All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
rickyr
join:2004-05-23

rickyr to Robert Morrisson

to Robert Morrisson

Re: FIOS Installation is a go in Montgomery County

Dammnit! I live in MoCo and when I go to Verizon's site it and put my number it says service still isn't available. Did you call or were you approved online?

Congratulations btw, that Fiber looks awesome.
Robert Morrisson
join:2000-03-31
Silver Spring, MD

Robert Morrisson

I checked on line for several weeks. Just go to www.Verizon.Net and see if you qualify to DSL. If FIOS is available they will tell you.

For some time the browser would cycle through several pages, finally landing on one that told me DSL was available.

One day the browser stopped at the FIOS page. At that point I was given options to order the service.

The crew that installed my system said it was their fifth installation. They had five people, several in training. As the techs gain experience installing systems for the techie crowd, like those of us reading these postings, they will be able to get it down to a science with the common homeowner.

There is a wow-and-dazzle demo they have to run through with the customer, including bookmarking 7 pages. I let them do their thing because they were training the new people, but I did not let them play the long video with the thumping music.

Just think - Verizon paid someone with perfect teeth and perfect hair and a television voice a lot of money to make that video. I just clicked out of it and never watched it. Pity.
FDM80
join:2001-07-16
Silver Spring, MD

FDM80

said by Robert Morrisson:

I checked on line for several weeks. Just go to www.Verizon.Net and see if you qualify to DSL. If FIOS is available they will tell you.
For all the people who have DSL from verizon, checking for DSL will always result in the system saying you already have DSL so it probably would never throw you to the FIOS options.
Robert Morrisson
Silver Spring, MD

Robert Morrisson

Oh, but it does.

Blutorg
@verizon.net

Blutorg

Anon

Silver Spring is where I live, near Woodmoor and Sligo Creek Park. 1-888-553-1555 confirms I'm now upgradable from 768 dsl. Does anyone know of any FiOS compatibility or configuration issues with wireless home network hardware (currently my Verizon-provided Westell dsl router is connected to my wireless Buffalo WBR2-G54 (54Mbps) for LAN distribution).

Also, what are the routers being offered in the promotion?

Thanks in advance.
FDM80
join:2001-07-16
Silver Spring, MD

FDM80

Well, my understanding is that FIOS still uses PPPoE. So the router (they give you one for free, but I've heard some people say that when they come to install they won't necesarily push theirs if you already have one) shouldn't need much configuration. Your DSL modem will be as functional as a door stop afterwards. You'll have ethernet come straight out of the wall instead of out of the modem.
Robert Morrisson
Silver Spring, MD

Robert Morrisson to Blutorg

to Blutorg
Your network should work exactly as it does now. Just unplug the Westel DSL "modem" (or a cable modem) and plug in the line to FIOS.

Verizon will furnish a D-Link DI604 router at no cost. That is the router they support. After they leave you can do whatever you like. You could disable the DHCP on either the Buffalo or the D-Link and let one unit server as the DHCP server.

Verizon will sell you a wireless router at a discount. Again, you are free to use what you like after they leave. They only support what they furnish.