Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DonLibes
Premium,ExMod 2001
join:2003-01-19

1 edit

"Residents should be thankful" ... riiiight

The above device showed up at the David Taylor Model Basin down the street from us. David Taylor is a site where the fed models submarines. It's right next to the Cardock climbing area and the C&O canal.

Residents asked what the hell it was doing there. The modelling lab sits between an otherwise residential area and a national park. (The modelling lab isn't a site that houses weaponry.)

quote:
Rather than being worried, residents should be thankful for the device, Ziegler said: “I would just say that, you know obviously the Department of Defense is deeply concerned with threats to the region and were preparing to counter those threats. If I were in the community I would not see that as a threat to me, I would see that as something that’s actually a benefit, that would counter an inbound threat.”
Riiiiight.

JAAulde
Web Developer
Premium,MVM
join:2001-05-09
Williamsport, MD
kudos:3

1 edit

While I find it a sad day that we have reached such a time in the United States where we have to see things like this in our everday lives, I do agree with the quoted entity that we should be thankful to have a military with the capability and willingness to protect us.
--
Long my imprisoned spirit lay, Fast bound in sin and nature’s night;
Thine eye diffused a quickening ray—I woke, the dungeon flamed with light;
My chains fell off, my heart was free, I rose, went forth, and followed Thee.

DonLibes
Premium,ExMod 2001

I agree that the government should protect us. It's the placement of the missile launcher that seems rather inappropriate. I can't help thinking that its very placement has made us a target.

JAAulde
Web Developer
Premium,MVM
Williamsport, MD

said by DonLibes:

I can't help thinking that its very placement has made us a target.
I can see the point there.

Also, is there any fencing or warnings around it to keep people away from it? Having worked in a PATRIOT missile unit, I know that the back blast areas around these things is quite large and quite dangerous. Wouldn't want anyone caught there when/if it started shotting!
--

seaquake
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-23
Millersville, MD

1 recommendation

reply to DonLibes

That would be there to shoot down an airliner heading toward DC if my educated guess is right? Hmm. "We're thankful that you've put up a missle launcher in our neighborhood....to shoot down a plane heading toward D.C. Said plane will crash somewhere in our neighborhood" Thankful? No. Pissed that the world has gotten to this point...bingo.

How long until the police blotter has a headline: "Patriot Missle battery stolen, information sought".
--
"Are you on the Distributed Computing Map?"

JAAulde
Web Developer
Premium,MVM
Williamsport, MD

1 edit

said by seaquake:

How long until the police blotter has a headline: "Patriot Missle battery stolen, information sought".
That, Sir, is no PATRIOT. I dunno what it is, but it isn't PATRIOT (unless they have drastically changed them in the last few years).

»images.google.com/images?sourcei···ncher%22

Regardless, it'd be funny if they found it up on blocks one morning!
--

Spiral
No Easy Way To Be Free.
Premium
join:2003-03-04
Baltimore, MD
reply to DonLibes

I'm not familiar with the area. Where exactly is that (city/town/county)?

said by DonLibes:

The above device showed up at the David Taylor Model Basin down the street from us. David Taylor is a site where the fed models submarines. It's right next to the Cardock climbing area and the C&O canal.

DonLibes
Premium,ExMod 2001

said by Spiral:

I'm not familiar with the area. Where exactly is that (city/town/county)?
It's along the Potomac River, a few miles west of Washington DC. I bet seaquake is right - that the missile launcher is meant to protect the high-value targets in DC, not us. For reasons of noise control, the Potomac River defines the flight path for most air traffic to the city.

DonLibes
Premium,ExMod 2001
reply to JAAulde

said by JAAulde:

That, Sir, is no PATRIOT. I dunno what it is, but it isn't PATRIOT (unless they have drastically changed them in the last few years).
Exactly what type of missile launcher was also addressed in the article:
Asked what the weapon was called, he said, “I’m not going to get into that.”
And here's another informative quote:
Asked how long it would remain, he said, “It’s there until it’s gone.”

JAAulde
Web Developer
Premium,MVM
Williamsport, MD

1 edit

said by DonLibes:

said by JAAulde:

Exactly what type of missile launcher was also addressed in the article:
Asked what the weapon was called, he said, “I’m not going to get into that.”
And here's another informative quote:
Asked how long it would remain, he said, “It’s there until it’s gone.”
While I understand the need for classification of certain data, his responses are cocky and assinine.
--

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-27
Springfield, VA
kudos:2
reply to DonLibes

Do you think now that the coronation is over, they might take it away? I would guess that putting that kind of thing in the neighborhood would have a negative impact on property value.
--
TD ECO

seaquake
Premium,MVM
Millersville, MD

said by grobinette:

Do you think now that the coronation is over, they might take it away? I would guess that putting that kind of thing in the neighborhood would have a negative impact on property value.
Good time to have the property re-assessed then.

I just posted Patriot cause everyone has heard of them before. I'd like to know what kind it really is, though, if someone has a clue.
--

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
Springfield, VA

I did some searching and it still looks to be a bank of 6 Patriot Surface to Air missiles. That seems to be the premier weapon system for air defense and has different configurations.
--
TD ECO

JAAulde
Web Developer
Premium,MVM
Williamsport, MD

said by grobinette:

I did some searching and it still looks to be a bank of 6 Patriot Surface to Air missiles. That seems to be the premier weapon system for air defense and has different configurations.
Maybe they have some newer more remotely controlled versions sine I left the Army. The boxe look about the right size, but they don't have that outer frame that I am used to seeing and they are mounted differently in a different number. Searching for PATRIOT I can't find anything that looks like that. But maybe it's too new.

Slightly different subject, does anyone know why I keep typing PATRIOT in all caps?
--

hambone42
Peace, through superior firepower
Premium
join:2002-02-02
Manassas, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by JAAulde:

Slightly different subject, does anyone know why I keep typing PATRIOT in all caps?
Yes. The Army states that PATRIOT is an acronym:

»www.army.mil/fact_files_site/pat···dex.html

However, John Pike's crowd claims that it isn't:

»www.globalsecurity.org/space/sys···riot.htm

YMMV, I guess.
--
Son, there's only one thing you need to know: HEMI

seaquake
Premium,MVM
Millersville, MD
reply to JAAulde

said by JAAulde:

said by grobinette:

Maybe they have some newer more remotely controlled versions sine I left the Army. The boxe look about the right size, but they don't have that outer frame that I am used to seeing and they are mounted differently in a different number. Searching for PATRIOT I can't find anything that looks like that. But maybe it's too new.

When did you leave the Army? According to the HowStuffWorks website, a new version of the PATRIOT missle was released in 2002. That may explain why this launcher looks different than ones you are familiar with. The newer missles have a lot more "smarts" to them than the older missle.
--

JAAulde
Web Developer
Premium,MVM
Williamsport, MD

I left the Army in 2000. But the only thing that changed in 2002 was the missle itself. The launchers, carriers, etc made no major changes along with it.

In 2002 the missile was changed from a proximity eploxsion to a direct-impact explosion along with some other guidance, etc changes.

We were preapring for that change as I left.

Jim
--

car54wheru

join:2002-07-31
Annapolis, MD

Jaaulde, there have been many changes in the last 4 -5 years since you've left us. Do a search on SLAMRAAM & MEADS.

I wouldn't worry about property values, it's on a gov't facility. Langly (CIA) has plenty of "stuff" around them and the homes selling next door are still 1 million plus.

StanHaymarkt

join:2002-08-17
Annandale, VA
reply to DonLibes

Maybe lost in all this very good discussion is - I grew up in Falls Church and always thought it was called Carderock? What the hecht is it really called? Isn't it listed on a Beltway sign somewhere?

DonLibes
Premium,ExMod 2001

Falls Church is a town in Virginia. Carderock is an area (overlapping parts of several towns) in Maryland. They're not at all close to each other.

car54wheru

Annapolis, MD

2 recommendations

reply to car54wheru

Mystery solved, nothing gets past the media:

JAAulde, like I said... many things have changed since 2000.

Excerpt from www.strategypage.com

AIR DEFENSE: The Mystery Missiles of Washington DC

February 1, 2005: Washington DC area commuters driving down Barton Parkway in Potomac, Maryland, couldn't help but notice what looked like a box like missile launcher on the grounds of the old Naval Surface Warfare Center. The launcher did not look like anything familiar. It was smaller than the four missile Patriot container, and appeared to be holding six, smaller, missiles. It turned out that NORAD (the North American Air Defense Command), was in charge of the launcher, and was not saying anything. However, a little research revealed that the mystery launcher was the surface-to-air version of the U.S. air-to-air AMRAAM missile. First developed by Norway, the system has been adopted by several other countries (including Spain and Kuwait). The U.S. Marines are developing their own version, called CLAWS. This system will have AMRAAMs fired from a launcher mounted on a hummer. The box launcher seen outside DC is from the Norwegian system (called NASAMS). The ground launched AMRAAM has a range of about twenty kilometers, and can hit targets as high as 13,000 feet. NASAMS was developed so that it could easily work with different search radars. The 350 pound AMRAAM SAM costs more (about $600,000 each) compared to the air-to-air version (about $380,000), but is basically the same missile. The twelve foot long AMRAAM has its own radar, for ensuring a hit once it has been guided to the vicinity of the target. The missile has a fifty pound warhead, and can take down just about anything that flies, including wide-body commercial transports. The AMRAAMs outside DC are apparently for defense against suicidal pilots, or any unauthorized aircraft in the area that refuse to leave restricted air space.

JAAulde
Web Developer
Premium,MVM
Williamsport, MD

said by car54wheru:

JAAulde, like I said... many things have changed since 2000.
Oh I am sure of that. But I was correct that it wasn't PATRIOT.

rtcpenguin
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Fairfax, VA
reply to DonLibes

Thats messed up. I guess I'm glad that the military is trying to protect us, but as others mentioned, its pretty sad how this administration has gotten us to this point where we have protect ourselves to an extent not seen before.
--
Team [ASA] | Bandwagon Patriot since 9/11/01

JAAulde
Web Developer
Premium,MVM
Williamsport, MD

said by rtcpenguin:

Thats messed up. I guess I'm glad that the military is trying to protect us, but as others mentioned, its pretty sad how this administration has gotten us to this point where we have protect ourselves to an extent not seen before.
yeah--stupid administration. everyone knows nobody wanted to hurt us before this administration. and everyone knows that everything that has happened to us was planned, funded, and executed under this administration. only a matter of months after this silly administration was sworn in the likes of 9-11 was conceived, planned, funded, and executed.
--

rtcpenguin
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Fairfax, VA

said by JAAulde:

said by rtcpenguin:

yeah--stupid administration. everyone knows nobody wanted to hurt us before this administration. and everyone knows that everything that has happened to us was planned, funded, and executed under this administration. only a matter of months after this silly administration was sworn in the likes of 9-11 was conceived, planned, funded, and executed.
Agreed.
--
Team [ASA] | Bandwagon Patriot since 9/11/01

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
Springfield, VA
reply to JAAulde

Ouch, there are plenty of reasons why we are where we are at today. Most of them started many years ago and are not the fault of any particular administration, but more on our overall need and dependency for one particular product.

But it is very sad that the current perception is that there is a need for this type of defense system around particular areas of this country.
--
TD ECO

DonLibes
Premium,ExMod 2001

said by grobinette:

But it is very sad that the current perception is that there is a need for this type of defense system around particular areas of this country.
Agreed. The government never even figured out who was responsible for dropping those anthrax-laced letters in the mail back in 2001. Given our inability to prevent that kind of attack - just from 1 person (which is what the government still thinks), it's hard to figure out why we think it's worth spending so much on unrelated defensive systems.

Last I heard, the postal facility in Trenton, NJ through which the letters passed has never been successfully decontaminated and is still shut down!

car54wheru

Annapolis, MD
reply to rtcpenguin

said by rtcpenguin:

said by JAAulde:

said by rtcpenguin:

Agreed.
JAAulde, yes you were quite correct to point it was not a PATRIOT. I give you kudos, PATRIOT gunners have one of the most stressful jobs... ya can't turn the missile around once you fire it.

I might be wrong, but I don't think rtcpenguin caught your apparent (and appropriate, IMHO) sarcasm.