newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

newview

Premium Member

[DIRECTV] Hughes GAEB0A Receiver Problem

Beginning Friday night, and continuing throughout the weekend, I started having problems with DirecTV where about every two hours the signal would be lost and the "Preparing Advanced Programming Guide" would come up. Everything would come back up normally and would last about two hours and then would repeat, continuously. Signals are great, all in the high 80s to high 90s.

A called DirecTV Tech Support this morning who scheduled a service call for me for tomorrow (no charge). I figured all was well with the world, and left to go to work.

This evening, the problem has gotten much worse, with the receiver resetting about every 10-15 minutes and coming back up with "Preparing Advanced Programming Guide" and repeating. Needless to say, television is unwatchable tonight.

I called DirecTV again . . . and the Tech Support person elaborated somewhat. She said that a problem with the Hughes GAEB0A Receiver has cropped up over the weekend and they are currently conferring with Hughes over the resolution to the problem. She asked me to do a "hardware reboot" by holding the down button and the power button on the front of the receiver and then releasing them at the same time, which I did, but it does not resolve the problem.

By the way, both times I called DirecTV Tech Support, I was on hold for a fairly long time, which has never happened before.

I'm going to ask the service person for a new (different) receiver tomorrow and ask him to call DirecTV to confirm that it's OK to GIVE me one, no charge.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Dollar4adonut
@69.150.x.x

Dollar4adonut

Anon

Exact same problem here. DirecTV support lines have been busy (not even able to go on hold), but I finally got through. They said all the Hughes receivers were having problems and they were working on it.

If this goes on much longer, I'm going back to the crappy cable service.

Dave21212
@blt1.dsl.speakeasy.n

Dave21212 to newview

Anon

to newview
Same issue here, same symptoms. I called support and they said they were aware of an issue with the Hughes receivers. The said they were on it, and that a refund for the interuption day(s) was on the way.

Penny4adonut
@69.150.x.x

Penny4adonut

Anon

Called again and they said that it should be fixed by noon tomorrow. They said to call back if it wasn't and they would send a new receiver.

Cable company said they could have me running by 5pm if I called by noon and picked up my receivers.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
Parsonsburg, MD

newview

Premium Member

said by Penny4adonut:

Called again and they said that it should be fixed by noon tomorrow. They said to call back if it wasn't and they would send a new receiver.

My service call is supposed to be anytime from 8:00am until 12:00 noon, so I'm going to ask the tech guy to observe the problem and then swap out the receiver with another model to see if it cures it.

I'm pretty certain what he's gonna' see.
thrillkill9
join:2004-03-31
Fort Lauderdale, FL

thrillkill9 to newview

to newview
Same thing here (Fort Lauderdale FL). So if this problem persists they will replace all hughes reviewers? We have two.
dsldsluser
join:2002-11-29
Berkeley, CA

dsldsluser to newview

to newview
I'm also having the same issues. Hopefully its resolved soon

I found this link on the web, according to the posts its a software/update related problem.

»www.satelliteguys.us/sho ··· ?t=43314

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
Parsonsburg, MD

newview

Premium Member

My receiver was replaced today - no charge for the service call or the hardware.

It's the same receiver, a refurbished Hughes GAEB0A , but the tech told me it's been rebuilt with a new mother board and new software . . . apparently the software that DirecTV has been unsuccessfully trying to update on the older ones.

So far, no problems.

QVS
@hstntx.swbell.ne

QVS to newview

Anon

to newview
Same problem with the Hughes receivers in Houston, Texas.
Not sure those Hughes engineers are capable of fixing the problem?
schiker
join:2001-05-03
Seneca, SC

schiker to newview

to newview
Same problem in South Carolina. I do have a GCEB0A with the problem and an HBH-SA that is working fine. Would like to know of any solutions other than new receiver.

Dime4adonut
@69.150.x.x

Dime4adonut

Anon

They are shipping new receivers overnight. Several days now without stable tv. I wonder how many people were affected and how long the problem will go on before everyone demands a new receiver or cancels their service.

Someone really screwed up at DirecTV.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
Parsonsburg, MD

newview

Premium Member

The tech guy I spoke to today wasn't even aware of the problem. He said it was the first he'd ever heard of it when I told him today, and that he hadn't received a memo or communication from DirecTV on it. He also said that he had the same receiver at his home, but had absolutely no problems at all.

There MUST be more than one version of the GAEB0A receiver.
bassdude
join:2001-05-18
Bedford, MA

bassdude

I am having similar problems. I was on hold for 40 minutes yesterday. I was told some of the Hughes were having the problems and some were not. When I commented that I had 2 identical receivers purtchased at exactly the same time and only one was having problems the woman could not explain why.

She instructed me to wait 48 hours and if the problem did not go away to call back. As of last night, 1/19, at about 7:00 EST I was still having problems.

I told the woman I had an extra Hughes HIRD-1 box and could she reassign my smartcard to the new box she recommended against it and once again instructed me to wait and see if things cleared up.
Blue cars
join:2002-01-09
Middletown, NY

Blue cars to newview

to newview
I am having the same problem, called DirectTV 1/18, and was told they would send new receivers to replace the Hughes. My wife called me today at work and said that they just arrived. I will install them tonight and advise how that works.

As a side note, a co-worker also with this trouble called last night about the problem, the tech said that there was a "Virus" that was causing the problem, but had him reboot the receiver to default by:
1) removing card,
2) remove receiver input coax,
3) unplug power for 20 seconds,
4) plug in power,
5) wait for receiver to boot up and insert card,
6) once receiver says that it can not find signal, reconnect the coax.

This slowed the reboots but said that today the reboots are back to every 10 to 15 minutes.

Hope this helps,

Brian.
Blue cars

Blue cars

I installed the new receiver and have been golden since. Good luck everyone, if you are waiting for the patch.

Jeremy341
Bye
Premium Member
join:2000-01-06
localhost

Jeremy341 to newview

Premium Member

to newview
DirecTV has been off to a really rough start in 2005, with the database failures and now the firmware update issues. Hopefully they can get back on track quickly.
thrillkill9
join:2004-03-31
Fort Lauderdale, FL

thrillkill9 to newview

to newview
I was thinking this was happening because they were upgrading our service. I received a "thank you" email from DTV and they said that a lot of new exciting changes will be seen this year, including re-introduction of some interactive features. I am going to call them tomorrow, some chick told me that the issue was going to be fixed today, she said that the patch would be sent to the receivers and fixed. If its not fixed by today I am going to demand a new receiver!
stmfreak
join:2002-02-10
Arlington, WA

stmfreak

I just called after six days of resets to see if I could get new receivers sent. First tier support said yes and transferred me to second tier support... they said that if you eliminate all the watchwords you have set (clear each) and unplug the receiver for 15 seconds it seems to help the system load the new patch that corrects the problem.

I haven't had a reset since, but then they mostly happen in the early morning. Maybe this will help...

If not, second tier support said to call back and they would send replacement receivers. So they must be close to resolving the problem.