FIOS is Awesome
Premium Member
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY

PhoenixDown to justin

Premium Member

to justin

Re: WoW for complete MMORPG beginners

I use lootlink which is similiar with the auctioneer plug-in to tell me how much it goes for at the AH. Check the plug in thread for more info.

skyroket8
join:2001-06-11
Colorado, US

skyroket8 to DoubleT8

to DoubleT8
said by DoubleT8:

Is it better to turn in a quest right away, or can it wait?
It is better to turn it in right away due to the fact that the exp reward you get from it is based on your level relative to the quest level (if you get Cosmos UI (»www.cosmosui.org) it will tell you the level of the quest in your quest log).

For instance, I just turned in a level 6 quest on my 53 Shaman, and I got about 8 exp, whereas, if I was level 6, I might've got about 200. (the quest was for some Slumber Sand, to put mobs to sleep for 20 seconds, and I wanted some on my shaman!!)

Same thing applies for discovery/exploration exp. If you go discover a newbie land when you're level 40 or 50, it will give you like 4 exp. But if you were level 2 or 3, it might give you 30 or 40 exp.

This is awesome...I didn't know we had a WoW forum here.

Jay_
Formerly known as Carnage
Premium Member
join:2001-05-15
Pickering On

Jay_ to Descent

Premium Member

to Descent
said by Descent:

better to turn in right away, asap. as you go up, the experience points dont go up or down, but the amount required for you to level up does.
The XP DOES goes go down. Hence the color scheme in the quest window. A red quest will give you more exp then a orange quest... which in turn gives you more then Yellow.. etc all the way down to grey.

Always turn in your quests as soon as you finish them. Dont hang on to them.

Mikey
Premium Member
join:2001-03-12
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Mikey

Premium Member

said by Jay_:
said by Descent:

better to turn in right away, asap. as you go up, the experience points dont go up or down, but the amount required for you to level up does.
The XP DOES goes go down. Hence the color scheme in the quest window. A red quest will give you more exp then a orange quest... which in turn gives you more then Yellow.. etc all the way down to grey.

Always turn in your quests as soon as you finish them. Dont hang on to them.
Yep, gray quests give you NO xp.

Zyncotl
Zed X
Premium Member
join:2002-09-13
Wayne, MI

Zyncotl

Premium Member

said by Mikey:

Yep, gray quests give you NO xp.
They give xp, just very very very little. I got 8 xp just last night from a gray.
Expand your moderator at work

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA

SixOfNine to justin

Premium Member

to justin

Finally entered WoW this past weekend, trying a human mage first. What a blast! A couple of ultra-noob pointers:

- Try not to fat-finger the 'x' key when you're trying to retreat.

- That first quest to kill 10 kobold vermin? Level 3 kobold workers and warriors are NOT vermin, and they're a lot harder for a level 1 mage to kill.

Brian
SixOfNine

SixOfNine to justin

Premium Member

to justin
said by justin:

8. don't bother grouping, or duel, at less than level 10 unless you want to be social. It just wastes time.
As I got into the upper half of those first 10 levels (currently a level 8 mage) with some orange quests, grouping became helpful for me, even on collection quests. It's tough as one of the fragile classes to solo on something like a 10-armband quest. With zilch protection you have to skirt the mobs' territory until you can pick one off without attracting a crowd, and that's pretty time-consuming. Better to join a group with some muscle - then I can just hang back a little and blast from a safe distance. At the very least try to duo with a warrior or a paladin at a similar level.

Brian
ciryadin
join:2005-08-16
Schenectady, NY

1 edit

ciryadin to Descent

to Descent
you are new in world of warcraft if you want in an guild what most the guild need to feel you happy in the guild tell me you can tell me on the forum or ***through IM*** i thank you all for you help
ciryadin

ciryadin

tell me people what do you need in an guild to feel you happy.in my guild is it inportend that everywhan feel happy. but i whanne know what you think whats needed in an guild to feel happy tell me everting thx for helpig

GTJiga
06 GT
Premium Member
join:2002-02-02
Azle, TX

GTJiga

Premium Member

said by ciryadin:

tell me people what do you need in an guild to feel you happy.in my guild is it inportend that everywhan feel happy. but i whanne know what you think whats needed in an guild to feel happy tell me everting thx for helpig
Quit spamming all the damn threads!!!! Make your own freakin topic
ciryadin
join:2005-08-16
Schenectady, NY

ciryadin

heee i make my own topic what do you think i am going so great here

stonhinge
Premium Member
join:2003-07-28
Topeka, KS

stonhinge to justin

Premium Member

to justin
Another tip - shift right click also will auto loot skinning, mining, herbalism, fishing, clams, chests, crates, and pretty much anything that will give you loot with the "use" icon(the gear looking one).

Rogues - See someone selling a lock pick? Don't buy it. You'll get one free with the rogue quest you'll undertake to learn lockpicking.

Not sure of which profession to take? You'll be able to get them in the first or second town from the newbie area. The most useful pairs are skinning/leatherworking, herbalism/alchemy,and mining/blacksmith or engineer. Tailoring doesn't have a match per say, but most who take it also take enchanting. Can you wear leather armor? Leatherworking allows you to make armor that may very well be better than what you can buy or find. Same goes for cloth wearers and tailoring, and mail wearers and blacksmithing. A blacksmith can also create weapons.

Change your mind about what profession(s) you chose? You can change, but all that learned knowledge goes away - even if you go back to that profession.

Cooking is also a reasonable money maker at higher skill levels. That body part you looted off of a beast that sells for 50 copper? If its used in cooking, along with some inexpensive ingredients, often sells for more than the uncooked version, even taking into account the cost of the extra ingredients.

splix
Premium Member
join:2002-02-19
Oakton, VA

splix

Premium Member

I've also heard that First Aid is a very good profession to learn.

glorf
@wilog301.pa.comcast.

glorf to justin

Anon

to justin
im just geting theworld of warcraft i need help i plan to make and undead warrior and use a gun were can i find a trainer to teach me to use a gun:)

Melatonin06
Premium Member
join:2002-02-05
NJ

1 edit

Melatonin06

Premium Member

Warriors use a melee weapon, like a 2 handed axe or sword, or a 1 handed axe or sword and a shield. They only use a gun to get an enemy to attack them.

Gun trained is in IronForge somewhere.

For the Alliance you Hordie!

skyroket8
join:2001-06-11
Colorado, US

2 edits

2 recommendations

skyroket8 to justin

to justin
Hmm, just thought of something new. Assisting.

Terminology:
MA - Main Assist. The person in the group or raid designated to choose a target that which everyone else will attack and kill.

MT - Main Tank. The person designated to tank things that hit really hard. Often times there are multiple MTs. Most of the time, one of the MTs is designated to be the MA, but it does not always have to be that way.

Assisting
When you're going through a dungeon, or even if you just want to see what someone's targetting, you can "assist" them, which is to say, target what they're targetting. The default key for assisting something/someone is F. If I'm targetting a bear, and you target me and hit F, you'll now be targetting the bear.

This comes in really handy when you're running through a dungeon and want to "focus fire". There are several reasons you want to focus fire, that is, when all members of the group kill one specific mob at the same time, then move on to the next.
•To prevent damage to self - If your group pulls 2 mobs, and the warrior is attacking mob A, but you're shooting mob B, mob B is going to come after you. The healer will have to heal you both, which could be a really serious problem if your armor is not designed for tanking (cloth, leather)
•To help healing ease - See previous explanation, and add if only one person is taking damage, the healer(s) only have to concentrate on healing one person, which makes their job much easier in most cases.
•Crowd Control - If multiple mobs are in 1 pull, sometimes it is good to use any method of "crowd control" or "CC". This is the mage spell Polymorph, Rogue sap, Druid root, priest shackle, hunter ice trap, etc. If you don't assist, and kill the same mob, you'll break the CC'd mobs and much chaos is likely to ensue. A lot of times if you're a CC class, you'll want to assist the MA, then target SOMETHING ELSE and CC it - this is to make sure you don't CC what the MT is attacking.

Offtanking
Sometimes, you DON'T want to assist. If you're "off-tanking" a mob, you want to make sure you're NOT targetting the same thing as the main assist. An off-tanking method would be used if there was a limited amount of CC. For example, there are 4 mobs in a pull, but you only have a mage for CC (the mage can only polymorph one thing at a time) so you'd have the warrior tank 1 or 2, mage CC one, and there's 1 leftover, so you'd have to off-tank it. Off-tanking is typically done by the next best class. Shaman or paladin because of their armor, or rogue because of dodge and parry %.

A really good example of offtanking are the 5-mob "core hound packs" in Molten Core. You'll need to specify which mob each warrior is going to tank before they're even pulled, so you have one guy pick the target and say "okay, Johnny, assist me" and then he does another one and says, "okay Sally, assist me" and so on, so he can put everyone on different mobs, so they can be controlled.

Macro and UI
If you do not want to bother with targetting the MT and hitting F all the time (2 steps can be too complicated when you wanna move fast!) you can make a macro, or get a UI mod.

You can TYPE /assist [playername] and it will give you that player's target, or you can just type /assist and it will do the same thing as pressing F. Use this feature and put it into a macro (type /macro or click on it from the main menu, to get into the Macro screen). So if the MA was designated as "JimmyNeutron" I'd put in my macro /assist jimmyneutron (not case sensitive). I'd drag that button to my hotbar, and click it or press the bound key to get my target before each fight! Easy!

Some people have UI mods that show them the target of their target, which makes it easy to see who the mob is targetting and/or what the MA is targetting.

One particular mod a lot of people use is CTRaidAssist (»www.ctmod.net). CTRA has a feature called "MT Targets" which lets the Raid Leader or assistant specify people to show up on your screen, and show their target next to them. This makes it easy to get a target by simply clicking on that window, or pressing the bound key that you can set up. MT Targets also plays a sound whenever YOU show up as the target of one of the MT Targets (bad, if you're not supposed to be tanking it!) so you'll know to vanish, feint, feign death, fade, or run to a new spot to tank it!

All in all, if you have an assist key, any dungeon experience you have will be much easier!

shinjuru

join:2000-10-29
West Coast

1 edit

shinjuru to justin

to justin
Some links to assist players.

Allakhazam: Huge DataBase for everything WOW: Quest, Mobs, Loot. Great site for current market value of items you wish to sell/buy at AH.

ThotBott: Also another Huge DataBase for everything WOW.

Curse Gaming: Modifications (Addons) to enhance your gaming experience.

Guild Portal: Great site to host your guild. Easy to use.

Guild Universe: Another great site to host your guild.

I'm sure this just scratches the surface. There are many other sites with great information to help anyone looking for it.

Jay_
Formerly known as Carnage
Premium Member
join:2001-05-15
Pickering On

Jay_

Premium Member

Continuation of Shinjuru's post.. some more links!

--
Game Information:

»www.wowhead.com - Another huge database of items/quests/etc same as Thotbott and allakhazam.

»www.goodintentionsguild. ··· hunters# - Very helpful website if you ever play the Hunter class. Complete list of all pets and their abilities.

»www.wow-loot.com/ - This place is very helpful for determining where certain items drop for each class. Has complete lists of items you could use from each instance in the game.

--
Addons & Interface Enhancements:

»www.wowinterface.com - Interface and other types of addons to enhance your gaming experience.

»ui.worldofwar.net - More Interface addons.

»wowace.com - Addons using the Ace and Ace2 program.
Expand your moderator at work

Don69Fire
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
Danville, WV

Don69Fire to justin

Premium Member

to justin

OMG!!! this is definately alot of info for newbies... but what about the guides people are saleing on the net about leveling to 60 in just a couple of days or hours??? anyone wanna let me in on this.. please........

shinjuru

join:2000-10-29
West Coast

shinjuru

There's the nice "Joana's Horde Leveling Guide", which I believe was the original and the horribly put together guide, "Brian Kopp's Alliance Leveling Guide". Neither is worth spending a dime on.
Jon_Hanson
Mountain Dew Rules
Premium Member
join:2001-07-09
Gilbert, AZ

Jon_Hanson to justin

Premium Member

to justin
I just started in World of Warcraft myself (tempted by the free trial and signed up as a paying subscriber). I've been learning as I go (I'm a level 12 or 13 human mage) but have a couple of questions that I haven't seen brought up (I need to add this forum to my favorites):

I've been hanging out in the Stormwind territory and Westfall doing all the quests I can. My Stormwind reputation is now "honored." What does a character's reputation influence in the game itself?

Does it cost me anything to abandon a quest?

I've seen some Horde raids and other times I've just seen Horde characters wandering around not attacking Alliance members (at least they didn't attack me when I was close to them).

One thing I learned was that when you select a creature if its name is yellow it won't attack you if it sees you (unless you attack first), if its name is red then it will attack if it sees you.

I've been asked several times to join a guild. I've just declined every time not knowing what that entails. Is it more of a comraderie thing or does it entail specific duties (like playing at certain times for certain amounts of time)?

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA

1 edit

SixOfNine

Premium Member

said by Jon_Hanson:

My Stormwind reputation is now "honored." What does a character's reputation influence in the game itself?
First, honored reputation qualifies you for a 10% discount on anything purchased from that particular faction.

Certain reputation levels will also allow you to acquire weapons, armor, and recipes/plans/patterns/etc. for primary skills.

Edit: Wowwiki Reputation Guide
said by Jon_Hanson:

Nope, and you can pick it back up later.
said by Jon_Hanson:

I've been asked several times to join a guild. I've just declined every time not knowing what that entails. Is it more of a comraderie thing or does it entail specific duties (like playing at certain times for certain amounts of time)?
Depends on the guild. That's the first thing to learn about a guild. Good for you for not joining a guild blindly. Group with and get to know players in a guild that you might consider joining.

Good luck.
kc0bbq
join:2001-03-22
Cottage Grove, MN

kc0bbq to Jon_Hanson

to Jon_Hanson
said by Jon_Hanson:

I've been hanging out in the Stormwind territory and Westfall doing all the quests I can. My Stormwind reputation is now "honored." What does a character's reputation influence in the game itself?

I've seen some Horde raids and other times I've just seen Horde characters wandering around not attacking Alliance members (at least they didn't attack me when I was close to them).

One thing I learned was that when you select a creature if its name is yellow it won't attack you if it sees you (unless you attack first), if its name is red then it will attack if it sees you.

Faction rep (Ironforge, Gnomergeran Exiles, etc., for Alliance) gives you a 10% discount on purchases at their vendors. Exhalted gives you the chance to buy that group's mounts. Without Exhalted you only can purchase your own group's mount.

It costs nothing to abandon a quest. You can get it again later if you want, but if you are too high a level the ! will be gone, so it might be a pain to find.

If you're not on a PvP server the other side might just be trying to grind, there's no obligation to attack. If you're on a PvE server, they might just not want to fight other players. If you don't have a faction icon by your portrait PvP isn't turned on and you can't be targeted. Even on a PvP server if you are in an area wholly controlled by your side (uncontested, lowbie areas like Elwynn Forest or Westfall) you are not attackable unless you want to be.

Don't join a guild yet unless you really want to. Wait until you find one you like, has rules you like, is as casual or hardcore as you want to play. I helped people by signing guild charters, but didn't really join a guild until I had a character in the mid 50s. On top of that, I played horde and this was an alliance guild, so I started with a fresh character. Once I hit the mid 20s in level I started getting a lot of help from their crafters, or in farming materials so they could make gear. They are pretty casual, nothing is mandatory. It's a family oriented guild (lots of parents in it) so it has to be. As I get to know the other members more I become more and more thankful to be in it.

Some guilds are extremely hardcore. One called Six Feet Deep's guildmaster threatened to kick out anyone who did anything other than grind in instance dungeons until they hit 70 in the new expansion content. No quests, no exploration, nothing. It's idiocy to me.

Best advice I can give is to learn to play your character. If it's frustrating (I can't play a mage to save my life), try another. I've learned hunters are my thing, and druids are a close second. If you are playing and need help with a quest, ask someone around you. If you find a cool guildie, ask about their guild. Add good people to your friends list and whisper them if they are not obviously busy (in a dungeon or whatever, their general location will be on your friends list) to see if they want to quest with you or hit a instance dungeon. If you are at the intended level for a dungeon the closer you get to the 5 person limit the better.

On a similar note, don't be afraid to ignore idiots. /ignore can improve your game session immensely.
Jon_Hanson
Mountain Dew Rules
Premium Member
join:2001-07-09
Gilbert, AZ

Jon_Hanson

Premium Member

I think I stumbled on a Horde raid once that a bunch of people were fighting. I didn't get in close because these were level 30 characters so I wouldn't last long anyway, so I stood back and launched spells at them. As a result I guess I'm "tagged" because I get the little shield by my name when any Horde show up and I'm probably fair game. That's why I was surprised that the two Horde characters I saw by the Jangolode Mine one day didn't try to attack me. I guess they weren't interested. They were actually fighting the Defias Looters that hung around the mine.

Playing a mage is kind of challenging. I've always been partial to mages through all of the role-playing games, I'm not sure why. It's just the character class I gravitate towards.

Clipper
join:2002-05-23
Stoney Creek, ON

Clipper

What your describing is your PvP flag. That little shield indicates your flagged for PvP, meaning you can be attacked at anytime.

How to turn the flag on:

-Type /pvp in your chat window.
-Attack a flagged member of the opposing faction.
-Cast a beneficial spell on a flagged member of your own faction.
-Enter a battleground (You'll learn of these as you level up)
-On a PvP server, If you are in Contested or the opposition territory, your flag will go on automatically. When you enter a territory, it will tell you on screen what type of territory it is. There's 3 types of territories: Alliance controlled, Horde controlled, and Contested. Horde or Alliance controlled territories are Low level zones, typically level 1-18 or so.

Don69Fire
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
Danville, WV

Don69Fire

Premium Member

also if you right click on a PvP in PvE mode you will be fair game too.... can be bad if you just wanna inspect them and you click the wrong button... and they are lvl 58 and you are 24.....

dongyrn
Professional Geek
join:2003-07-14
Martinsburg, WV

dongyrn to Jon_Hanson

to Jon_Hanson
Just to clarify though, if you're flagged for PvP either via attacking a flagged member of the opposing faction, or casting a beneficial spell on a flagged member of your own faction, the PvP flag is temporary and will wear of (not sure about the length of time). So, that's why the good Horde folk did not attack you, your PvP flag had gone away.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to justin

Premium Member

to justin
Thanks justin and everyone here for all of this invaluable information.

I find that, at level 7, I don't always "pull" mobs the right way, I end up dieing because another one joins in. Is this because I am not picking the closest ones? What strategies can keep me from ending up under attack by more than one mob, and is running the only survival thing for me, because it seems my healing spells don't heal me much, plus moving to keys/mouse movements fast enough is a problem sometimes.