how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Black Moon

@194.152.x.x

DSL problems (long)

Dear chaps,

I have been having some frequent problems with my DSL connection (I use Aserty). THe problem is not the ISP and is not my Primus VoIP gateway (D-Link DVG-1120), which cats as my router. The problem might be with my Ovislink OV-303A DSL modem. Please allow me to explain.

Since a few months ago, it happens on a semi-regular basis that my DSL modem spontaneously disconnects and then tries to re-establish the connection. My phone line is about 5.3 Km and I am on a 1728/640 profile. Line stats are good: SNR is typically around 14, attenuation down is about 53 and up around 31 (as far as I remember, have not checked recently). I have asked my ISP and Bell frequently to check my stats and they are fine and always have been.

Sometimes, though, the modem would connect at 224/640 or even 96/640 (no kidding) and the only way to get it back to 1728/640 was to power cycle it. Whenever it connected at those speeds, the number of CRC errors in the modem log went through the roof.

A few weeks ago I noticed that the splitter I have plugged into the wall jack, had a tiny bit of room to manouvre. AS such, I used tape to secure the splitter in the wall jack, so that it won't jitter.

This solved some of my disconnections for a brief time. I have also changed filters a few times, and even used two. I thought the filters were rotten because when the modem disconnected, I picked up the phone while it was trying to establish a connection. In many cases, as long as the dial tone was there, the modem did nothing. The moment the dial tone went dead, the modem was able to establish a connection and I could hear all kinds of high-pitched whistling and other noises. With some filters I got this noise, and with some I did not. Changing filters often helped, but only in the short run. I also monitored my modem's logs for CRC errors and as long as the dial tone was there, the number of CRC errors increased very quickly in a short time. They ceased to increase once the dial tone went dead.

Additionally, it happens frequently that when I pick up the phone to make a call or when someone calls me and I pick up the phone to receive the incoming call, my modem disconnects, even when I have 2 filters on it. I was told by Aserty and Bell that this should not happen. I should add this happens both with my cordless 900 MHz phone and a corded phone I have as backup (in case of a power failure).

When I make or receive a VoIP call, it regularly happens that the call quality is very bad due to the modem having difficulty keeping the connection. I would hear all kinds of noises, static and interference and resetting the modem is often the only way to stop it, though only temporarily. I should add that no other traffic was flowing through the DSL line at that time.

Has anyone got an idea what on Earth is going on? I called my ISP many times and they don't have a clue what causes this. Neither does Bell. I checked my phone wires and they are fine. I remind you that the problems only started after having the service for several months. Before that it performed flawlessly.

Thanks in advance.

Black Moon

Happyrat6
Google Is Your Best Friend
Premium
join:2002-07-01
Disneyland

The first thing I would do if I was in your situation, given what you've told us, is to replace the crappy splitter and wall jack with a multiple output wall jack. That should eliminate any flaky wiring concerns...
--
Subtlety is wasted on the dense... »www.fuzzyrat.com

Black Moon

@72.1.x.x

Right, I'll see what I can do. Never tried any of these things.

MacGyver
Don't Waste Your Energy
Premium,ExMod 2003-05
join:2001-10-14
Canada
kudos:2

It's easy to work with telephone wiring. Consult the »Inside Wiring FAQ for more info.

Black Moon

@avantel.net.mx

Thanks for the tips. I opened the jack but I don't have the tools and know-how to perform a split.

So instead I went to Radioshack and bought another splitter but this time one with all female contacts. The previous one had two female contacts for the split signal and one male which was plugged into the wall jack. I now have a short, 13cm, wire from the jack to the splitter, with one connected to the VoIP gateway with a filter and the other one to the DSL modem without a filter. I should add that the clips on the 13cm wire fit a lot better into the wall jack.

If it still doesn't work, then I might try to install a 2-outlet wall jack.

Happyrat6
Google Is Your Best Friend
Premium
join:2002-07-01
Disneyland
reply to Black Moon

One thing to remember is that the wires you are working with are Live.

There's not enough voltage or current to kill you but if the phone rings while you are working you could get a slightly alarming shock.

Also if you allow the wires to short while working you could blow your fuse. And phone fuses are not available at your local hardware store.

If you really have no clue about doing wiring you might want to consider hiring someone to do it for you.
--
Subtlety is wasted on the dense... »www.fuzzyrat.com

Black Moon

@tel-ott.com

Yup, I have thought about that as well, but don't know anyone. I will first see how this goes.

I did once get a shock from touching the DSL modem on the outside when I flipped the switch in the back. Weird.

Black Moon

join:2005-02-01
Scarborough, ON

Just as an update, I no longer seem to get disconnected now that I use the new splitter. Additionally, my SNR went up from 11 to 14.