share rss forum feed

bylo
Premium
join:2004-05-04
Waterloo, ON
reply to gaosan

Re: low snr

said by gaosan:

Here is my line stats. SNr 6.5, atten 63.5.
Can I get better profile? I am on 928k/160k.
It's doubtful. Look at the number of errors: ~3 million per hour! It's amazing that you get connected at all.

How often do you lose your connection?

gaosan

join:2003-04-19
Kanata, ON

Re: Low speed, any chance to go to 1.5 M

bylo,
I do not understand what "RX FEC" means here. my guess is all dada I received was encoded by FEC, so it is not error indicator but just number of data I received. The only error showed should be in "RX CRC". Is this true? May be I need dig some web pages to find out what it exactly means.

My connection is very stable. I got a router behind the modem. My connection is always connected, never drop.

bylo
Premium
join:2004-05-04
Waterloo, ON

1 edit
said by gaosan:

bylo,
I do not understand what "RX FEC" means here. my guess is all dada I received was encoded by FEC, so it is not error indicator but just number of data I received. The only error showed should be in "RX CRC". Is this true? May be I need dig some web pages to find out what it exactly means.
My understanding is that FEC (Forward Error Correction) is a means of adding redundancy such that transmission errors can be corrected by the recipient without having to get the sender to resend the data.

My SS6300 (which has been up for some 44 days now) shows RX FEC = 0 and RX CRC = 530. I'm on a reduced speed line (1768/640) with SNR = 8 and Atten of 44db. Even with those stats I experience the occasional DSL disconnection, however the SS6300 seems to be able to recover without a reboot.

P.S. If a high RX FEC is normal, i.e. indicates amount of data transferred rather than errors, then why is your TX FEC zero?

[Edit] I echo the suggestion to try connecting your DSL modem directly to the demarc so as to rule out bad house wiring. If possible, disconnect the house wiring from the demarc when you perform this test.

Goden99School

@johnabbott.qc.ca
50 Attenuation, you should have an SNR of around 10ish.

Your SNR is low. It really sounds like you have bad wiring in your house.
With out further tests there is no way to find out.

Best thing to do before calling Bell or your ISP to do test is to go outside. UNPLUG the house and plug your modem in if you have the jack demarc. if you have the two wire demarc get a phone wire you don't need and cut the head of and strip the two wires. unplug the house and get yours and the bell wires to touch.
Have an extension cord ofcourse with modem and if you don't have a laptop get a long ethernet wire and run it to your pc and check results.
If the SNR increases more than 3~5 points and attenutation drops and your sync increases by over 200 then you have a wiring problem. Try splitting the phone wire from there. Have it split there directly. one directly to your modem other to filter then to your house. (making your own Pot Splitter)

my3cents4

join:2004-06-19
Ottawa, ON
he doesnt need to do this. if it gets escalated far enough aka the test centre and he is too far they will tell him. your too far your too far. if a line transfer is available he gets it. bell is bending over backwards to bring in the money. hooking up to the dmarc is only proving that the issue is your inside wiring and you neeed to fix that on your own

TilhasBB
Premium
join:2000-08-05
canada
from experiance it looks like it might be some inside wiring.
It might not give him the full 3meg sync but he might improve and might get better signal

CigaR4
Premium
join:2004-08-24
That is true. A few weeks ago I unplugged all my house wiring at the demarc and tested my connection by only putting my modem at the demarcation point, and my SNR levels went from 6.5 to 14 ; an increase of 7.5 which is alot. Now I have to fix my inside wiring.
--
CiG