somebodeez
MVM
join:2001-09-24
here

somebodeez to Robert Morrisson

MVM

to Robert Morrisson

Re: FIOS Installation is a go in Montgomery County, MD

Very interesting things here - I sure do learn a lot from this board!

"Unlike a copper phone network, there is no power in the fiber system. If the power fails, the phones will die after about 8 hours running on the BBU."

I have an APS for my computer stuff. It wasn't very long ago that I purchased it so I haven't gone through the experience of finding a replacement battery and installing it yet. Having said that -

Comparing that w/the BBU that Verizon supplies:

My APS recharges itself. Does the BBU?

My APS is suppose to indicate when it's time to replace the battery.(If I remember what it said in the manual correctly) Does the BBU do that? If not and we have to solely depend on Verizon to let us know when it's time to get a new battery, how reliable and timely are they going to be ?
I've been through the "cross your fingers and hope you get a good tech" routine many times w/Comcast and a bit during my very brief DSL period with Verizon so naturally, I do have reservations about this.

All this talk of things long gone by and how they can't compare with the things we have today is all very well and fine. However, my copper wire phones are not long gone by,(yet) have always been dependable, still are (even during a 3 day power outage and without having to buy anything else to make them so and without having to "make it quick, my battery is getting low", no static, no dead zones etc) and while yes, we do have cell phones,we still rely heavily on our copper wire phones.I'm not so sure I can convince DH to give that up

I have been just as anxious as everyone else for FIOS to come my way and I still am!

"Verizon is on their second version of the ONT and BBU; given the trouble this crew had getting the BBU mounted and wired they will need to re-design it yet again."

However, maybe it's a good thing it's not here yet while they work that out and maybe some other kinks.
In the mean time,thank you so much for posting your experiences with FIOS! I hope you continue to do so that I can learn more

Robert Morrisson
join:2000-03-31
Silver Spring, MD

Robert Morrisson

APS? American Power UPS?

By the time a UPS that you buy locally loses its battery you will probably find it less expensive to buy a new unit.

The battery is the major cost of the unit and replacement parts always cost more than they did in the original system. One of my early APC systems provided 200 VA and cost over $100. My latest acquisition cost $80 and provides 800 VA.

The BBU power supply connects to the house mains; you are required to furnish a nearby outlet. This unit keeps the battery charged. Unlike a regular UPS, there is no inverter. The ONT runs from the same voltage the battery produces so you don't have to step it up to 120 volts only to transform it back to low voltage.

"Cross you fingers and hope you get a good tech" at Comcast???? Surely, you jest (and your name isn't "Shirley"). Most of them can't spell "IP" or "RF" and after a bit of training they are experts who apologize a lot but can't understand basic concepts like "ping" and "connectivity".

When I pulled the cable modem I asked Comcast to furnish me with a "barrel" to connect the two cables in place of their three way splitter. It is just a splice. Otherwise, you need a terminating resistor to cover the now-open connection on the splitter.

Their clerk on the phone had not a clue what I was talking about and did not understand that unterminated connections could cause troubles. When I returned the modem to Comcast a supervisor spent 1/2 hour trying to find out what I needed.

She insisted I buy one at Radio Shack. I insisted that since this was their cable they should provide an approved barrel, and that one from Radio Shack might support only 900 MHz cable, not 1000 MHz. She was clueless.

A technician wandered in. She asked him for a ... she turned to me and asked what it was and I told her ... "barrel???". He produced a hand full of them.

Verizon has been quite good. I have called DSL support a few times and only once gotten a run-around. The FIOS team seems equally good.

So, with FIOS you risk losing your phones if the power fails more than 4-8 hours. You are also liable for the battery replacement every few years. But the advantages seem to outweigh the disadvantages. My Web pages come in FAST. Pages I post to my site www.Eagle-Wing.Net go up in seconds.

As for the design of the ONT and BBU, well, that will evolve over time.

somebodeez
MVM
join:2001-09-24
here

somebodeez

MVM

said by Robert Morrisson:

APS? American Power UPS?

By the time a UPS that you buy locally loses its battery you will probably find it less expensive to buy a new unit.

The battery is the major cost of the unit and replacement parts always cost more than they did in the original system. One of my early APC systems provided 200 VA and cost over $100. My latest acquisition cost $80 and provides 800 VA.
Oops! My mistake (blush). Mine is an APC too.
Again, thank you for the info - that's good to know.

"Cross you fingers and hope you get a good tech" at Comcast???? Surely, you jest (and your name isn't "Shirley")...

...So, with FIOS you risk losing your phones if the power fails more than 4-8 hours. You are also liable for the battery replacement every few years. But the advantages seem to outweigh the disadvantages.
Haha! I'm sure there are many more people with "amusing" stories they could tell about their experiences w/ tech support.

You can understand my hesitation about having to rely of someone else to tell me my battery's going down. On the flip side, I suppose there are Tech support people w/their own stories they could tell too and perhaps if they can see when someone's battery needs to be replaced this could help them avoid a lot of un-necessary phonecalls from us.

As for the design of the ONT and BBU, well, that will evolve over time.
I hope so.
IMHO, the BBU needs to have some sort of alert available to us as well. Never hurts to cover both ends
ScottF12345
join:2002-01-17
Silver Spring, MD

ScottF12345

WOHOOOO....

20904 zip 301-384-XXXX ....

We are now selling Verizon Fios Internet Service in your area. Although we are not taking online orders at this time, please call your local Verizon business office to verify eligibility and place your order today.

Called up but theyre closed on sundays....Hope this is a go!

Nymostwanted
Who Cares?
Premium Member
join:2004-06-25
Bronx, NY

Nymostwanted

Premium Member

Re: FIOS Installation is a go in Montgomery County

Nice! I noticed that every person that is qualified for FiOS is serviced by a CO that has these:

SQ High cap mux-DS1 to voice
SN High cap mux DS1C to DS1
SJ High cap mux terminus-DS3 to DS1

Are those the FiOS equiptment installed at the CO?
FDM80
join:2001-07-16
Silver Spring, MD

FDM80 to ScottF12345

to ScottF12345

Re: FIOS Installation is a go in Montgomery County, MD

said by ScottF12345:

WOHOOOO....

20904 zip 301-384-XXXX ....

We are now selling Verizon Fios Internet Service in your area. Although we are not taking online orders at this time, please call your local Verizon business office to verify eligibility and place your order today.

Called up but theyre closed on sundays....Hope this is a go!
Well, this site reports that the 301-384 is the Colesville CO which I am on but I am 301-622. I assume the local Verizon business office is not the 1-800-567-6789 number. What is the local office number?
ScottF12345
Silver Spring, MD

ScottF12345

got me.... i called the verizon fios number... 1888-something with 553 in it i think.. searched the forums and fonud it... the recording says "judging by the phone nmber you enter fios may be available. normally we would direct you to a live representativ but our office is closed."

HouseHome
There's Nothing Like Home
join:2000-10-25
Silver Spring, MD

HouseHome to FDM80

to FDM80
Here's a shout-out to everyone in Silver Spring

I've been reading this thread with excitment for some time. I've also been talking to anyone who drives a Verizon truck!
Just for the heck of it I called the FIOS center in Beltsville, telephone #1-888-553-1555, Saturday the 29th to get an update on my neighborhood. It's not ready yet! The customer service people at the call center are really, really nice and will chat with you and answer any questions if they can.

As I said I've been following the FIOS thread(s) for some time now. The young lady I talked to Saturday reminded me that the way that FIOS is being "lit-up" is that your CO (she called it the wire center") has to be upgraded before your exchange/area is listed as ready for FIOS. I had read that in one of these threads, but had forgotten it.

Also, she told me that the FIOS center there in Beltsville will call the customer to notify them of FIOS availability and if they can't get to you with a phone call they will email you if you have registered online for FIOS. I'm not real sure that either of the two notices I listed above is true because I have never seen anyone say in these threads that's the way they were notified that FIOS was ready to be installed. Oh well, the only thing we all can do is wait.

Peace out
Robert Morrisson
join:2000-03-31
Silver Spring, MD

Robert Morrisson to somebodeez

to somebodeez
The BBU has monitoring lights on the front.

Trouble is, you need a screwdriver to remove the cover panel, which lists the meanings of the lights. Actually, it is rather simple and the manual they provide with the FIOS installation kit explains thing clearly:

System light
Green = Normal operation
Yellow = Running on battery
Blinking green = Running a self-test
Blinking red = Battery is discharged and should be replaced.
Battery light
Green = Normal operation; BBU is in standby
Yellow = Running on battery, or recharging, or conducting a self-test
Red = Battery is low; approximately two hours of talk time left.
Replace Battery light
Dark = Normal
Red = Replace the battery
Auxiliary
Green = Auxiliary battery is connected to the BBU.
Dark = No auxiliary battery pack is connected.
The auxiliary battery pack (ABP) can be ordered from Verizon. This unit provides 2-3 hours of additional talk time. It uses 12 D cell batteries.

The ONT Power Supply Unit (OPSU) is the unit that powers the BBU. This has a green light to tell you it has power.
The ONT, OPSU, and BBU are all Mnemonic Words Aiding Humans (MWAH!). These Ridiculous One Letter Abbreviations (ROLA) indicate a Real Meaning And Name (RMAN) of the WMAH.

If you object to such things, please sign up right away to join ACRONIM, which is the American Council for the Rection Of Names with Idiotic Meanings.
Robert Morrisson

Robert Morrisson to FDM80

to FDM80
Check your phone bill for the correct number.

Or, better yet, sign up on Verizon.Com to manage your account. Once you do you can change your service, view your current phone bill, and find phone numbers for assistance.
FDM80
Silver Spring, MD

FDM80

Yeah, I totally forgot about checking the bill. The only thing I ever bother to take note of is the $$.

PGHammer
join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD

PGHammer to Nymostwanted

to Nymostwanted

Re: FIOS Installation is a go in Montgomery County

said by Nymostwanted:

Nice! I noticed that every person that is qualified for FiOS is serviced by a CO that has these:

SQ High cap mux-DS1 to voice
SN High cap mux DS1C to DS1
SJ High cap mux terminus-DS3 to DS1

Are those the FiOS equiptment installed at the CO?
I have two of the three (SQ and SN), but I'm in Prince George's County (FTWASHMDCP, the furthest southwest of the VZ COs here in the county). Cinsidering that SJ is a DS3 terminus, that likely means it's an endpoint for a DS3 trunk (or functions as a SONET ringpoint).

*Foiled again*
ScottF12345
Silver Spring, MD

ScottF12345

Fios Installation Date: Feb 8th.

20904 (301)384-XXXX is a go.
FDM80
Silver Spring, MD

1 edit

FDM80

Yeah, I just called and they said it was available to our house. Gonna talk it over with the family today, then call back tomorrow and order it.

20904 301-622

The lady actually wanted to know the number I dialed to reach her (1-888-553-1555) and she actually wanted to let me know that that was a good way to get to the right people to order FIOS. She said some people have been calling other verizon numbers and are essentially being bumped all over the place.
jplynn
join:2003-07-14
Silver Spring, MD

jplynn to HouseHome

to HouseHome
I had my fios installed yesterday. It's verrrry fast!
BLinBalto
Premium Member
join:2004-01-15
Ashton, MD

BLinBalto

Premium Member

Can you tell me the specifics of the setup? Type of modem/router? Using wireless (802.11x)? Any client SW required on any of your PCs? I called the sales line (888GETFIOS) and there were not very specific. Iam on Comcast now, and am very displeased with uptime. Looking to put FIOS in as a replacement and/or backup (or most likely keep Comcast as backup). THANKS!