to do any instances so I imagine I'll come up with more. Just wanted to let you know that this five and a half year old thread is still doing some good.

Anchorz
@202.162.18.x

Anchorz

Anon

OMG, 6 years and still.... going stong,... this is a class act thread... thanks a bunch to the author,.. (R.I.P. if you are not around anymore) :-P
feralCat
join:2011-03-05
Babbitt, MN

feralCat to justin

to justin
Earning gold and not Begging in /2 should be Very Very high on your list of beginning WoW. At level one you can get the herbing profession but waiting till about level 5 might be best. As you quest you can pick herbs. When you have 20 [which is the max you can have in one bag slot for herbs is called a stack though some things can only reach 5 or 10 per stack] take them to the AH [auction house] and shift click the item to be sold and hit search. Look at the first stack of 20 to see what the lowest buy price is for that herb. Hover over the icon on the left to see what each piece is selling for in that stack. Now look at the single herb sales [yes some sell singles for those that want only a few for matts [materials to use to make something]. If the single price is far below what the stacks are selling for [stack divided by total price to come up with per herb price which the hover tells you] then adjust your price to be just below that. So herb X is selling for 20 gold a stack or one gold each. Now if some peeps are selling singles for 50 silver each your 1 gold each may not sell real fast. On the other hand more advanced players with tons of gold will go for the stack of 20 at one gold each instead of clicking 20 separate buys. Saves em time in the mail pick up as well not having to click 20 different mailings. Mail?.. you can use the mail to store stuff as well. If the lowest price for a stack is at 20 gold sell yours for 19 gold to sell quick. Some greedy people will undercut for a copper or a silver. I say have some balls and do a more substantial undercut. You'll have a much quicker sale. Your first herbs will not sell for much but most realms will be around 1 to 4 gold a stack for starter herbs. Pretty good jing for a new toon [sorta]. You should have more than one toon [character]. This way you can mail stuff to that alt [alternative] of yours to have him hold stuff. The mail sits in his mailbox for 30 days then automatically gets sent back to your box where it sits for another 30 days. Just a way to keep stuff without filling up your bank. As mentioned before there are color coded things like gear and weapons etc. All grey worded items are junk and Worthless known in WoW as Vendor Trash. Sell all grey items. White items except for a very very few are worthless as well.

In Game Whispers from hacker spammer dingle berry chewers: A Blizzard Employee will Never send you a Whisper. If they ever contact you in game it will come in the form the hackers can't duplicate. It'll start in the chat window and look like no other chat with Blizz blue icon. click that and it will open a chat window that will have the Blue Blizzard logo and be in the upper area of your screen on the left. From hackers you'll see things like "system scan to your account" followed by more stupid things telling you you've done something wrong so you have to go to their hacker.com web site and give all your game data and password [they don't speak English well and it comes out as gamers call it "Engrish"]. Don't fall for it and Yes many unedjamkated players fall for it. Right click the users name and select Report Spam... do that in the main chat windows of /1 and /2 as well when you see hackerdingleberrychewingdotcom ads for gold buying. Doing that removes them from your screen making it so you don't see them again.
Type /1 in a chat window which puts your chat out to only those in the city you are in. When outside of a city use /1 as well and the same thing happens, only those in your area will see your chat. When not in a city you can only use /1 not /2. Type /2 to send your chats to every main city and this one can be used only when in a city. You can use /say or /yell to put out chat to a smaller area than the ones above as well. type /dance and you'll dance. type /silly and you'll tell a joke though only those in your group will here that. click on a toon and type /smack and those around you will see "[your toons name] smacks [name of your target] upside the head. There are many many more which you'll learn along the way.
Shift clicking a players name will tell you where they are, how many are in their group if they are grouped, their level and what guild they are in if they are in one.
Buying gold............... NO............... You buy some gold [from hacker websites ... Blizz catches you and you lose your account.. fun right?.... many lazy loser players buy gold on line. They get the gold in game which by the way was stolen from a hacked WoW account there by perpetuating account hacking's and promoting thieves and losers to roam our game making a mess of things. They also use rooms full of teeny boppers farming WoW. Instead of playing the game they sit for hours and hours farming herbs and ore and selling in the AH so they have gold to sell to the losers that buy gold from hackerdotcom. Don't Buy Gold online... only losers do that. These gold selling hacker losers will also send you a whisper or in game mail telling you that you won a pet or some other nonsense, again don't fall for it. You'll see in /2 that some is selling the Rocket flying mount... Bull... you can't buy it in game. Along with learning the game there are many things you need to learn to keep from being scammed. Another common tactic is the Engrish speakers will ask you for a few silver to "buy a bag".... More bull S*&^. They use the silver/gold to send in game mail concerning their hacker schemes. Don't give beggars gold and don't beg for gold,,, it is frowned on. K done for now go get em...
ZERODA
join:2011-07-06

ZERODA to justin

to justin
i am a beginner of playing games and the most popular game i have ever heard is WOW.
i do learn so many thing from this forum.
so i want to say thank you .