Search similar:

uniqs
Robert Morrisson
join:2000-03-31
Silver Spring, MD

Robert Morrisson to somebodeez

to somebodeez

Re: FIOS Installation is a go in Montgomery County, MD

The BBU has monitoring lights on the front.

Trouble is, you need a screwdriver to remove the cover panel, which lists the meanings of the lights. Actually, it is rather simple and the manual they provide with the FIOS installation kit explains thing clearly:

System light
Green = Normal operation
Yellow = Running on battery
Blinking green = Running a self-test
Blinking red = Battery is discharged and should be replaced.
Battery light
Green = Normal operation; BBU is in standby
Yellow = Running on battery, or recharging, or conducting a self-test
Red = Battery is low; approximately two hours of talk time left.
Replace Battery light
Dark = Normal
Red = Replace the battery
Auxiliary
Green = Auxiliary battery is connected to the BBU.
Dark = No auxiliary battery pack is connected.
The auxiliary battery pack (ABP) can be ordered from Verizon. This unit provides 2-3 hours of additional talk time. It uses 12 D cell batteries.

The ONT Power Supply Unit (OPSU) is the unit that powers the BBU. This has a green light to tell you it has power.
The ONT, OPSU, and BBU are all Mnemonic Words Aiding Humans (MWAH!). These Ridiculous One Letter Abbreviations (ROLA) indicate a Real Meaning And Name (RMAN) of the WMAH.

If you object to such things, please sign up right away to join ACRONIM, which is the American Council for the Rection Of Names with Idiotic Meanings.
Robert Morrisson

Robert Morrisson to FDM80

to FDM80
Check your phone bill for the correct number.

Or, better yet, sign up on Verizon.Com to manage your account. Once you do you can change your service, view your current phone bill, and find phone numbers for assistance.
FDM80
join:2001-07-16
Silver Spring, MD

FDM80

Yeah, I totally forgot about checking the bill. The only thing I ever bother to take note of is the $$.

PGHammer
join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD

PGHammer to Nymostwanted

to Nymostwanted

Re: FIOS Installation is a go in Montgomery County

said by Nymostwanted:

Nice! I noticed that every person that is qualified for FiOS is serviced by a CO that has these:

SQ High cap mux-DS1 to voice
SN High cap mux DS1C to DS1
SJ High cap mux terminus-DS3 to DS1

Are those the FiOS equiptment installed at the CO?
I have two of the three (SQ and SN), but I'm in Prince George's County (FTWASHMDCP, the furthest southwest of the VZ COs here in the county). Cinsidering that SJ is a DS3 terminus, that likely means it's an endpoint for a DS3 trunk (or functions as a SONET ringpoint).

*Foiled again*
ScottF12345
join:2002-01-17
Silver Spring, MD

ScottF12345

Fios Installation Date: Feb 8th.

20904 (301)384-XXXX is a go.
FDM80
Silver Spring, MD

1 edit

FDM80

Yeah, I just called and they said it was available to our house. Gonna talk it over with the family today, then call back tomorrow and order it.

20904 301-622

The lady actually wanted to know the number I dialed to reach her (1-888-553-1555) and she actually wanted to let me know that that was a good way to get to the right people to order FIOS. She said some people have been calling other verizon numbers and are essentially being bumped all over the place.

Blutorg
@verizon.net

Blutorg to Robert Morrisson

Anon

to Robert Morrisson
Silver Spring is where I live, near Woodmoor and Sligo Creek Park. 1-888-553-1555 confirms I'm now upgradable from 768 dsl. Does anyone know of any FiOS compatibility or configuration issues with wireless home network hardware (currently my Verizon-provided Westell dsl router is connected to my wireless Buffalo WBR2-G54 (54Mbps) for LAN distribution).

Also, what are the routers being offered in the promotion?

Thanks in advance.
FDM80
Silver Spring, MD

FDM80

Well, my understanding is that FIOS still uses PPPoE. So the router (they give you one for free, but I've heard some people say that when they come to install they won't necesarily push theirs if you already have one) shouldn't need much configuration. Your DSL modem will be as functional as a door stop afterwards. You'll have ethernet come straight out of the wall instead of out of the modem.
Chase99
join:2002-10-01
Silver Spring, MD

Chase99 to Robert Morrisson

to Robert Morrisson

Silver Spring, MD 20906, 301-933. Installation schduled for February 8th.
Robert Morrisson
Silver Spring, MD

Robert Morrisson to Blutorg

to Blutorg

Your network should work exactly as it does now. Just unplug the Westel DSL "modem" (or a cable modem) and plug in the line to FIOS.

Verizon will furnish a D-Link DI604 router at no cost. That is the router they support. After they leave you can do whatever you like. You could disable the DHCP on either the Buffalo or the D-Link and let one unit server as the DHCP server.

Verizon will sell you a wireless router at a discount. Again, you are free to use what you like after they leave. They only support what they furnish.
Robert Morrisson

Robert Morrisson to Chase99

to Chase99

It sounds as if they are rolling this out for real.

Did they make you sign an on-line form acknowledging that this is just a trial, and not the real thing?
Chase99
Silver Spring, MD

to Robert Morrisson
Nope. No disclaimers of any kind.

HouseHome
There's Nothing Like Home
join:2000-10-25
Silver Spring, MD

HouseHome

CO ready?

Here's a shout out to Silver Spring

Does anyone monitoring this thread know when my CO at 8670 Georgia Avenue will be wired/upgraded for Fiber Optic service?

All of the fiber has been strung in my area. Now we are waiting for the CO to be wired. After the CO is wired my telephone exchange 301-587 will then be eligble for FIOS. Anyone know the status?

Peace

JTRockville
Data Ho
Premium Member
join:2002-01-28
Rockville, MD

JTRockville

Premium Member

splicer2 See Profile posted a list of COs where FiOS is currently being deployed. Oakdale (OLNYMDOK) on Georgia Avenue is on the list.
»Re: FIOS in Montgomery County!

sdgthy posted an official Verizon press release listing the exchanges where FiOS is currently available. None of the Oakdale exchanges are on that list.
»Official Availability Annoucements

HouseHome
Silver Spring, MD

HouseHome

Hey JT

I've seen/read "all" of splicer's posts. The Oakdale CO is in the 11 thousand block of Georgia Avenue. My CO is 8670 Georgia Avenue which is one block away from the Discovery Channel headquarters at Georgia Avenue and Colesville Road.

I was hoping Splicer would know when or what quarter the CO at 8670 Georgia Avenue was going to be wired. As soon as it is my telephone exchange will then be FIOS eligible.

Peace
Master_10_
join:2003-04-24
Silver Spring, MD

Master_10_

I have the same exchange as you, 301-587. My neighborhood does not have fiber strung up yet. They stop right on the entrance of I-495 on Georgia Avenue.
diakritik0s
join:2004-12-16
Rockville, MD

diakritik0s to Robert Morrisson

to Robert Morrisson

JTRockville

is my CO the same as yours ..?
im at twinbrook and viers mill rd

and also isnt there another fios forum..i saw it one time but i forget the site...i did see you post there

thanks

HouseHome
Silver Spring, MD

HouseHome to Master_10_

to Master_10_

Re: CO ready?

Master_10_

I've talked to the techs who strung the fiber. It's in my neighborhood. I'm in the four corners (1 mile from it) area near Blair High School.
Robert Morrisson
Silver Spring, MD

Robert Morrisson to HouseHome

to HouseHome
Go to www.Verizon.Net and check to see if you qualify for DSL. If you qualify for fiber you will be advised.
Robert Morrisson

Robert Morrisson to diakritik0s

to diakritik0s

If you are in the Whitehall exchange (942, 946, 949) there is a good chance you will be wired.

Look around the neighborhood beige boxes tacked onto the poles. You may also see some big rubber splice boxes hanging from the poles temporarily, usually near the beige boxes.

If you have underground wiring, look for new orange cable ducts coming through the ground.

JTRockville
Data Ho
Premium Member
Rockville, MD

JTRockville to HouseHome

Premium Member

to HouseHome

Re: CO ready?

said by HouseHome:

I was hoping Splicer would know when or what quarter the CO at 8670 Georgia Avenue was going to be wired. As soon as it is my telephone exchange will then be FIOS eligible.
Oh, your CO is SLSPMDSS. I haven't seen that one mentioned in any of splicer2 See Profile's posts.
JTRockville

JTRockville to diakritik0s

Premium Member

to diakritik0s

said by diakritik0s:

JTRockville

is my CO the same as yours ..?
im at twinbrook and viers mill rd

and also isnt there another fios forum..i saw it one time but i forget the site...i did see you post there

thanks
I'm not sure which CO serves you. Mine is the one on Montrose Road (RKVLMDMR). What's your exchange?

The other fios forum is:
»fios.3v3bizich.com/
splicer2
Premium Member
join:2004-08-27
Pasadena, MD

splicer2

Premium Member

I havent heard about the Silver Spring CO. That doesnt mean it isnt being done.HouseHome said they spoke to someone or seen some installation. If I get any update info I'll post.
AEHMOTX
join:2004-04-12

AEHMOTX to JTRockville

to JTRockville
JTRockville, according to your map FIOS isn't in the SLSPMDSS CO (Downtown Silver Spring). Do you have any idea (or anybody else) when it will reach there? Since the downtown is going through major redevelopment and all wires are required to be underground will they be installing in offices and apartments (new and old) anytime soon?

JTRockville
Data Ho
Premium Member
Rockville, MD

JTRockville

Premium Member

Heh, it's not exactly my map (even though the color of my CO is unique). I got the original map from BBR's coinfo (»/coinfo), then just updated it with info I got from rummaging around through topics:
»Is Fiber coming to Maryland TOO ???
plus what splicer2 See Profile posted in this and other topics.

Sorry, I wish I had more information to offer. It's really tough to be patient, eh?
Chase99
Silver Spring, MD

1 recommendation

to Robert Morrisson
Okay, the install is all done and the techs are gone. THIS THING FLIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For those of you waiting, be patient it's worth the wait.
LuvAtLast
Premium Member
join:2002-12-27
Silver Spring, MD

LuvAtLast

Premium Member

Chase99,

Are you north or south of Bel Pre Road off Layhill?
FDM80
Silver Spring, MD

1 edit

FDM80 to Chase99

to Chase99

said by Chase99:

Okay, the install is all done and the techs are gone. THIS THING FLIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For those of you waiting, be patient it's worth the wait.
Sweet! My intall date is tomorrow. I can't wait. How long was the install for you?
Master_10_
join:2003-04-24
Silver Spring, MD

Master_10_ to Chase99

to Chase99

which CO are you on?
splicer2
Premium Member
join:2004-08-27
Pasadena, MD

splicer2