»Verizon FiOS

Retired6
Premium Member
join:2002-11-09
Earth

Retired6

Premium Member

Big mistake.

You ought to keep all the Verizon stuff in one forum...instead of scattering it elsewhere.

drake
Back to back
MVM
join:2002-06-10
Bridgeport, CT

drake

MVM

Retired6 See Profile - the idea came up late last week: »[request] Official FIOS Threads

I, for one, was against the new forum, but after some new visuals, and seeing the supplement benefits from the new forum, I decided to go along with it.

Tzale
Proud Libertarian Conservative
Premium Member
join:2004-01-06
NYC Metro

Tzale to BBR_InsUW

Premium Member

to BBR_InsUW
Good idea! I was going to post about starting a FIOS forum! I think it is good for the time being. Once FIOS becomes widespread, we can either merge back together or get rid of the DSL forum. But for now, FIOS is mostly just questions about when it will be deployed, not actual service questions like the DSL forum is for.

-Tzale

jonez
Got Anime?
Premium Member
join:2004-09-24
Stow, MA

jonez

Premium Member

I, too think it's a good idea. It keeps all the FIOS questions/reports from cluttering the verizon dsl forum.

brooklynman4
join:2004-09-07
Brewster, NY

brooklynman4 to BBR_InsUW

to BBR_InsUW
i have halow 2 on dvd lol not halo 2 lol

DrVidiBoomBa
No Respect
Premium Member
join:2000-02-17
Bellevue, WA

DrVidiBoomBa to BBR_InsUW

Premium Member

to BBR_InsUW
I thought that the forum split was going to be Verizon East and Verizon West (Ex-GTE)

DSL and Fiber being split is a very good idea....

Ryno
The Wanderer
Premium Member
join:2001-04-07
Danielsville, PA

Ryno to BBR_InsUW

Premium Member

to BBR_InsUW
I like the split forum idea.

One thing though, how would anyone go about proposing a split "test result" area ?
All the speed test results are slowly being taken over by FIOS, Regular DSL soon will not be able to see like results.

gwion
wild colonial boy

join:2000-12-28
Pittsburgh, PA

gwion to DrVidiBoomBa

to DrVidiBoomBa
Verizon east and Verizon west will pretty much officially and practically cease to exist in around 11 months, if things progress on schedule. That is, everybody will be PPPoE and the service tiers will be identical. That means that re-splitting (we once were split, but Verizon west / ex-GTE died of neglect, from what I could tell... I wasn't hosting, yet... but it would be simply irrelevant, and just become a geographical divide, at this point, because of the convergence situation.

FIOS, on the other hand, is a strange brew of convergence by divergence... at first, we'll actually diverge from the mainstream DSL/POTS people, as we adopt fiber, until we all converge, again, with FIOS, way, way down the road. That's what the new forum is meant to respond to.

FIOS people will have different hardware, different packages, and a completely different delivery technology, not related to DSL. Billing and administrative details are still main forum acceptable, of course, in a general sense... also, as this develops, we'll have services other than internet that will be delivered over the FTTP plant. Television, for example... and POTS... if and when fiber develops to the point that we start seeing fiber INSIDE plants in homes, the whole metaphor of networking and telephony will change in a very perceptible way. You can't run light over cat5... or into a standard 10/100 NIC or switch... or plug it into a standard telephone. Not directly. And whether that becomes much of an issue for a long time out, the outside plant's quite different... DSL won't traverse fiber, at all, just for starters. I'm guessing it'll be a side-by-side hybrid network, at first. But down the road we can expect that to be subject to change, as the copper plant ages.

As far as test results, that's a question to pose to site tools. The testing pages are maintained by the site, not the fora. I've always run head on into a list of high-bandwidth business account users, myself, when I tested... the first page is usually 10M plus downside tests. A quick tip, though, that helps me and should be relevant to fiber is to input your zip code on the compare pages... since FIOS will be geographically deployed, you should get a fair sample of your area and be up against at least a few fellow FIOS users, that way... it's probably a good idea, overall, in fact, even for DSL, at least as a starting point. It helps to highlight what people on your CO and immediate neighboring CO's are getting, which can quickly suggest a benchmark for that area, in many cases... DSL performance, in the gross view, is a CO to CO thing, with some CO's being stellar performers, and others having load or tuning problems almost as a standard operating procedure, with any telco.

FIOS was a natural place for a forum split. Different technology, different problems, tips, tricks, discussions, actively in deployment, geographically distinct user bases, new areas added regularly... all the precursors for a useful, active, unique forum. I admit, I didn't jump on it, at first, either... partly because of how it was initially phrased. I couldn't see threads, here, for all of the diverse areas getting it, it would drown the forum in fiber. But when a new forum was suggested, all of the negatives I had already considered for more dedicated threads were positives for a new forum. Traffic was my last reservation. I looked at the amount of fiber optics traffic we have, the Verizon homepage promoting "here and now" FIOS for some of us, but not all of us, and concluded we have a heavy enough FIOS discussion, day to day, it seems, to justify a dedicated sub-forum.

That was it, in a nutshell. So here we go. Another consideration I had was that we're all interested in when and what we'll each see in our areas. Instead of searching a series of 3-800 post threads (the old "official" threads), and then having to look through the forum posts flagged "fiber", we can find the resources and active discussions in an orderly, full forum format down in Verizon Fiber, now.

We can also have resources on fiber technology and issues, generally, and referrals to the BBR »Fiber Optic, where there's a more generalized topical focus on this new technology...
gwion

gwion to BBR_InsUW

to BBR_InsUW

(topic move) Verizon Fiber Optics Forum

Moderator Action
The post that was here, and all followups to it, were moved to a new topic .. »Verizon Fiber Optics Forum
sijaffer3
join:2001-05-09
Lewisville, TX

sijaffer3 to BBR_InsUW

to BBR_InsUW

Re: Verizon Fiber Optics Forum

When will the new FTTP service start. I saw people working in my area and they seem to be done with the wiring. where can I get more info for my area..?

vzjay
@ny325.east.verizon.n

vzjay to BBR_InsUW

Anon

to BBR_InsUW
the best way to tell is to call them. if you wanna know if they provide it in your area, go to the verizon site. FIOS is listed under services.

gwion
wild colonial boy

join:2000-12-28
Pittsburgh, PA

gwion to BBR_InsUW

to BBR_InsUW
Visit us in the forum...

The big buzz always seems to be "where are they now?" -- we even had a new term coined to describe it... "Mad FIOS disease." Ultimately, my understanding is that Verizon's looking towards a 10-15 year system-wide FTTP transition.

Not necessarily great news if your hometown's last on the list... but probably FAR better news than most telcos are offering their subscribers.

let's face it; fiber ubiquity is inevitable. At least we can say Verizon's being realistic and aggressive in moving towards the future, which most telcos simply aren't willing to do. My question, honestly, is when will they realize they're being left behind? The core systems and backbones are all fiber. There's more long haul fiber in America than we know what to do with, a legacy of the dot gone bust and the illusory "new economy" nonsense. The weak link's the last few miles... and I honestly think the companies that leverage fiber most aggressively will be the long run winners, and those who don't will be playing catch up, in the end.

so...

C'mon over and join the fun...

BBR_InsUW
WT or CoH thats my Game

join:2000-04-22
La Mesa, CA

BBR_InsUW

(topic move) Verizon Fiber Optics Forum

Moderator Action
The post that was here, and all followups to it, were moved to a new topic .. »Verizon Fiber Optics Forum
bernardb
join:2000-10-09
Hockessin, DE

bernardb to BBR_InsUW

to BBR_InsUW

Re: Verizon Fiber Optics Forum

»story.news.yahoo.com/s/n ··· JVRPUCUl
flight750
join:2002-03-23
Long Beach, CA

flight750 to Tzale

to Tzale
said by Tzale:

Good idea! ... Once FIOS becomes widespread, we can either merge back together or get rid of the DSL forum.
Yeah... separate is better since many topics will most likely be too different even when it starts rolling out in more areas ... not to mention all of us folks who will probably have to wait longer to get FIOS won't have to read all the painful posts from folks who are downloading small third world countries before breakfast...

-Flight

Edward the Man
@east.verizon.ne

Edward the Man

Anon

Hello,

A few months ago (last fall) Verizon was in my area. Roughly 3-4 trucks and about 4-6 men would arrive in my alley, remove a man hole cover and start work prompt at 12am for about 6 days. Out of curiosity I asked one of them what were they doing in a residential area so late at night? He advised, "We are upgrading/installing Fiber Optics in this area..." I asked him, "Isn't that on the telephone poles?" He replied, "OH NO, that kind of stuff is underground..." He began to use terms that I do no recall now but he explained that he was replacing all sorts of equipment. I didn't think much about it until I notice Verizon offering FIOS and I begin to put 2 and 2 together. I called Billing, and was promptly told that Fios is not being offered in the Baltimore, MD area. I told her she was a lie, I talked to Verizon workers myself and, I began to explain the story mentioned earlier in this post. She advance me that service was for the county. None of that made any sense.

My question to Verizon employees is this:
Are they offering Fios in my area?
If so when?
If not, what were those guys doing in a man hole cover in my alley? Do I need to get the police involved?

NY Tel
Premium Member
join:2004-04-09
Smithtown, NY

NY Tel

Premium Member

said by Edward the Man :

Hello,

A few months ago (last fall) Verizon was in my area. Roughly 3-4 trucks and about 4-6 men would arrive in my alley, remove a man hole cover and start work prompt at 12am for about 6 days.....

My question to Verizon employees is this:
Are they offering Fios in my area?
If so when?
If not, what were those guys doing in a man hole cover in my alley? Do I need to get the police involved?

Edward you have been watching too many Mission Impossible reruns.;)
If you want to find out if FIOS is in your area, go to verizon.com and look for the FIOS link and that will tell you.
As for getting the police involved, don't be ridiculous. Verizon does all sorts of fiber shoots and pulls in their conduit space all the time for commercial businesses, CLECS use etc.
scottyat29
join:2005-08-25
Syracuse, NY

scottyat29 to BBR_InsUW

to BBR_InsUW
Just talked today, 8-30-05, with a Verizon Field Tech here in Syracuse, NY.
Fiber Optics will be placed in the outlying areas of the city, such as Fayetteville, Dewitt, Cicero, Balwinsville before the internal city limits receive Fiber Optics.
All cause it's easier while development/construction is happening in the rural areas than within Syracuse.
So I expect in 50-100 years the job will get done in Syracuse. Time to MOVE where they will have it than to sit here.

asdafjly
@70.105.x.x

asdafjly to BBR_InsUW

Anon

to BBR_InsUW
I am trying to configure outlook express for my verizon email using the FiOS, I am having difficulty making it work for outgoing mail. Am able to get incoming mail. Also now am unable to make it work for older att email account haven't got the settings right yet. Anyone who can advise

NY Tel
Premium Member
join:2004-04-09
Smithtown, NY

NY Tel

Premium Member

Server: outgoing.verizon.net

Under the servers tab check off "My Server requires authorization" then click the settings tab. Check the "Log on using" box.
Account name is your email address without the @verizon.net
Password is the same password you use to sign in.

Then go to the advanced tab and check the SMTP outgoing box and then manually enter port 576 where it asks for a server number.
Leave the incoming alone.

Under delivery check the "Leave a copy of the message on the server" box

Hit apply, OK, OK etc.
Tat SHOULD work but let us know