Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Farmington, MI

DiskDrive to nickz

Premium Member

to nickz

Re: [Vonage] Sold out numbers

said by nickz:

They normally service that ratecenter but at this time have no available numbers to assign. They will get more but the timeframe unknown.
Therein lies one of the biggest Vonage blunders -- not keeping numbers in stock. My area code has been in high demand. With very small local calling areas (a call even 3 miles away may not be local), there are dozens of rate centers in my area code. The rate center I have right now has been out of stock since I got hooked up back in June... until just a few days ago. Rate centers here disappear very quickly, to the extent where the whole area code was sold out recently.

Vonage is losing major business (at least in this area) by not keeping numbers in serviced rate centers in stock. If they run out of numbers in a rate center, they should be able to add more stock by the next day. If they can't, there should at least be an accurate E.T.A. of when the rate center will again have available numbers. The uncertainty of when a rate center may ever become available has caused people here to not consider Vonage for service, either going to another competitor or not bothering with VoIP altogether.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

THis isn't always a provider issue. I was looking at getting a FL DID from livevoip.com and when I inquired, they informed me that Level3 was even out of numbers in that area. So sometimes it is the big boys that are out of stock.

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
join:2003-01-26
Westland, MI

usa2k to DiskDrive

MVM

to DiskDrive
Sorry, this is a little off topic from 703, but about this availability issue.
said by DiskDrive:

... Therein lies one of the biggest Vonage blunders -- not keeping numbers in stock. My area code has been in high demand. ...
Actually, I find the lack of a good Canton number the best thing that could be for me. A Livonia 734-437 number *seems* local to most people. A Canton number would have incurred lots of local tolls for people calling from Farmington Hills where I work, and South Lyon where I've lived. Maybe you should consider a better choice than Farmington MI.
DiskDrive
Goin' In Circles
Premium Member
Farmington, MI

DiskDrive

Premium Member

said by usa2k:

Actually, I find the lack of a good Canton number the best thing that could be for me. A Livonia 734-437 number *seems* local to most people. A Canton number would have incurred lots of local tolls for people calling from Farmington Hills where I work, and South Lyon where I've lived. Maybe you should consider a better choice than Farmington MI.
Actually, the Farmington number does work best for me, as it was local for my wife's work in Livonia, but also various friends and family in WB and Novi. No other rate center offers local calls from all those places. My POTS line (yes, I still have it) actually has a WB number due to my being on the wrong side of the street for the FH switch, making that a zone call to/from Livonia.

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
join:2003-01-26
Westland, MI

usa2k

MVM

734437_calli···area.zip
78,002 bytes
Thanks OpenOffice.Org for exporting as PDF :)
(734437_calling_area.pdf)
said by DiskDrive:
said by usa2k:

Actually, the Farmington number does work best for me, as it was local for my wife's work in Livonia, but also various friends and family in WB and Novi. No other rate center offers local calls from all those places. My POTS line (yes, I still have it) actually has a WB number due to my being on the wrong side of the street for the FH switch, making that a zone call to/from Livonia.

Hmm, South Lyon is a local toll to me I guess.

Attached is a PDF of 734-437 per what SBC deem local to my number. »localcalling.sbc.com/LCA ··· nput.jsp
DiskDrive
Goin' In Circles
Premium Member
Farmington, MI

DiskDrive

Premium Member

said by usa2k:

Hmm, South Lyon is a local toll to me I guess.
Yep. Somebody had to go sneak the Northville rate center (including Novi) in between, eh?